Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx1Bloke

Gatwick Route By Easyjet

You're joking aren't you, what if EasyJet decide the take their ball home. How is the government, with their track record, supposed to deal with a situation like that which involves taking responsibility and making decisions. Unfortunately we need to see some leadership in our air policy and we haven't had any for a very long time.

I agree. My level of confidence in IOMG/DoI having the policies, strategies, and ability to get the Island out of the mess she, and others, have got us into, with our air travel, is not high. But first, she and those others, have to recognise that there is a problem. You have a much better chance of fixing a problem, if you recognise that it exists.

The IOM-Gatwick route carries around 170,000 passengers a year, so it is a substantial piece of business, for the right airline, with the right aircraft and the right fares/frequency/reliability model. I don't know who that airline might be, but it is the 'big girl's' job to have her finger on the industry pulse, and to have a viable plan for the day when easyJet to do go, (as they surely will), and to make sure that day falls at a time of the Island's choosing, and not easyJet's!

Edited by Nellie

This problem has arisen because of the situation Flybe was in. Regional airlines are struggling badly. It must be so hard to make money.

When Flybe flew Gatwick we had dedicated planes and regular flights. Several daily. Then you get Easyjet putting on one flight a day taking the money of Flybe that is worth making

The problem was that the Gatwick "slots" were a very sellable asset so then Easyjet swoop in and taken them. And what we are left with is the shit end of the stick.

You can see this type of thing happening with the Liverpool slot.

Open skies doesn't and never has worked.

• Like 1

What makes you think Liverpool slots have a market resale value? Is Speke John Lennon at full capacity, even at peak times?

There is money in regional connector flights. Plenty of them around.

It was flybe rapid expansion and business model that made their previous operations not economically viable.

You are right however that no one is going to acquire 4 daily Gatwick slots to fly in 60 - 100 seater Turbo props and there isn't demand for 4 daily 150 seater jets.

So any airline is going to be utilising it's aircraft on other routes and slotting IoM in. If we get slotted in at end of day then the creep of delays over several prior sectors can have an adverse effect..

It is however galling to be given the excuse of "no crew". EasyJet will have had plenty of time to find relief crew - and the cost of getting a crew in for lgw - IoM - lgw only ( even paying them for a full shift ) has got to be less than eu261 for 150 passengers.

We seem to be back to 2 rotations a day to Gatwick most days after end September, but no flights past March. There are some real bargains. I've got 2 long weekends in Barcelona booked in October and November for less than £100 return from IoM. I've got to go to Venice in May next year. I can book Gatwick to Venice on easyJet but not IoM to Gatwick.

As it happens I've booked with BA via City, timings are good and prices weren't bad.

I know, OCD to be planning so far ahead.

• Like 1

JW,

It's fine to "plan ahead" and maybe cheaper, as indicated on another thread my son, his wife and 2 young kids were booked on the flight from Gatwick last night . The flight was delayed then passengers were sent to the boarding gate and then told they would be there for some time before being advised that the plane was there but there were no crew.

As there was no other alternative they booked on flight from the City airport for the very thick end of £!,200 ! to arrive this evening .

Easy jet seemed to abdicate all responsibility and they went home rather than spend additional money on a hotel stay.

Frankly their "customer care" stinks and if all this post does is to deter folk from flying with sleazy jet then it's all been worthwhilelaugh.pngflowers.gif

What makes you think Liverpool slots have a market resale value? Is Speke John Lennon at full capacity, even at peak times?

There is money in regional connector flights. Plenty of them around.

It was flybe rapid expansion and business model that made their previous operations not economically viable.

You are right however that no one is going to acquire 4 daily Gatwick slots to fly in 60 - 100 seater Turbo props and there isn't demand for 4 daily 150 seater jets.

So any airline is going to be utilising it's aircraft on other routes and slotting IoM in. If we get slotted in at end of day then the creep of delays over several prior sectors can have an adverse effect..

It is however galling to be given the excuse of "no crew". EasyJet will have had plenty of time to find relief crew - and the cost of getting a crew in for lgw - IoM - lgw only ( even paying them for a full shift ) has got to be less than eu261 for 150 passengers.

We seem to be back to 2 rotations a day to Gatwick most days after end September, but no flights past March. There are some real bargains. I've got 2 long weekends in Barcelona booked in October and November for less than £100 return from IoM. I've got to go to Venice in May next year. I can book Gatwick to Venice on easyJet but not IoM to Gatwick.

As it happens I've booked with BA via City, timings are good and prices weren't bad.

I know, OCD to be planning so far ahead.

Sorry, to be clear what I meant by Liverpool was the profitability element whereby two airlines are flying one route. Neither really making a decent profit but with Easyjet having deeper pockets. It was more a comment in relation to open skies.

JW,

It's fine to "plan ahead" and maybe cheaper, as indicated on another thread my son, his wife and 2 young kids were booked on the flight from Gatwick last night . The flight was delayed then passengers were sent to the boarding gate and then told they would be there for some time before being advised that the plane was there but there were no crew.

As there was no other alternative they booked on flight from the City airport for the very thick end of £!,200 ! to arrive this evening .

Easy jet seemed to abdicate all responsibility and they went home rather than spend additional money on a hotel stay.

Frankly their "customer care" stinks and if all this post does is to deter folk from flying with sleazy jet then it's all been worthwhilelaugh.pngflowers.gif

I think the concerning thing is the regularity with which it happens.

I'll be off to Vegas next March. We went last time via Gatwick and go over the night before for the 11 a.m flight out. It is getting to the point where you can't even rely on getting on holiday by going the night before. You really need to find an earlier flight somewhere else or have an alternative because if that late Easyjet doesn't go you are fucked.

• Like 2

JW,

I think the concerning thing is the regularity with which it happens.

I'll be off to Vegas next March. We went last time via Gatwick and go over the night before for the 11 a.m flight out. It is getting to the point where you can't even rely on getting on holiday by going the night before. You really need to find an earlier flight somewhere else or have an alternative because if that late Easyjet doesn't go you are fucked.

True. I always make sure I have at least one flight between when I book and when I need to get on my connecting flight, just in case my flight is cancelled. This is factoring in an overnight stay too. Extends any trip by at least one full day on the way out which is ridiculous.

• Like 3

I would never, under any circumstances, rely on EasyJet for getting me to London (and back) for onward connections beyond UK. BA to City every time for me, and often on the day before I fly abroad.

Today's easyjet to liverpool EZY636 which was due to depart at 1650 has a new estimated time of 2100!!!.

So, I think we are all agreed that the easyJet Gatwick service is crap.

Many of us know, and understand, how we got to this situation; wildly over-optimistic passenger growth predictions + open skies policy + runway extension + the 'big girl' encourging bigger planes (apparently without understanding the impact on frequency) + flyBe almost going bust and selling up at Gatwick = easyJet monopoly.

The big question is, do Reynolds/Gawne/Black even recognise that there is a problem, and when are they going to give the travelling public some reassurance that they have a robust plan to re-establish reliable and dedendable services, either with easyJet, or with another carrier?

• Like 1

I feel sorry for them but how many onward flights are there to Belarus? It's not EasyJets fault specifically. I was in Spain the other week and the number of flights that were delayed was huge. It's just holiday season and there's log jams with flight rosters all over the place.

Nellie I don't agree that the IoM situation is down to open skies at all.

It's down to airlines and airports wanting to maximise load factors and income.

They don't want small regional planes flying into Gatwick or Heathrow. The bigger boys want to gain access, so they buy up the likes of Manx airlines to get their slots, or like Flybe they pursue an unsustainable business plan and sell their slots to the highest bidder.

It's all well and good saying that we have to have a robust plan but none of Gawne, Black, Reynolds & Co have any control over what happens at Gatwick or Heathrow.

• Like 2