Manx Radio And The Interlopers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

We know what Ron Berry will pay the managers under his vision. According to the presentation he has given to some members of Tynwald (and Positive Action Group, but that video has been removed off the manx.net website) and that's ".. £40-£45k.... "

Is it this one that was removed? http://www.manx.net/...-corporation-1-

Nope. That is another video, an interview on the same night between Paul Moulton (broadcaster and ex-Manx Radio employee) and Ron Berry (broadcaster and ex-Manx Radio employee).

Where is the video of Ronnie's presentation gone?

(if you want to see the replacement video, or indeed any video from MTTV on manx.net, you need to be patient and let it load)

Edited by carbon selector

Is that Rebecca less than three miles away?

You are looking for a woman less than 3 miles away?

Bloody hell, I thought after the invention of the pedal cycle and more recently the motor car, courting men could look a bit further afield, than their village.

People in the past, looking within a 3 mile radius for their mate, resulted in our current crop of politician's. hug.gif

• Like 3

Given the ridiculously low fees paid to freelancers by all local radio stations, you wouldn't save much at all by getting students in for free - and you'd probably have to employ someone to let them in and keep an eye on them. And there don't seem to be many looking for that kind of work - maybe that's a Manx thing, but last time I asked the Programming boss how many applications he got a week from wannabe jocks IIRC he said 'one or two if that' whereas a UK local station would be getting handfuls every day.

Just trying out ideas on how to help students in this field, as well as giving good reason for government subsidies! My thoughts were on making manx radio a leader in the industry! Especially as in my thoughts, the students would have to get their own sponsorship when doing their spots! Anyway it was only a throw in idea!

• Like 1

And constructive ideas are always welcomed. I've come to realise in my dotage that most things that look an easy fix from the outside (roads, health service, social services, housing, drug addiction how to run buses and airports etc) are probably a lot more difficult to tackle than people realise. With local media some people have a perception of showbiz lifestyles and big incomes, the reality is very different and is often down to some massively dedicated people and sheer hard work. I'm not playing the sympathy card - I'd certainly rather sit in a warm studio for a couple of hours a day talking shite than being out in the cold all day shovelling it, but I don't think there are any easy wins that haven't been investigated over the years. MR does have a sponsored 'newsroom intern' programme which seems to work well if the person is sufficiently motivated to make the most of the opportunity - whether that could be broadened out eventually, I don't know.

The smell of desperation is wafting down from Douglas head, I've just seen on Facebook a survey on local radio. The questions are heavily biased towards Manx Radio and it just so happens that the survey is being conducted by a major sponsor of theirs !! Obviously the RAJAR figures are not backing Manx Radio so now they are having an "independant" survey conducted.

The smell of desperation is wafting down from Douglas head, I've just seen on Facebook a survey on local radio. The questions are heavily biased towards Manx Radio and it just so happens that the survey is being conducted by a major sponsor of theirs !! Obviously the RAJAR figures are not backing Manx Radio so now they are having an "independant" survey conducted.

Don't be naive and disingenuous. It's a Manx Radio survey, asking listeners what they want from radio. When's the last time a commercial media outlet did that?

Listening figures always vary as you well know - whoever gets a good quarter makes PR hay, knowing it could easily turn around by the next report. But MR's numbers are always in the top handful in the British Isles and they maintained a far bigger share than Energy or 3FM hoped they would.

Radio is here for a while, I tried watching a video on MTTV earlier but after a few minutes watching the hourglass of death I realised that the miracle of internet delivery is still some way off - high speed broadband or not.

The smell of desperation is wafting down from Douglas head,

It's already vomit-inducing from the other two stations.

As much as I try , I have no idea what you are talking about!, I've not see or heard any blatant attempts by the other stations to misslead people into completing surveys on the pretext of it being unbiased. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

The smell of desperation is wafting down from Douglas head,

It's already vomit-inducing from the other two stations.

As much as I try , I have no idea what you are talking about!, I've not see or heard any blatant attempts by the other stations to misslead people into completing surveys on the pretext of it being unbiased. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

Certainly - just as soon as you can direct me to Mr Berry's 'missing' presentation.

Stu so why is MR not up front and say so , instead of dressing it up as a survey into local radio?

It wasn't the best designed survey I've ever come across, but it was quite clearly about Manx Radio and on its behalf. It's the sort of thing that most media outlets do all the time - I'm constantly being requested to "spend 5 minutes to let us know what you think of us/our website".

And constructive ideas are always welcomed. I've come to realise in my dotage that most things that look an easy fix from the outside (roads, health service, social services, housing, drug addiction how to run buses and airports etc) are probably a lot more difficult to tackle than people realise. With local media some people have a perception of showbiz lifestyles and big incomes, the reality is very different and is often down to some massively dedicated people and sheer hard work. I'm not playing the sympathy card - I'd certainly rather sit in a warm studio for a couple of hours a day talking shite than being out in the cold all day shovelling it, but I don't think there are any easy wins that haven't been investigated over the years. MR does have a sponsored 'newsroom intern' programme which seems to work well if the person is sufficiently motivated to make the most of the opportunity - whether that could be broadened out eventually, I don't know.

MR costs were controlled up until the last dacade when it has just got out of control.

I know that i am sounding like a broken record (pardon the pun) but if the politicians still cant find out accurate salary figures for the senior management up there (£45K+ could mean anything...) then how can we have an informed debate as to weather they are achieving value for money for the tax payer which supports the station with a £1M handout.

I think before we can slag off Ron and Juan the management at MT have to stand up and be accounted for with regards to tax payer handouts.