Exposure:the Other Side Of Jimmy Savile

Lisenchuk

Iomtoday like many local newspaper sites in their group, have a UK News option that wraps the iomtoday branding around centrally sourced news.

Personally, I'd prefer to get UK & International news from other sources, but it's harmless.

The time to have made any allegations was when he was alive. Whether it was true or not, this approach seems kind of cowardly to me.

Not a good moment for journalism - again.

Where do we draw the line making allegations against dead people, regardless of who they are/were?

• Like 1

Well it's pity that he's not here to see his reputation torn apart, but you seem to suggest that the victims of this vile man should keep quiet to protect his posthumous reputation. That can't be right can it?

Imagine if we took the same approach to a dead priest or teacher? The system that allowed them impunity would get away with it.

In fact, isn't a lot of history dead men behaving badly. Better stop teaching in case we malign their reputations.

• Like 1

Well it's pity that he's not here to see his reputation torn apart, but you seem to suggest that the victims of this vile man should keep quiet to protect his posthumous reputation. That can't be right can it?

Imagine if we took the same approach to a dead priest or teacher? The system that allowed them impunity would get away with it.

In fact, isn't a lot of history dead men behaving badly. Better stop teaching in case we malign their reputations.

My point was quite simple, it is easy for anyone to say anything about someone if they are now dead and have no chance to refute the allegation amongst their peers. He is now an allegedly vile man, who literally cannot stand up to defend himself. The time to ascertain guilt and innocence was when he was alive.

You seem, by the tone of your response, to suggest he was guilty. Which sort of actually underlines my point, you probably have never met the man, yet when someone pops out of the woodwork years later (whether with true or false allegations about anyone) the lynch mob approach too often wins over and opinions are won over, but of course justice loses out, as it possibly missed catching and punishing him if these allegations had been found to be true.

Of course if he was guilty, Jebus will by now have sent him somewhere where things are hot - and I don't mean Stringfellows.

I am sure these rumours came out when he was alive?

And what happened when those rumours came out?

I don't remember because I was a kid but I have quite strong memories of having illusions shattered and not wanting to watch him any more because I felt uncomfortable. I guess nothing happened? It was reported and brushed under the carpet?

I am sure these rumours came out when he was alive?

And what happened when those rumours came out?

I don't remember because I was a kid but I have quite strong memories of having illusions shattered and not wanting to watch him any more because I felt uncomfortable. I guess nothing happened? It was reported and brushed under the carpet?

Or found to be utter baseless allergations. I take it there was no official accusations made against JS?