Manx Radio And The Interlopers

I'm a big fan of MR but to me it's another example of IOM govt sponsored institutions burying their heads in the sands when it comes to promoting the island, businesses, etc

'Mom & Pop' businesses would be far better off promoting themselves on social media than paying the immense MR advertising fees, which is one reason why I'd wish to see the national broadcaster become much more of a multi-media operation

If you always do what you always did , you'll always get what you always got - which is unsubstantiated payroll costs

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

I'd wish to see the national broadcaster become much more of a multi-media operation

They could call it Manx Multimedia. Hmmm. Maybe someone on the inside there is already plotting a coup.stuart.gif

• Like 1

There was a time I never thought that would-be Benevolent Dictator Peters would get the support

But I fear now that dark forces are massing in the shadows...

btw

just heard the current MR advert looking for an in-house "intern" as from September.

but thinks the current intern is the 3rd in the series (?) what is the point of having an intern trained that then isn't offered a full time job, or finds one elsewhere?

deja vu, somebody / organisation / Govt (?) "helps out" paying for the intern's "training" (?)

The intern position as I understand it is part-funded by a trust or other body and so the cost to MR is greatly reduced. The station gets a smart green rookie and a year later turns out someone with intensive training and proper work experience. The interns get real-world, hands-on, in at the deep end experience in a career that's notoriously difficult to break into (vicious circle: you need experience to get a job and you need to have had a job to get experience). The scheme has been running for maybe five years, and every single intern has I think got a full-time job after 'graduating'.

All the interns know at the outset that there's unlikely to be a MR job at the end of it, but also know that they'll be eminently more employable (and skilled) than someone with a degree certificate. I think it's a great scheme and should be applauded rather than sniped at.

Roger Mexico - advertising revenue is down. Who'd have thought that having two additional radio stations and numerous magazines and commercial internet sites as competitors and a global recession would have contributed to people spending less with MR? And the same people advertising year on year - are you for real? I can't comment on the management question because I'm not privy to that information, but are you seriously suggesting that MR should close down its sales operation and hope that clients keep sending money?

No, what MR needs is someone smart and sharp who has a varied but related CV and can be creative in sweating the assets and bringing home the bacon. Oh wait, they've recruited Kel Smith who is ALL those things!

A reasonable person might also decide that commercial income is more important than ever to M.R., and that as a national broadcaster it's right and proper for its sales people to spend time as much time as possible with Mom & Pop stores and come up with affordable packages to encourage them to advertise and grow their businesses.

It's easier to measure the cost of something rather than the value.

But it's the awful adverts that put people off listening to MR!

• Like 1

Stu - I didn't suggest that Manx Radio close down its Sales Department, though the Internal Audit Report did point out:

This analysis is not intended to demonstrate that the sales and marketing team do not make a positive contribution, but rather to indicate that with a further subvention of circa £250,000 to £300,000 per annum Manx Radio could become a fully publicly funded broadcaster.

which rather implies that closing them down wouldn't make as much of a difference in revenue as some might think and that what you might call the BBC model (rather than say the RTE one) is certainly possible with only say half the annual cash that the DED wants to guarantee to the MEF for the next 10 years.

The report also said:

4.54 An analysis of sales income for 2011/2012, based on information provided by the Manx Radio Accountant, shows that Manx Radio made sales to approximately 300 customers, the largest being in the region of £25,000 with the Top 15 clients averaging circa £16,000. The number of clients who were actively sought and managed by the sales team was 235 during the year and the smallest of these accounts, over a full 12 month period, was in the region of £1,600. The percentage of income arising from customers is shown below:

Table 26: Percentage of sales income rose by percentage of customers

%age of sales income2011/2012 / Customers (298)

25% / 13 (4%)

50% / 39 (13%)

75% / 90 (30%)

4.55 This demonstrates that the lowest 25% of Manx Radio‟s income arises 67% of its customer base. This would indicate that a considerable amount of cost is incurred in securing these small sales. Interestingly also of Manx Radio‟s top 30 sales customers for 2010/11 and 2012/12 there were 21 in common.

So the answer to "And the same people advertising year on year - are you for real?" is well, yes, they are and I am[1].

Now I don't think Manx Radio should stop advertising, just pointing out that it's one entirely plausible route. But if advertising revenue is declining (probably reflecting general media trends rather than increased competition) then the costs of bringing it in have to fall too. Especially since the sales contribution has fallen pretty consistently year on year while costs have continued to rise.

I'm sure Kel Smith is all the things you say, but even the best person can't get enough extra revenue when it isn't there (and it's rather a waste of them to have them try). It's quite clear that the Sales Department is seriously malfunctioning and there is change needed in its operation and its management - an extra or different person trying to get a failing system to work won't really help.

While cutbacks have been made to those who carry out Manx Radio's core role - making programmes (as you know only too well) - what appears to outsiders to be a disproportionate and over-paid "back-office" seems little touched. Until that is tackled new people, no matter how good, are not really going to improve the system.

[1] Obviously being the internet the latter isn't true and I'm really a talking dog. In Outer Mongolia.

• Like 1

But I'm sure the ads are the same on 3FM and Energy, Snaipyr. I hear some howlers, but I can't in all conscience bite the hand that feeds me. As you know I offer a bespoke local alternative production service, but nobody has beaten a path to my door as the airtime/production package deals on offer from the radio stations are usually unbeatable.Part of the problem is the endless repetition - I'd prefer to only allow a certain number of plays before an ad had to be replaced, but any station doing that would be committing suicide.

It leads to the old debate - would more people listen to MR if there were no ads, and if so would the taxpayer be happy to increase the subvention to allow that to happen and give a commercial monopoly to 3nergy...I suspect the answer to both would be a resounding NO.

I am sure that some advertising is counterproductive. As Stu says, ads get overplayed, become boring and then downright annoying. What business wants to annoy potential customers? Some of the ads on MR were bad from the first time they were broadcast but some have become so after endless playing out year after year after year. There are a few examples, but one that comes to mind - not saying it is the worst - is the one with the jingle, "when you save a little money, it means a lot these days". I think I've been hearing that for a quarter of a century, or thereabouts. The business in question can have little clue what effect it has if any. If I were them I would kick it in the head for at least six months and then come back with something fresh.

• Like 1

It leads to the old debate - would more people listen to MR if there were no ads, and if so would the taxpayer be happy to increase the subvention to allow that to happen and give a commercial monopoly to 3nergy...I suspect the answer to both would be a resounding NO.

I think that sums up the problem of the MR sense of entitlement.

And I think it illustrates the point everyone has been making, which is simple enough: Cut the ads, cut the back office staff, reduce the subvention, maintain audience.

Most logical thought processes end up with that conclusion.

The ones that don't are mostly the ones that begin with the assumption that Manx Radio can't be changed because .... it's Manx Radio.

And I think it illustrates the point everyone has been making, which is simple enough: Cut the ads, cut the back office staff, reduce the subvention, maintain audience.

I don't think it's quite the point I've been making. If you cut the ads you'd have to increase the subvention - just by not as much as people might think and perhaps it's a option to operate a different ad-free but more expensive model. That's a decision for Tynwald to make - you would hope with a wider public input. Alternatively the Sales Department should slim down (from the top not the bottom) and operate more efficiently, rather than spending a lot of money and time chasing a small amount of extra available revenue.

Similarly there are savings to be made by cutting back in the admin, but there still needs to be some done. Part of the problem isn't so much entitlement but what you might call "nation-itis" - the belief that because the Island is a separate country (sort of), we should have the same bureaucratic superstructure as larger nations[1]. So Manx Radio is the "national" broadcaster and needs to be set up and run in the same way as the BBC despite being a tiny fraction of the size.

But all these savings would do would be restore the money that has been taken from what Manx Radio really should be doing, which is supplying news and other programming.

[1] It won't have escaped your attention that this attitude isn't confined to Manx Radio.

• Like 1

I am sure that some advertising is counterproductive. As Stu says, ads get overplayed, become boring and then downright annoying. What business wants to annoy potential customers? Some of the ads on MR were bad from the first time they were broadcast but some have become so after endless playing out year after year after year. There are a few examples, but one that comes to mind - not saying it is the worst - is the one with the jingle, "when you save a little money, it means a lot these days". I think I've been hearing that for a quarter of a century, or thereabouts. The business in question can have little clue what effect it has if any. If I were them I would kick it in the head for at least six months and then come back with something fresh.

I know the one Wolley, I feel like I have been hearing that for most of my adult life. Is that not what a good advert should do though? Get implanted in your mind, like Carlseberg "If Carlseberg did x" and Coke-Colas "Its the Real Thing"

I dont know but lots of ads that cost millions on the telly really piss me off too but they get into your head and I think that is the point.

If I ran a company making widgets and I was allowed to say on the radio/ TV that my widgets use will make your penis grow 2" as a side effect, that would stick in men's/ women's mind I think, is this not similar? w00t.gif

I don't think it's quite the point I've been making. If you cut the ads you'd have to increase the subvention - just by not as much as people might think and perhaps it's a option to operate a different ad-free but more expensive model. That's a decision for Tynwald to make - you would hope with a wider public input. Alternatively the Sales Department should slim down (from the top not the bottom) and operate more efficiently, rather than spending a lot of money and time chasing a small amount of extra available revenue.

Similarly there are savings to be made by cutting back in the admin, but there still needs to be some done. Part of the problem isn't so much entitlement but what you might call "nation-itis" - the belief that because the Island is a separate country (sort of), we should have the same bureaucratic superstructure as larger nations[1]. So Manx Radio is the "national" broadcaster and needs to be set up and run in the same way as the BBC despite being a tiny fraction of the size.

But all these savings would do would be restore the money that has been taken from what Manx Radio really should be doing, which is supplying news and other programming.

I read somewhere earlier that advertising contributes c£250k to the bottom line in real terms.

Which sounds like four big salaries.

Without looking at the staff roster I bet that's easily possible to cut.

Then we have an ad-free Manx Radio and we haven't increased the subvention by a single penny.

Completely agree with you about the way MR tries to be the same as the BBC, which is a waste of time and money and impossible to achieve. This is the Isle of Man, not Westminster. There are more than enough genuinely Manx topics to cover without trying to do our own Panorama, World at One, etc, etc. And they don't all require BBC levels of budget.

I know the one Wolley, I feel like I have been hearing that for most of my adult life. Is that not what a good advert should do though? Get implanted in your mind, like Carlseberg "If Carlseberg did x" and Coke-Colas "Its the Real Thing"

I dont know but lots of ads that cost millions on the telly really piss me off too but they get into your head and I think that is the point.

If I ran a company making widgets and I was allowed to say on the radio/ TV that my widgets use will make your penis grow 2" as a side effect, that would stick in men's/ women's mind I think, is this not similar? w00t.gif

I do see that point Blade, and I agree if you are lucky enough to have a stonking world brand, but if you haven't it's a different game entirely. Off the top of my head I can't even recall what the ad I've heard for all of those years is selling. It doesn't have quite the same effect as "the real thing".