Over 100 Council Houses Could Be Demolished

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The real solution is to sell the houses to the tenants. When people actually own them, "somehow or other", things get sorted out. Capitalism can be a cruel system but it works.

"Let them have an upstairs loo." Said Missus Uppity, while quaffing cheap wine in the hot tub......lol. (Not safe for work)

Its funny a few months back an Auldyn spokes person was on the radio complaining that a lot of the govt schemes were coming to an end and men will be out of work.   £76k to render a semi and fit ven

Posted Images

I thought modern cavity wall insulation solved the old penetrating damp issues. Is that just sales bollocks then?

Looks like I may want to reconsider my insulation plans.

If you are installing cavity wall insulation into an old house then there could be problems.

To illustrate for example, those wire ties that look like bow-ties are specifically designed to prevent water from travelling across them

post-4192-0-84907700-1349784079_thumb.jpg

with built in 'drips' which force any water that builds up to drop down the cavity and then to the outside wall. All that trouble to separate the outside and inside wall ...and then someone comes along and fills up the whole damn gap. It's crazy.

Is the problem rising damp or penertrating damp ?

I know that those houses have the original render on them so maybe instead of filling the air gap they should have applied external insulation instead.

This type of insulation has been popular on properties and seems to work.

They could have actually done 2 jobs at once this way

Shame the islands so far behind when it comes to new ways of building.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Roger Smelly
  • Like 1

I thought modern cavity wall insulation solved the old penetrating damp issues. Is that just sales bollocks then?

Looks like I may want to reconsider my insulation plans.

Filling the gap is ALWAYS a bad idea. Filling it stops air circulating and keeping it dry. This adds to the problems these Williston houses have.

No no no this cant be true, I read a thread on this not long ago.....All council houses are lovely palatial spreads with three or more bedrooms...they are all in gorgeous locations and they all have bmw's, caravans, motorhomes and speedboats outside. And all of the tenants pay £2 a year rent and are thoroughly undeserving of the accomodation.

Theres not a chance that some could be cold, damp, run down, horrible boxes in dreadful locations !!!

• Like 2

Is the problem rising damp or penertrating damp ?

I know that those houses have the original render on them so maybe instead of filling the air gap they should have applied external insulation instead.

This type of insulation has been popular on properties and seems to work.

They could have actually done 2 jobs at once this way

Shame the islands so far behind when it comes to new ways of building.

[media=]

[/media]

this is simialr to Expolathe which has been used on some of the commisisoners houses at Gladstone Avenue in Ramsey, I don't think the island is way behind, its just alwasy looking for the cheapest to install option, and paying for it.....

From MR - http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=61915

"A report to the council this week will suggest a pilot repair scheme to six homes, at a cost of over £425,000"

WTF? A cost of £424k to make good just SIX homes! Fuckerama - what ARE they doing at £70k a pop? Draining the excess moisture into an indoor swimming pool or something?

Let me see here - 70k per house, average rent an unrealistic £350 pm - ROA zero for the next 16 years or so.

Start again with something far more efficient would probably be a better investment. Especially if there's some "rightsizing" to be done along the way....

This is just the tip of the iceberg, how many houses were done and how many in the future will have these problems.

I am all for building modern houses that preform well, but these houses just need to be renovated.

The damp is probably coming in from the porus render, i would say the actual work that needs doing is under half of the price, its the project managment and inspectors that cost the money on a scheme like this.

Can they really think of demolishing those houses in the middle of a recession ?

p.s £425.000 could that figure be inflated to make new build the best option sweatingbullets.gif

Edited by Roger Smelly

This is just the tip of the iceberg, how many houses were done and how many in the future will have these problems.

Get with the programme Roger - there are poor multi millionaire developers who will go without a new Bentley next year if we just patch these places up and they last another 20 or so years. Isn't that what public money is for? Its not to make normal peoples' lives better.

So speaks the truth haha.

i must of been feeling ill this afternoon i actually thought people cared about each other.

I always thought bentleys were what developers gave away ?

our house was built in 1855 and even though I'm nowhere near a millionaire, (not even a thousandaire), we have to maintain and care for our house ourselves so stop whinging.................wish someone had handed me £70,000 worth of repairs over the years we have been here.