Gatwick Route By Easyjet

Manx1Bloke

Interesting comment put out by Easyjet operations control yesterday on their flight tracker for the LGW rotation

." Please be aware that we are seeing poor weather conditions on the Isle of Man. Operating flights to and from the Isle of Man can be challenging when certain weather conditions exist. The relatively short runway and fog conditions can lead to aircraft not being unable to make a safe approach to land"

First time I have seen the runway length being mentioned as a problem for the flight, perhaps we are going to have to extend it further although I am not sure how runway length helps in the case of fog.

This was also issued by Flybe in its trading statement of 27th July

Recognition for strong and improved punctuality

· Flybe was ranked by the CAA as the UK's most punctual airline last year for the second consecutive year. The CAA's punctuality statistics for airlines operating more than 30k flights a year showed that 84% of Flybe's flights were on time, ahead of Ryanair (82.1%), British Airways (72.7%) and easyJet (71.7%).

· Flybe's performance also improved year-on-year from 82% to 84%, while overall industry performance was reported to have dropped from 79% to 76.6% over 2014.

· In Q1 2016/17 Flybe's On Time Performance (OTP) has been impacted by ATC strikes and poor weather in line with other UK airlines and declined 5 ppts to 82.4% (arrivals within 15 minutes).

Odd thing to say, "not being unable" ! If they are not unable to land, what is the problem? thumbsup.gif

Interesting comment put out by Easyjet operations control yesterday on their flight tracker for the LGW rotation

." Please be aware that we are seeing poor weather conditions on the Isle of Man. Operating flights to and from the Isle of Man can be challenging when certain weather conditions exist. The relatively short runway and fog conditions can lead to aircraft not being unable to make a safe approach to land"

First time I have seen the runway length being mentioned as a problem for the flight, perhaps we are going to have to extend it further although I am not sure how runway length helps in the case of fog.

The second runway is a lot shorter than the primary:

03-21 3,934 x 151 ft (1,199 x 46 m)

08-26 5,751 x 151 ft (1,753 x 46 m)

If I understand a half-heard conversation correctly, some of the approaches are a bit "turny" and that could have a knock-on effect on the CAT I minumums (200 feet Decision Height - 2,400 feet (or 1,800 feet) Runway Visual Range), especially the RVR.

I await education from one of the MF professional pilots.

Pongo, you seem to be criticising airports, your description fits most large airport I've ever been to. If you would like to pay a bit more to to escape the fake pub/shopping mall experience, then buy a lounge pass. Many have showers, as well as a quiet ambience, comfortable seating and free drinks.

But I am specifically addressing the specific issues with Gatwick South - where there are no shower facilities in the private lounges. IIRC the North terminal lounges do have shower facilities. As do most normal airports.

And you cannot reach the private lounges without first passing through the crappy shop.

(NB - if you look back up the thread you will see that I am generally pro Gatwick - within the context of UK airports in general).

I think you're right Cheesypeas. Checking on Priority Pass, none of the lounges at Gatwick that accept Priority Pass have showers now. The Regus Business Lounge, S Terminal, land side does provide that facility however, and it always seems more useful in arrivals to me, for instance when you are off an overnight long haul,

I think you're right Cheesypeas. Checking on Priority Pass, none of the lounges at Gatwick that accept Priority Pass have showers now. The Regus Business Lounge, S Terminal, land side does provide that facility however, and it always seems more useful in arrivals to me, for instance when you are off an overnight long haul,

Cannot be used with a priority pass AFAIK.:-(.

There used to be an arrivals lounge at the sofitel at the north terminal. I used to arrive on Emirates . Have a quick shower at this lounge and then move to the south terminal for the flight back to IOM on flybe.

The other option is now is to book a day use room at one of the airport hotels if there is a long connection (during the day)

This works out cheaper if a family is travelling and you can even sleep in a proper bed for a few hours .

I usually book at the Hilton at the south terminal ( On the Hilton website put the arrival and departure dates as the same to force the system to give you a day use room). I have not tried it with the other hotels though I suspect that most will offer it if you contact directly.

Right now if I am planning to fly on Emirates , I usually book my tickets on the emirates website from IOM to XXX

I can check im my bags in the IOM and pick them up in my destination.The connection to EK is via MAN or BHX and its flybe/EK's problem of any of the connections are missed.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

Where are the showers in North terminal ? when we came through last, the facilities in the escape lounge had been closed.

May have changed in the past 18 months then. How disappointing.

I think providing these sorts of facilities can make travel a much less uncomfortable process.

it always seems more useful in arrivals to me, for instance when you are off an overnight long haul,

I would say that it makes sense to have the facilities on both sides. People are often transferring between airports - so they perhaps arrive early morning at one and then have to get over to the other for the onward flight. I think it would be quite typical to want to relax and get clean after making the transfer, getting through the traffic, security etc.

There used to be an arrivals lounge at the sofitel at the north terminal. I used to arrive on Emirates . Have a quick shower at this lounge and then move to the south terminal for the flight back to IOM on flybe.

The other option is now is to book a day use room at one of the airport hotels if there is a long connection (during the day)

This works out cheaper if a family is travelling and you can even sleep in a proper bed for a few hours .

I usually book at the Hilton at the south terminal ( On the Hilton website put the arrival and departure dates as the same to force the system to give you a day use room). I have not tried it with the other hotels though I suspect that most will offer it if you contact directly.

Right now if I am planning to fly on Emirates , I usually book my tickets on the emirates website from IOM to XXX

I can check im my bags in the IOM and pick them up in my destination.The connection to EK is via MAN or BHX and its flybe/EK's problem of any of the connections are missed.

Never sat comfortably with me that. The reliability of Flybe/Stobart has dropped off a cliff meaning it's now best to fly the day before and book an overnight stay now so as not to risk it. I suppose you can always send your luggage on and have an overnight travel bag but if I'm travelling I like to know my luggage is travelling with me and I've personally checked it in myself.

• Like 2

No, the Regus Business Lounge is pay up front, per use.

I had a few hours to pass at Gatwick recently and the Yotel cabins provided a dead cheap way of getting a bit of sleep and taking a refreshing shower.

Never sat comfortably with me that. The reliability of Flybe/Stobart has dropped off a cliff meaning it's now best to fly the day before and book an overnight stay now so as not to risk it. I suppose you can always send your luggage on and have an overnight travel bag but if I'm travelling I like to know my luggage is travelling with me and I've personally checked it in myself.

Don't think they will let your luggage fly without you. Moreover if there are any cancellations or delays on any sector it is flybe/Emirates problem and not mine provided you book all flights on the emirates website as IOM--XXX--IOM ( the flybe flight even has an emirates number)

They got me a hotel room at Manchester when my emirates flight arrived late and missed my flybe to IOM. The next flybe to IOM was nearly 13 hrs later.

I reckon that if my tickets were separate I would have lost my money on my flybe MAN-IOM sector plus I would have to pay for a hotel room myself.

EU261 would not have applied as it was a flight arriving to the UK (only applies to flights leaving UK) and EK is not a EU carrier. It would not have been flybe's problem either.

Edited by mad_manx

Don't think they will let your luggage fly without you. Moreover if there are any cancellations or delays on any sector it is flybe/Emirates problem and not mine provided you book all flights on the emirates website as IOM--XXX--IOM ( the flybe flight even has an emirates number)

They got me a hotel room at Manchester when my emirates flight arrived late and missed my flybe to IOM. The next flybe to IOM was nearly 13 hrs later.

I reckon that if my tickets were separate I would have lost my money on my flybe MAN-IOM sector plus I would have to pay for a hotel room myself.

EU261 would not have applied as it was a flight arriving to the UK (only applies to flights leaving UK) and EK is not a EU carrier. It would not have been flybe's problem either.

We flew from IOM-MAN-HRW with Flybe/BA before flying to New York. We arrived but the baggage got lost along the way so we had a day in New York in the clothes we wore to travel from the Isle of Man in. I get the supposed convenience of checked luggage and codeshare tickets but maybe I'm old fashioned as I like to have it with me as much of the way as I can.

Oh dear, I see that easyJet are at it again. Last night's Gatwick flight cancelled at the last moment and no alternatives available for several days, due to the already poor frequency being sold out. Three hundred or so people, all stranded in the wrong place, and another EU261 compensation bill for cEUR75,000 looming.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-should-apologise-over-disruption-says-watchdog-1-8052812

Planes breakdown and things go wrong, but their inability to recover such situations, with rescheduled or extra flights, or a larger plane, (which they do have) is lamentable.

Travelwatch note that the evening flight has been “excessively late” on 40% of flights, and from the same flight tracking source, it is only 'on time' 25% of the time.

It really is time that Director of Ports and/or her Minister gave some sort of public indication that they are actually having meaningful dialogue with this bunch of shysters, to either deliver a proper, reliable service, or to withdraw, and allow an airline with some sort of operational resilience and customer service conscience to take their place.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

Oh dear, I see that easyJet are at it again. Last night's Gatwick flight cancelled at the last moment and no alternatives available for several days, due to the already poor frequency being sold out. Three hundred or so people, all stranded in the wrong place, and another EU261 compensation bill for cEUR75,000 looming.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-should-apologise-over-disruption-says-watchdog-1-8052812

Planes breakdown and things go wrong, but their inability to recover such situations, with rescheduled or extra flights, or a larger plane, (which they do have) is lamentable.

Travelwatch note that the evening flight has been “excessively late” on 40% of flights, and from the same flight tracking source, it is only 'on time' 25% of the time.

It really is time that Director of Ports and/or her Minister gave some sort of public indication that they are actually having meaningful dialogue with this bunch of shysters, to either deliver a proper, reliable service, or to withdraw, and allow an airline with some sort of operational resilience and customer service conscience to take their place.

You're joking aren't you, what if EasyJet decide the take their ball home. How is the government, with their track record, supposed to deal with a situation like that which involves taking responsibility and making decisions. Unfortunately we need to see some leadership in our air policy and we haven't had any for a very long time.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1