• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is a loony. But has been let down by the weather. I'm surprised Manx Gas aren't financing this adventure.

I was watching him on TV this morning doing his practice jump. A modern day role model, made of the 'right stuff' IMO, and all whilst advancing the technology he is using. Inspirational.

Well he doesn't inspire me to try stuff like that. But each to their own. Better luck for Thursday maybe.

You would think if he went through the sound barrier the sonics would kill him. I don't know ofc but that is what I think.

I thought that, at least I thought his ear drums would implode, until I heard he was doing it in some super-duper pressure suit. I've done that already (nearly) in a plane.

I've been discussing this at length with people who know stuff, the sonic boom is relative to the size of the thing that breaks the 'sound barrier' something about sound particles stacking up until the object breaks through, so presuming he has a spike on his feet with a really skinny point, he'll be ok.....

Eh? The sound barrier has been broken in free fall before, ya know?

But all the reports are bigging it up as the first skydiver to do so. Did the ones to which you refer just hit the ground without a parachute?

I suspect you're being sarcastic, but you have to jump from pretty much where Felix Bumgardener is jumping from to break the sound barrier. Atmosphere is too thick lower down at plane operating heights, so can't have been someone without a chute.

I've been discussing this at length with people who know stuff, the sonic boom is relative to the size of the thing that breaks the 'sound barrier' something about sound particles stacking up until the object breaks through, so presuming he has a spike on his feet with a really skinny point, he'll be ok.....

At the point at which he reaches Mach 1, the air will be too dense to produce sonic waves (and the quintessential boom) so shape is irrelevant.

At the point at which he reaches Mach 1, the air will be too dense to produce sonic waves (and the quintessential boom) so shape is irrelevant.

Eh!!!! there is only one thing 'too dense' around here thumbsup.gif he's freefalling in less dense atmosphere....where the wind resistance is less but he will still produce a sonic boom just a smaller one...think of it more like a sonic Burp