Over 100 Council Houses Could Be Demolished

On MR this morning Mrs Malarkey saying the houses in Willaston are damp,and with the wall cavities being filled has not helped.

There are loads more like this around the estates,in Pulrose in 1988 they filled in the airbricks which started off the process,the houses are a lot older than Willaston,77 years at least,and within the last 12 months the cavities also have been filled,surely someone must have warned the Council that is not the way to maintain houses.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The real solution is to sell the houses to the tenants. When people actually own them, "somehow or other", things get sorted out. Capitalism can be a cruel system but it works.

"Let them have an upstairs loo." Said Missus Uppity, while quaffing cheap wine in the hot tub......lol. (Not safe for work)

Its funny a few months back an Auldyn spokes person was on the radio complaining that a lot of the govt schemes were coming to an end and men will be out of work.   £76k to render a semi and fit ven

Posted Images

I thought they were going to re-render them. Have a look at the recent council meeting minutes, they're applying for a loan for that, or something like that. Thats hugely wasteful isn't it? Imagine if they knocked down all the damp houses in Douglas, there would be no Douglas.

Excuse my pomposity but the cavity in a building is there for a very obvious and clear reason. It is intentional and the clue is in the name. Although filling and stuffing the cavity years later has worked on occasion for some house types, usually fortuitously in sheltered locations, it usually leads to problems with damp.

It would be interesting to know when the cavities in these houses were filled because problems with bridging the air gap were shouted about 40 years ago.

Maybe the cavity wall insulation salesman could shout louder.

It sounds like a softening up for the taxpayer to fund large works. Anyone been up Ballachrink in Onchan lately? They've been completely refurbing all the properties up there. New roofs, rooflines, walls rerendered, new windows, new fences etc, etc... It's taking years. I must say, they're doing a cracking job of it and it's looking really smart but I dread to think how much it's costing. I bet the tenants aren't footing the bill. The houses in Willaston may be damp, but at least they're fucking dirt cheap.

• Like 2

The cavity walls are only part of the problem. The fact that they all are virtually sealed tight with double glazed windows and doors means that there is a serious lack of ventilation. These houses were never designed for that.

I find this very frustrating as all the houses need is a £100 dehumidifier and a damn good clean!

• Like 1

The cavity walls are only part of the problem. The fact that they all are virtually sealed tight with double glazed windows and doors means that there is a serious lack of ventilation. These houses were never designed for that.

Indeed. Coupled with drying clothes on internal radiators - the water's got to go somewhere.

• Like 2

I find this very frustrating as all the houses need is a £100 dehumidifier and a damn good clean!

Some of the tenants are very good and take pride in their houses. They should be applauded.

Other tenants need educating. They seem to think it is healthy to keep the windows shut and dry the clothes on radiators. During the day when when it is dry outside you should open your windows slightly to let a bit of air throughout your house to remove any residual damp from people, clothes, cooking etc etc. It is so simple... a ventilated house is a healthy house.

A bit of education that all! The council should hand out leaflets explaining the health benifits of opening your windows for just 1 hour per day...

Doctors must get so frustrated with the shear amount of complaints regarding kids growing up in damp conditions resulting in breathing and skin complaints. Its all wrong.

• Like 1

Opening a window is even cheaper.

Although I totally agree with you, the Manx weather is such that often the humidity level is so high opening a window simply will not work. A dehumidifier on the other hand will work, and throws off a bit of heat to help keep the room / house warm.

Until you get your heating bill....

The dehumidifyers aren't cheap to run either, and they are bulky and noisy. I get this problem with my flats, people shut up in well sealed older properties trying to keep the heating bills produces damp, it's a pain in the arse. Opening the windows when you're out is often the best way to deal, but yeah dehumidifiers are effective if you can put up with them.

Until you get your heating bill....

The dehumidifyers aren't cheap to run either, and they are bulky and noisy. I get this problem with my flats, people shut up in well sealed older properties trying to keep the heating bills produces damp, it's a pain in the arse. Opening the windows when you're out is often the best way to deal, but yeah dehumidifiers are effective if you can put up with them.

I don't find mine noisy. It is on all night and off all day. Mind you it is in the next room, but all doors are open. The cost of running it 12 hours a day is about £20 a month, but that also adds to the heating in the winter, and is also very handy for drying clothes, saving the tumble dryer, which is expensive to run and does not add to the warmth of the house, from being on all the time. Obviously, it is not needed in the summer when the windows are open.