Making A Stand Against Isle Of Man Government

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guessed it would only be a matter of time:  

We need to drop councils altogether, there is simply not the need for a 2 tiered government over here, just jobs for the boys.   Every council has its own silly set of byelaws that could be unified

If they closed ranks, then how the hell did you win?Seems like you're on a revenge mission and although I'm pleased that you won your case, it seems wrong to tar everyone with the same brush. I'm a ci

Posted Images

Mulokin, I feel you are taking advantage of this site by airing your personal grievances and using members on this site.

Posting untrue remarks about our MHK'S, could lead you into a quagmire of problems.

I'm unclear about what you are trying to achieve by undermining the Government in POWER!! Who have been voted in by the people of this Island. Maybe your just not a true manx man.

This site is for public discussions not personal agendas against our Government.

Mulokin, I feel you are taking advantage of this site by airing your personal grievances and using members on this site.

Posting untrue remarks about our MHK'S, could lead you into a quagmire of problems.

I'm unclear about what you are trying to achieve by undermining the Government in POWER!! Who have been voted in by the people of this Island. Maybe your just not a true manx man.

This site is for public discussions not personal agendas against our Government.

Since when is a debate on the current state and running of the island not classified as a public discussion?

Edited by Lxxx

Nice try, Alan Bell.

Tell your MHK/MLC buddies there's a storm a comin :P

For a first post that is a bit of a rousing one Honestly, certainly bound to extend the ongoing debate on this thread (and elsewhere)! Which I assume is what you really wanted to do.

I am trying to find the calumnies that Mulokin has written about our MHKs. Perhaps you could elaborate on what has upset you?

I am sure that both you and I would agree that that the IOMToday poll shows the public trust in politicians to be appallingly low - you cannot get much lower than 2% trust. No doubt other legislatures also have low trust levels but I don't think many would have dropped to 2%. And, despite the wordings in the IOMToday article, it can't be blamed on Westminster - but on the 'rabbit caught in headlights' functioning of the Bell administration. It has not taken long for a partially elected government to lose trust so massively.

I was told by an MHK before the last election that he would not vote for Allan Bell as Chief Minister because AB was not a team player and could not handle opinions other than his own. The fact that AB, as Treasurer, was promoting 10% cuts in PS numbers 6 years ago and has still failed to deliver is one indication that the MHK may have been right about AB's leadership potential.

Power is only useful if you use it effectively otherwise it is just confusion.

Oh yes the naysayers ! in other words anyone who wishes an alternative view to be considered, I suggest a good number of the current incumbents were only elected because there was no viable alternative something which is to be regretted, the post from honestly sums up politics in the island.

Tell your MHK/MLC buddies there's a storm a comin tongue.png

Errrrrrrr.......what Mulokin and a couple of his mates ?

You can moan all you like........you'll probably moan even if times were good. In fact you probably did. What you and every other moaning ninny on the forum needs to do is to declare a candidate under the Manx Forums banner at the next election and get voted in. The only problem that I see is that the Manx Forums Party is likely to attract the same level of public support as the Monster Raving Looney Party !!!!!!

• Like 1

Time will tell. But interestedman do you have any thoughts about the political system? Is it fit for purpose? Could it benefit from change? If it could, what sort of change.

I suspect that one of the big changes in the last 20+ years is the advent of the internet.

Yes, it does create moaning minnies. But it also makes the political system and the politicians more open to scrutiny and comment. Living in "the communication age" does mean that IOMToday can conduct an instant poll, that Mulokin can vent his frustrations in an immediate way, that we can see what the Mount Murray findings were, that the public can discuss whether they feel it a good idea to invest in Pinewood, that we know what politicians decided about their pensions etc...etc...

The thing that I have felt for a long time in relation to this is that we have a political system designed in the age of the horse that operates in the age of mass communication as if nothing has changed. I can't help feeling that in 50-100 years time the way politics works will have evolved a lot from this archaic system because the way society works has evolved a lot and politics are being left behind. But politics and politicians will probably be at the tail end of change.

When I was young the masses, along with children, were to be seen but not heard - this has changed.

P.S. If you compare the way private business has evolved over the last 25 years with the way politics has or has not evolved it indicates that change can occur, is needed, and makes big differences in the way we live.

Edited by manshimajin

Good ideas win votes.

Votes win power.

Power wins change.

Good ideas win votes.

Votes win representatives.

Representatives take the money and nothing changes.

Yup. Of course.

They miss the first two stages out where I live now.

That's why I strongly believe in the first stage.

In the end, accountabily lies with the voter.

No person in power will ever, voluntarily, hold themselves to Account; therefore temptation is ever present.

We have no:

- Ethics Committee

- Freedom of Information

- Opposition Party (sorry, PK doesn't count)

- Investigative Press

etc.

Our PAC is toothless and our MLCs are powerless. Our Ministers are bought and paid for by the Chief Minister.

IMO there is no Political System that anyone on here could propose that would result in anything other than our current shambles.

We are not capable of governing ourselves - the UK must do this.

[Edited for speeling]

Edited by Mr Shoe

No person in power will ever, voluntarily, hold themselves to Account; therefore temptation is ever present.

We have no:

- Ethics Committee

- Freedom of Information

- Opposition Party (sorry, PK doesn't count)

- Investigative Press

etc.

Our PAC is toothless and our MLCs are powerless. Our Ministers are bought and paid for by the Chief Minister.

IMO there is no Political System that anyone on here could propose that would result in anything other than our current shambles.

We are not capable of governing ourselves - the UK must do this.

[Edited for speeling]

Voting is a good start.

Hands up everyone who votes at every election.

I did up till the last one. I was away.

If you think I should leave this debate because of that, I will of course do so.

Hands up who voted.