Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Pierrot Lunaire

April Jones

a superfluity of Barries (at least one too many), an unecessary prolixity of Barries (look it up), a verbosity of Barries, all could apply

Barrie never cost me a penny, that I can recall. I think its something else he is making up or has misinterpreted.

Lights blue touch paper, stands back and awaits for verbose explanation of how Barrie appeared as next friend fopr some poor unfortunate and trounced me in court.... welll he may have done, but I don't reacll him ever costing me, anything.

Is it just me has the whole incident dropped off the media radar?

Looking on the BBC News website, it has dropped to a low key story, with no new information on it.

Sky is saying he is being remanded in custody until Januray the 11th? Why so long? The arrested him the day after AJ went missing and was charged with multiple offences by the Saturday (including murder) even though no body or murder scene has been found.

A bit fishy to me. My opinion is that the Police are trying to wrap the case up as quick as possible, so as to not appear like incompetant bunglers like the Portugese force involved in the McCann case. But then why the long remand after such a quick investigation?

Once a charge is brought, there are rules on what can be reported, and how, which means less juicy stories. Also, the public appetite for the story has diminished, we have such a short attention span these days. More people are concerned about the X-Factor 'fix' scandal than a still missing child.

From the outside it seems the police have an impossible task. It appears the man they have was positively identified as the man who picked the girl up on the day she went missing, but that ID appears to have come from small children, which won't stand up in court. Any forensic evidence of the girl in his vehicle can be dimissed as it is known she was in the vehicle a few days before her abduction.

They appear to have reason to strongly suspect this man, but without a murder scene, body or admission of guilt it is hard to see how they will successfully conclude a prosecution.

They had to charge him, even with flimsy evidence, to ensure he was held on remand so they can continue trying to find the elusive 'smoking gun'. If a suspect is freed, and is guilty, they may run away or destroy evidence.

It's going to be a tough case to prove, unless there is something which has been kept out of the public domain.

I hope April is found so, at the very least, the family have some form of closure and knnow where she is.

I would love to continue the debate about parental responsibility with you MDO, but the more I think about the case the sadder and sadder it makes me.

I would love to continue the debate about parental responsibility with you MDO, but the more I think about the case the sadder and sadder it makes me.

As you wish.

As you wish.

I know what you meant, and sort of agree, but think we disagree on the level of culpability the parents should bear - everything is clearer with hindsight. While I enjoy a good row as much as the next person, I think we should cross swords again on another subject.

As you wish.

I know what you meant, and sort of agree, but think we disagree on the level of culpability the parents should bear - everything is clearer with hindsight. While I enjoy a good row as much as the next person, I think we should cross swords again on another subject.

I have no problem with that.

Is it just me has the whole incident dropped off the media radar?

Looking on the BBC News website, it has dropped to a low key story, with no new information on it.

Sky is saying he is being remanded in custody until January the 11th? Why so long? The arrested him the day after AJ went missing and was charged with multiple offenses by the Saturday (including murder) even though no body or murder scene has been found.

A bit fishy to me. My opinion is that the Police are trying to wrap the case up as quick as possible, so as to not appear like incompetent bunglers like the Portuguese force involved in the McCann case. But then why the long remand after such a quick investigation?

Some say it was only so heavily reported in the first place, so as to divert attention away from the Pleb-Gate-Gate scandal, that was the main story for what seemed like weeks.

That it is not being reported now, may just be because they have got the likely culprit or the Jimmy Saville thing is just so much bigger?

a superfluity of Barries (at least one too many), an unecessary prolixity of Barries (look it up), a verbosity of Barries, all could apply

Barrie never cost me a penny, that I can recall. I think its something else he is making up or has misinterpreted.

Lights blue touch paper, stands back and awaits for verbose explanation of how Barrie appeared as next friend fopr some poor unfortunate and trounced me in court.... welll he may have done, but I don't reacll him ever costing me, anything.

Methinks you do! The sum of £3,750 I have written and evidence of ..!!! ...Unless you and M Kelly had a quid pro quo??? (and you have given the clue "next friend"...and I tried to explain Haigh's misunderstanding of "Corpus & etc"!!!...He thought "No body. No Murder"..

Haigh essentually boasted about his murderous activities under that body of evidence delusion to almost every investigative person, did he not? I vaguely recall seeing something about this on the discovery channel - and back then it WAS the discovery channel, no other spin offs (not even +1).

I've no idea what the average criminal's most common delusion is but I know in America there is a crazy idea that if you ask an undercover police officer if they were a police man then they have to tell you. Equally I would have been around 11 years old the first time I disovered warez sites (things that no longer exist I should think although there is no reason for me to have checked; this is all before file sharing) and I'm sure that they all asked you to confirm you were not the copyright police before you entered and downloaded your copy of Photoshop 4.0.

From my own experience, even if a duty advocate tells you to speak to the police, wait until you have one you paid for. This is most known in the US - see this vid. I have a cool book I recommend to anyone called Criminal Interrogation and Confessions which demonstrates the Reid technique. They cannot use it over here for various legal reasons but it tells you a lot. And while I'm going around recommending books about "sutff" willy nilly, have a look at the Full facts book of cold reading by Ian Rowland. I did a two day course with him when I lived in London beacuse of reading that book (and you should have seen some of the people on that course - it was the first one and about half of them I'd heard of!)

I was aware of all that when I spoke to law officials on the advice of a duty solicitor; unfortunately I also knew that there were reasons you might want to talk to people asap and so I did... and it ended up very badly.

So never ever do that.

Edited by sirstabby

Yeah, I posted this in another thread. One about drugs I think?

Talking to the police without a legal advisor by your side is really a terrible awful idea. They cannot make deals with you. They cannot lower your sentence. The only thing that talking to them can possibly do is incriminate you. There's even plenty of cases where people who get nervous just blab and blab and end up saying something innocuous but untrue ("Yes, I was at blah during blah") which later comes back to incriminate them.

The only thing you should say to the police if you're arrested is to confirm your name and address. Everything else is "no comment".

• Like 1

So just under a month since she went missing, and judging by the BBC news website (if you could call it news) not a single fuck was given.

Even the Wales section of the site is bereft of even a minor mention.

Good job we have the Jimmy Saville situation to keep everyone occupied until matey boy gets before a jugde in January.

So just under a month since she went missing, and judging by the BBC news website (if you could call it news) not a single fuck was given.

Good job we have the Jimmy Saville situation to keep everyone occupied until matey boy gets before a jugde in January.

Unfortunatly there is little to report on a day by day basis. There are 150 police or so searching each day but unless or until they find something there is not a lot to say which has not already been said. I wish there was

Mans been charged, nobody else is being looked for in connection with her dissapearance, what do you want the media to report? Day 30 still missing, man still in custody?