Manx Radio And The Interlopers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

A point from another thread worth a wider viewing: The Perspective programme at 6 this evening on the sailing ship "Star of India" and the wider Ramsey shipbuilding industry of the 19th century was brilliant and well worth a hearing on Listen Again. An example of the kind of thing that Manx Radio excels at and that we would risk losing at our peril.

• Like 2

How sad it is that the normally excellent national broadcaster is stifling voter comment in the run up to the Douglas West by-election

Then hopefully when Chris Thomas is elected, the first thing he'll do is change the laws and guidelines about election reporting. It's a bit tiring hearing him whinge about it at length.

• Like 1

How sad it is that the normally excellent national broadcaster is stifling voter comment in the run up to the Douglas West by-election

We've asked people not to comment on Douglas West election candidates or their issues on Talking Heads strictly IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIRNESS. There are very strict rules concerning election coverage which I think come into force once the nominations close.Some candidates (and more to the point their supporters) suddenly seem to think their every thought then deserves prime airtime. It doesn't, they're simply trying to win an election and get a competitive advantage for free. Manx Radio provides plenty of election coverage where every candidate is welcomed to the studio and given a proper platform, equal airtime and an opportunity for debate - a phone-in show is not that.

I'm a great admirer of our national broadcaster & do what I can to try and encourage govt to provide more funding for it, but on this issue you're TOTALLY WRONG

Having checked the broadcasting election guide from the Communications Commission, there are NO STRICT RULES on preventing comment from the voting public, just about ensuring equal airtime for candidates. I suggest you read them http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cc/codes/2004summerrevisedprogram_code.pdf

Politics on this island are closed enough without Manx Radio contributing to the lack of openness, for heavens sake!

Surely any normal broadcaster would want to encourage interest about the political process & encourage folk to get involved? I despair...

& anyway, who are you to ask people not to comment?

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

Having checked the broadcasting election guide from the Communications Commission, there are NO STRICT RULES on preventing comment from the voting public, just about ensuring equal airtime for candidates. I suggest you read them http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cc/codes/2004summerrevisedprogram_code.pdf

Wrong. I suggest you read them.

4.1(i): "due impartiality must be strictly maintained in coverage of the campaign in any constituency."

That means if there are lots of comments in favour of one candidate, that rule is breached. Most media outlets do exactly the same thing and avoid open, live comments from the public during election periods because of the danger a particular candidate will be favoured. Newspapers will balance their letters page or dump the openly campaigning letters.

Don't be ridiculous, you can't stop ordinary voting public talking about political issues & nor should you

An editor might sensibly seek to achieve balance in a programme but to encourage open debate amongst ordinary people is a good thing, not something to be controlled or banned altogether

Don't be ridiculous, you can't stop ordinary voting public talking about political issues

Actually you can - that's what you're complaining about, isn't it? I'm not so au fait with the broadcasting code, but I can tell you the Newspaper Society and the Press Complaints Commission have very, very similar rules. If you can't guarantee you can balance a debate because everybody taking part could favour one candidate then you shouldn't hold the debate. It's very different to having one or more candidates to field questions. And of course, in print it's a lot easier to balance because you have time to do so.

Personally, having heard some of the calls to MR I'm not surprised the by-election is a no-go. And I don't recall ever having heard a "speak your brains" phone-in on a by-election or a local election or a general election.

Can I suggest you debate the issues rather than push for people to support Chris Thomas? I'd say a call in to a radio station about getting rid of Legislative Council is OK - saying you should vote for CT because he supports getting rid of it is not. So there's no stifling of debate, simply a denial of unfair campaigning by supporters.

There are some great people in UK media who do do that I'd say

I've not mentioned Chris Thomas in this thread & local people are quite capable of judging for themselves whether they agree with candidates on issues or not

To me it's vital that the issues themselves do receive an open 'airing'

Looking forward to 'Sunday Opinion' this week!

Thank goodness for Twitter & ManxForums

There are some great people in UK media who do do that I'd say

I've not mentioned Chris Thomas in this thread & local people are quite capable of judging for themselves whether they agree with candidates on issues or not

To me it's vital that the issues themselves do receive an open 'airing'

Looking forward to 'Sunday Opinion' this week!

Thank goodness for Twitter & ManxForums

(a) Those great people are in the UK and so not subject to the broadcasting code you linked to.

(b) Whether people agree with candidates or not doesn't affect whether you breach that code. It's not a defence to say people are capable of judging for themselves - the breach occurs when you don't balance the debate.

© The issues can be aired. Discussion of issues isn't banned, discussion of the election is. There's nothing to stop you ringing in and complaining about dog shit in West Douglas and suggesting a solution. You just can't say Chris Thomas will do something about it if he's elected.

Wow, have the Broadcasting Commission created a code without basing it on something from the UK? That must be a first

It seems bizarre to me that people can speak on 'Talking Heads' or write on iomtoday.co.im about issues such as the Sefton 'Sweetheart' deal which are current political issues of the day but if they were mentioned in the context of #douglaswest they'd be immediately censored

I've not mentioned Chris Thomas or any other candidates

Manx Radio back in Tynwald again with regard to Radio TT - I found this rather interesting, particularly the comment

" Manx Radio was awarded broadcast commentary rights for TT because it is the only station able to do so without interrupting its existing service."

Surely if a commercial station wished to change its output to cater for the event it would be within its rights to do so, or are they bound to maintain a strict structure as a condition of their licence ?

Well it was bound to happen. After Stu was allowed to plug his coffee palace, with extra mentions from Binlid, now a newsreader today launches into what be be only described as a full-on commercial plug during the news bulletin. The event is at QE2. When, how much the tickets cost etc...oh yes..the newsreader just happens to be married to the head teacher of the school!! Where is the management?

Well it was bound to happen. After Stu was allowed to plug his coffee palace, with extra mentions from Binlid, now a newsreader today launches into what be be only described as a full-on commercial plug during the news bulletin. The event is at QE2. When, how much the tickets cost etc...oh yes..the newsreader just happens to be married to the head teacher of the school!! Where is the management?

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

mobile mike, on 15 May 2013 - 12:55, said:snapback.png

Snowy weather seems to have helped Manx Radio listening figured in the latest survey out today but long term decline to under half the population seems inevitable

You appear to have an obsession with everything concerning Manx Radio - care to explain why (without all the bullshit about being a tax payer and resenting the subvention on those grounds)?

You really are becoming a bore - you don't even comment on any other subject! Therefore, it's probably safe to assume that you're connected to one of the lesser stations and that anything you say about MR can safely be ignored.

• Like 1