Manx Radio And The Interlopers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

Ron Berry denies reverse takeover of Manx Radio

http://goo.gl/hpWW9

Seems that he has his head screwed on, haven't read more sense in a long time.

I still think those that issued additional broadcast licences should not have issued so many without first taking all of these predicatable issues (advertising split especially) into account on such a small island.
  • Like 1

The only thing Berry and Turner would be interested in at MR is the free money.

"He suggests an amalgamation of the three radio stations, with all operating from Manx Radio's premises, although they would keep their separate identity for programming purposes but by sharing certain overheads and reducing staffing at Manx Radio the service could be run profitably. However, even his proposal included a sizeable chunk of public money being invested each year; some of which would be returned to government if the new Corporation; made a profit; but it would also be shared among the private shareholders too ; i.e. Mr Berry"

As I was saying!

Edited by piebaps

He suggests an amalgamation of the three radio stations, with all operating from Manx Radio's premises, although they would keep their separate identity for programming purposes but by sharing certain overheads and reducing staffing at Manx Radio the service could be run profitably

But isn't that just what 3fm and Energy have just done? Firstly that means that the potential savings have already been reduced. But it also suggests that you don't save vast amounts of money doing it. Or why are the two station still looking for what is effectively public subsidy?

Of course it could just be that Ron Berry expects the government to give him money whenever he asks. Seems to have worked so far.

• Like 1

HIs complaint seems to be that in addition to taxpayers' money manx radio recieves advertising income, which increases competition for that revenue, reducing the amount available to Energy and Three.

Essentially, he doesn't like the competition. When Energy was proposed, MR said there wasn't enough advertising cash for two, and the response was 'tough'. When 3FM was proposed MR AND Energy said there wasn't enough advertising cash for three, and the response was 'tough'. Now, 3/Energy are saying there isn't enough advertising cash for them, so why shouldn't the answer to that now be 'tough'?

In my view MR radio should remove itself from the advertising market and rely solely on the subvention and any income it can make from selling its output, products and services. I reckon that would allow a staff reduction of about six (I'm guessing at one sales manager, a sales team of four, someone looking after the invoices and someone responsible for putting the adverts into the programmes). Even if they each only earned £20,000, which I imagine is waaaay on the low side, there's a saving of £120,000 each year in basic salaries, not including expenses etc.

• Like 1

Hmmm, to save a few quid, could this mean the end of Manx Radio? Could it be about friends/approaches from the other station(s)?

I mean with friends awarded contracts to aid run radio stations (getting a much smaller subsidy for guaranteeing doing some Manx programmes), commercial friends would never attack the hand that feeds it would they?

Then there's all that yummy MR real estate to sell off? Plus the name 'MR' itself. What's in a name? Outsourcing?

to save a few quid "you" say, its a fucking million pounds,how many nurses,etc could this be used for,get real close this shite down NOW

He suggests an amalgamation of the three radio stations, with all operating from Manx Radio's premises, although they would keep their separate identity for programming purposes but by sharing certain overheads and reducing staffing at Manx Radio the service could be run profitably

But isn't that just what 3fm and Energy have just done? Firstly that means that the potential savings have already been reduced. But it also suggests that you don't save vast amounts of money doing it. Or why are the two station still looking for what is effectively public subsidy?

Of course it could just be that Ron Berry expects the government to give him money whenever he asks. Seems to have worked so far.

ron berry is a slimeball,he's all over the politicians,and the athol street mob,watch him closely