Travelling To The Usa On Holiday

Hey guys, I'm travelling to the US for a conference in San Francisco in Oct. I'm just about to buy the flight tickets & I noticed a VISA section. Do I need a VISA for a weeks visit please?

I've looked online & I get conflicting answers-

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/visa/do-i-need-a-visa-when-i-go-on-holiday-to-usa.html

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/visa/uk-to-usa-visa.html

Has anyone been recently, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why would anyone want to go to the USA anyway?

You will need an ESTA (as long as you meet the qualification requirements - no criminal record - not a member of the Nazi party in 1935, not visiting for immoral purposes etc, otherwise you'll need a Visa).

Suggest booking your ticket from Dublin, you'll find the the tax on the ticket is far lower than flying from the UK and you clear US immigration before you leave Dublin so you land as a domestic pax. to get to SFO you'll probably change in Chicago.

Try to fly through Dublin, as you can go through US immigration there. It's not such a big flight back if you get refused entry.

I certainly think that you can clear customs this side via Dublin. I'm slightly worried though that your primary consideration in choosing an airport appears to be that you fear you might get kicked out of a country before you even arrive!

Not me, no criminal record and have been to the US a number of times. It's nicer clearing immigration in Dublin while you're hanging around the airport anyway and can then hit the ground running once you arrive in US, rather than spending ages in queues for immigration. Also it's on the way to the US rather than flying the "wrong direction" first to the UK.

When did the Dublin thing come in? I've been to the US many times,including one time in 2008, through Dublin, and it was no different from any other trip. i.e. when I landed there, massive queue up with the other scum..I mean non-US citizens, to clear customs.

Not sure when it came in but you can go straight through from the IoM with Aer Lingus to Dublin clear customs then Aer Lingus straight out to the States. I think you can also possibly do similar via London City to Shannon.

So how does this work then? The customs at Dublin thing I mean? Are they US border officials in Dublin, or is it out sourced to someone? It's weird coz the Americans are so psycho serious about these things, do they give you the same third degree and all?

So how does this work then? The customs at Dublin thing I mean? Are they US border officials in Dublin, or is it out sourced to someone? It's weird coz the Americans are so psycho serious about these things, do they give you the same third degree and all?

I think the Irish authorities have a deal with the US where US Border control sub contract to the Irish officials. You do the ESTA online as usual but then you do all the customs clearance on Irish soil before you take off. I'm surprised that more people don't use it as it beats dealing with US customs when you're there. I think with so many Irish flying to Boston, Chicago, New York and visa versa etc its something the Irish government have negotiated with the US. From the Isle of Man if you pick the right day you can get Aer Lingus IoM - Dublin, then Aer Lingus Dublin - New York, Boston or Orlando as one deal.

http://www.aerlingus.../usimmigration/