Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
sirstabby

Creationist Visiting Later This Month

INTERNATIONAL director of Creation Research John Mackay will be visiting the island this month to present a series of public lectures and seminars on the subject of Origins' date=' Creation and Evolution.

Mr Mackay is renowned for debating some of the world’s leading evolutionists, including Richard Dawkins.

He accepted the invitation from a local interdenominational group of Christians to return to the Isle of Man after challenging seminars in 2003.

Mr Mackay has been lecturing on the subject of origins and doing field research worldwide for the last 30 years.

Arriving on Thursday, October 25, he begins his speaking tour that evening on his role of director of Creation Research.

On Friday, October 26, he will present a public lecture at The Studio in Douglas, in the upper car park opposite the Palace Cinema, at 7pm on the subject of climate change. Mr Mackay will explore questions many ask, such as whether man is causing global warming or is the climate change debate simply a source of tax revenue?

This will be followed by a series of seminars on Christian apologetics on Saturday, October 27, and speaking engagements in the morning and evening services on the Sunday, October 28, at Broadway Baptist Church in Douglas.

Anyone interested in hearing Mr Mackay at any of these speaking engagements can get more information by calling his local contact, John Harris, on 462003.[/quote']

http://www.iomtoday....talks-1-4999188

I know a news story isn't really appropriate to stick a bit of opinion in but they could at least have possibly mentioned he's a discredited lunatic, for the slow of thinking. At the moment if you weren't careful you would read it and possibly think he was representing something vaguely normal.

Might be fun to go to one of the talks anyway and heckle. Creationism ffs, are there actually enough people to fit in a room that believe the earth was created in 4004 bc?

Edited by sirstabby

I'm afraid that there are many more than a room full of creationists. Former Presidents of the USA too apparently!!

Quite worrying.

You can't fault his logic, look at this bit of brilliant deduction dating a thorn fossil:

"The majority of the worlds earth history buffs – geologists/palaeontologists etc hate to be reminded that since the Creator was there in the beginning, and He made a world without thorns, therefore any rocks containing fossil thorny structures must post date the first created man. Remember that God told Adam as judgement for Adam and Eves sin, the ground would henceforth produce thorns, thistles and weeds. This would also mean that any rocks with fossil thorns must be less than 6 or so thousand yrs old"

Far simpler than all this carbon dating nonsense!

• Like 1

Its rather worrying that these creationist bozzo's are being 'invited' into our primary schools. If I wanted my kid to learn a load of outdated horse shit... I'd send him to Sunday School.

Keep it out of the classroom

Edited by Erco
  • Like 1

one of the US congress Republican members Georgia Rep. Paul Broun who sits on House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. ' said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.' and for good measure 'Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days.' http://bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20121006congressman_calls_evolution_lie_from__pit_of_hell

who thought religious nut cases were only in the middle east - the Americans can outdo any in the Islamic world

It's a pitty the US and Iran don't get along... They have so much in common

• Like 2

It's a pitty the US and Iran don't get along... They have so much in common

Thank goodness we have the right of free speech to allow people to come here and say what they want and for the rest of us to ignore them, listen to them, laugh at them, agree with them etc...etc...that's one major thing that differentiates us from Iran.

Its rather worrying that these creationist bozzo's are being 'invited' into our primary schools. If I wanted my kid to learn a load of outdated horse shit... I'd send him to Sunday School.

Keep it out of the classroom

Is that true - surely not?! If so I can feel a rant to the Director of Education coming on.

If all things have a creator, who created the creator?

Seriously, I can't believe we are allowing this bollocks to carry on in this day and age.

• Like 1

one of the US congress Republican members Georgia Rep. Paul Broun who sits on House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. ' said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.' and for good measure 'Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days.' http://bostonherald....om__pit_of_hell

who thought religious nut cases were only in the middle east - the Americans can outdo any in the Islamic world

Hhhmmmm I think he has the wrong job to be holding those beliefs...

But then who better to ensure that science is held back to stop it furthering the pursuit of knowledge and truth.

MDO - is it any more ridiculous to believe in a Creator than that everything in the Universe originated in literally nothing?

So how would you refute this man?

What arguments would you make against him?

What evidence would you use to show he was wrong?

I'm busy this morning but do think it might be worth trying to show how wrong this man is.