Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
sirstabby

Creationist Visiting Later This Month

Time spent praying, is wasted time. Get off your knees and do something prodcutive.

But, MDO, if you understood prayer properly you would know that it can be extremely productive.

in what way that, say, meditation cannot be?

On the other hand, it does stop them wasting their time on something they have no hope of solving. Bit like Buddhism, where the origins of everything are something not to be concerned about.

But they should stop wasting their with the idea of A god, supernatural entities and baseless explanations unless they can support them.

If it gives people comfort and hope I can see no harm in religion. The worst aspects come when those people want to use their religion to stifle other peoples thoughts and actions.

You are assuming that all societies are (or should be) the same as ours in the West. This is not the case (and it is debatable whether it would necessarily be a good thing if they were). Religion (including Science) is to serve the needs of people - so, if their beliefs at present suit them that's fine. Why should they have to be the same as us?

Never implied they should be like us. Irrational religious beliefs are universal, as is rational belief.

If it gives people comfort and hope I can see no harm in religion. The worst aspects come when those people want to use their religion to stifle other peoples thoughts and actions.

I disagree. The harm is more broader in scope. I can explain later.

Time spent praying, is wasted time. Get off your knees and do something prodcutive.

But, MDO, if you understood prayer properly you would know that it can be extremely productive.

Prayer is psycho-somantic. It's talking to yourself in other words. There are no tangible benefits to prayer.

Name one verifiable situation where someone was healed by the power of prayer. (i'll give you clue....never)

Mr Poppins and I have been doing a little research into this man, John Mackay. It's all very well for him to be spouting creationist nonsense (freedom of speech and all that), but what about this?

http://www.askjohnmackay.com/questions/answer/homophobia-why-hate-homosexuals-if-god-of-love/

Should this man be encouraged to spread his venomous ideas? John Wright, does the Island have any "incitement to hatred" type legislation?

Mary P

I challenge Mr Mackay or any god bothering type to prove the exsistence of God using recognised scientific criteria.

Awaits with baited breath.

I can prove it using logic, which given that mathematics is a recognised branch of some science deparmtments must totally mean this thing is true.

viz.:

1. One, and only one, of the following statements is false:

2. God totally exists

3. Statements 1 and 2 are false.

p.s. I have heard that atheists could corrupt this fantastic proof in some way by altering point 2, but if they do so you should ignore them as speaking the words the devil puts into their minds

p.p.s. anyone who analyses said proof and makes any reference whatsoever to Bertrand Russell or if feeling retro the behaviour of certain untrustowrthy cretans should especially be disregarded

Edited by sirstabby

p.s. I have heard that atheists could corrupt this fantastic proof in some way by altering point 2, but if they do so you should ignore them as speaking the words the devil puts into their minds

p.p.s. anyone who analyses said proof and makes any reference whatsoever to Bertrand Russell or if feeling retro the behaviour of certain untrustowrthy cretans should especially be disregarded

Surely Godel would be more appropriate ;) Russell was just an old duffer with an interesting paradox.

At one point, it was believed that man would never fly.

He still can't. Try walking out the door at 36000 ft after you've eaten your Easyjet 'toastie'.
  • Like 1

I think there are similarities between prayer and meditation. Prayer is effectively a process of bringing about the mobilisation of all one's inner resources to help solve a difficulty. Meditation can bring about a complete state of calm awareness where something or other can receive total concentration.

I think there are similarities between prayer and meditation. Prayer is effectively a process of bringing about the mobilisation of all one's inner resources to help solve a difficulty. Meditation can bring about a complete state of calm awareness where something or other can receive total concentration.

Prayer has never saved anyone. Doctors on the other hand......Like I said two hands doing something is infinitely more productive than a million pairs of hands clasped in prayer.

• Like 1