Manx Radio And The Interlopers

Sting who? I started the thread and it seems to be going great!! stuart.gif

So long as it doesn't become "Government funding towards Stu's coffee shop" I'm happy and I wish Stu all the best with the venture. I hope the rent isn't too high. When I look at the rents of commercial premises nowadays I always think of the number of whatevers you would have to sell just to meet that huge expense. I imagine it will be quite a lot of lattes. Have you been in retail before Stu?

Edited by woolley
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

It was more about annoying the people who need to point out it's "espresso"

Pet hate Pet hate Pet hate.

People who call it Expresso also order a Cappuccino after 10am. Wannabe-continental-Europeans ph34r.png

Some people are crazy like that.

I once ordered a cup of English Breakfast tea.....

In the AFTERNOON!!!

Stu: Will it be possible to just order a cup of coffee ? Would that be O.K. ?

Interesting point SMUJ. I expect the correct response from us would be 'black or white'? Former would result in an Americano and latter a Latte I suppose. But we're not planning to have jug or instant coffee, or anything faintly Bavarian UNLESS there's a demand for it, as we're quite relaxed about providing what customers want as long as there's a profit in there.

Its about time the Island reintroduced a lap dancing joint.

An old chap I know got lap dancing mixed up with line dancing and went along with his cowboy hat on. Got quite a shock.

People who call it Expresso also order a Cappuccino after 10am. Wannabe-continental-Europeans ph34r.png

In the AFTERNOON!!!

You didn't? Shocking! ohmy.png

In the AFTERNOON!!!

Wow! Talk about living on the edge!

Happy to discuss Coffee Exchange/hot beverages/high margins/silly German words (it's all great publicity!) but respectfully suggest a separate thread rather than clog this one.

Actually L3 this is a pretty pro-to-neutral MR thread for a change. I just don't want to be accused of hijacking it to whore my new business (open till 6pm M-F).

Actually L3 this is a pretty pro-to-neutral MR thread for a change. I just don't want to be accused of hijacking it to whore my new business (open till 6pm M-F).

And that would be open from next week if the particularly bright and noticable posters on the windows are correct?

To be fair Stu someone else hijacked the thread by claiming that you were getting free plugs for you great new coffee shop on Athol Street open Monday to Friday till 6.00pm

Presumably this was a Berry/Turner minion and if that was the case, I'm quite happy to see it backfire on them!

Are you doing any food/light snacks by the way?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.

The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT proposal includes:

- all three coffee shops working from the same premises (this will cut down on costs as they can all use the same kettle and the equipment that Stu has bought and paid for. It'll also mean that, as they won't need to pay any rent (Stu will be paying it) then the costs for their operations will be greatly reduced

- the coffee shop will be targeted at three separate groups: old people who hate kids; kids; and adults who hate old people and kids. They will have sections of the shop cornered off for each of these groups. The coffee with all be identical, but we can make it relevant to the young people by playing a generic music bed under it as they drink it. The old people can have Time For Brass playing, or something.

- They can cut costs by removing all the service and installing vending machines which will automatically spit coffee out at you. These can be in place after 6pm to start with, with a long term aim of removing all the servers apart from at Breakfast and HomeTime. This will save a packet = who needs people to interact with when the whole process can be automated.

- JT will continue to serve the local young people with a mix of drinks targeted mainly at the lucrative 25-45 year olds market. Whilst some might feel this replicates exactly what the RB shop would offer, it doesn't. Cos he'll also run lots of campaigns to support local youths like his successful support of tuition fees which will end up with them paying more than they used to for things that were free.

The major upshot of all of this is that RB and JT can cut their costs enormously and still rake in a healthy profit to share amongst themselves. This should help them both subsidise their meagre salaries, some of which is paid for out of Stu's business rates. Stu, who will be left with all the overheads having spent time and money developing his coffee shop idea, will be allowed to continue his 'brand' of service as long as he stays quiet in the corner and doesn't upset the applecart.

The rumour is, however, that RB and JTs coffee might well just taste a bit bitter.

• Like 8