The Bishop In Tynwald

Don't only remove the Bishop from Tynwald, remove the Legislative Council lock, stock and barrel. There is no need for any of them.

Spot on Carbon Selector. If outstanding democracies such as Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, New Zealand can manage with one chamber why can't we?

As far as I can see we had a unicameral system until 1866. So our bicameral system is a Victorian (probably English) hangover - nothing to do with our 'glorious' Viking past which, based on modern Scandinavian and Baltic democracy, would get shut of the LegCo.

Edited by manshimajin
  • Like 1

I understand the bishop has a vote in Tynwald.. I am an atheist and wonder why there is no-one who represents atheists. Perhaps we also need a person to represent Muslims,, and all the others.smile.png .

I'm an incompetent useless idiot, so I have plenty of representation. ermm.gif

• Like 1

I understand the bishop has a vote in Tynwald.. I am an atheist and wonder why there is no-one who represents atheists. Perhaps we also need a person to represent Muslims,, and all the others.smile.png .

Or maybe there shouldn't be anyone in a voting position being there as a representative of any faith whatsoever.

I understand the "bish" voted against the reduction in road tax on vintage motorbikes, despite "the roar of Moses 'Triumph'being heard throughout all Israel" whistling.gif

• Like 2

Don't only remove the Bishop from Tynwald, remove the Legislative Council lock, stock and barrel. There is no need for any of them.

As far as I can see we had a unicameral system until 1866. So our bicameral system is a Victorian (probably English) hangover - nothing to do with our 'glorious' Viking past which, based on modern Scandinavian and Baltic democracy, would get shut of the LegCo.

We have a tricameral system though. Which of course, is worse in terms of over Government, waste, patronage and general bollocks.

I am not alone in strongly suggesting that we don't have a tricameral system, we have a bicameral system. Just because two branches sit together, doesn't make it another chamber.

(Legislative Council has been going strong long before 1866, although in quite a different form than it is today, and that up until December 1919)

• 3 weeks later...

click

"The Clerk of Tynwald’s office confirmed that as at the August payroll, five members were not making a voluntary pension contribution. It could not name them but has since confirmed that Bishop Robert Paterson, who is not a member of the scheme, was counted as one of the five."

So it is confirmed that the taxpayer is funding the CoE appointment of a bishop, will the Catholic, Elim, Methodist et al Church's be able to get support for their appointments

click

"The Clerk of Tynwald’s office confirmed that as at the August payroll, five members were not making a voluntary pension contribution. It could not name them but has since confirmed that Bishop Robert Paterson, who is not a member of the scheme, was counted as one of the five."

So it is confirmed that the taxpayer is funding the CoE appointment of a bishop, will the Catholic, Elim, Methodist et al Church's be able to get support for their appointments

This has been done to death!

I am sure you will find that the Bishop does not receive funds from the taxpayer…He is paid a salary and ultimately a pension by and through the Church of England effectively his employers and that it is higher than such a backwater posting would otherwise merit due to the Tynwald duties…

Being Bishop of Sodor and Mann does not count for much in C of E politics a bit like being Chief Constable is not much compared to others in the UK…

The Church uses the Tynwald seat and vote to attract people to the post and the extra bit of pay for being in Tynwald adds to the attraction and boosts the wages …as does being a “Lord Bishop” add kudos…

It is not that the Church resists removing the Bishop’s vote&/or seat but takes the view that if the Lord Bishop is out of Tynwald or has no vote then the Church will not have need pay the extra wages to make the post attractive…The same applies if he is no longer a Lord Bishop….

So if there were no Tynwald vote and duties then no one will want the job on the basic wage as would be payable in such a small diocese…

If the Bishop and/or his vote are removed from Tynwald then the Church will economise by demoting the Diocese of Sodor and Mann and bringing it under the Diocese of Carlisle so that the cathedral in Peel will no longer be a cathedral and the Church in Mann probably run by an Archdeacon or a Dean.

So far the Manx Establishment wants to keep the Lord Bishop because they want the Island to have a cathedral.

This is what they told me ages ago when I researched a radio item for Roger Watterson…

There used to be an explanatory website about the post of Lord Bishop as maintained by the Island’s Vicar General ie head of the Island’s Consistory Court (Church court that is).....

Whilst I don't think he should be there it is interesting to see the god botherers watching him when they speak. As such he serves a purpose in keeping them in check and stopping them using their homespun philosophy to support their rantings. I think the present Bish is a decent bloke and basically caring for the ordinary man/woman.

but what if he gets elected as the new Archbishop of Canterbury? Has our Bishop said he's not a candidate?

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/news/archbishop_of_canterbury_decision_set_for_delay_1_1566195

Whilst I don't think he should be there it is interesting to see the god botherers watching him when they speak. As such he serves a purpose in keeping them in check and stopping them using their homespun philosophy to support their rantings. I think the present Bish is a decent bloke and basically caring for the ordinary man/woman.

Interesting, if I understand you you're basically saying he's needed because the current MHKs are so overly righeteous we need a religious guy (albeit from the church of england which is basically not religious) to keep holier than thou policies supressed?

I can get behind that :)