Manx Radio And The Interlopers

And to complete the set, here is part 2.

Moulton was better in parts 2 and 3 (maybe part 1 was giving them enough rope). Pugh[1] and North weren't particularly impressive even against the wonderfully self-interested Berry plan. Maybe they thought if you pointed out that it basically consisted of:

(a) take taxpayers' money;

(b) give it to your mates;

CoMin might have thought "Hey, that's what we do!" and gone ahead with it. They also failed to point out explicitly enough that the Berry proposals would mean moving from a situation where you had one public service broadcaster (a lot of the time) and two identical radio stations to one where you had three identical radio stations doing very little PSB.

I also found North and Pugh's "S4C" proposal unconvincing as it seemed to consist of "Everyone should give us a lot of money, not just the government", without much indication of the likelihood of the extra cash arriving. They also seemed unwilling to discuss[2] the possibility Manx Radio becoming the local BBC station paid from the licence fee. The obvious objection to this is that an organisation as short of cash as the BBC is hardly going to pay for something that is currently being done for free (to them). The fact that Pugh and North didn't say that suggests either that it is a possibility or maybe that they refuse to contemplate the loss of office that would ensue.

It was also revealing that North directed his complaint about government interference against some past incident where the Treasury had made some late demand for cash, wrecking their budget. Whether this was Treasury incompetence or Manx Radio failing to make provision they should have (my money's on both) is irrelevant. It ignores the real problem, which is the way that the annual subvention is set makes Manx Radio vulnerable to constant political interference.

I presume that the interview was recorded on Friday before the announcement that Myers was going to look into Manx Radio, and I thought it interesting that they seemed genuinely unaware that it would him doing it. Which rather suggests they are being kept out of the loop or just not very knowledgeable (I mean who else writes radio reports?).

[1] With regards to mobile mike's insinuations, I don't think that Pugh's body language means that he hates David North. I just think that Pugh is one of those people who thinks that time devoted to anyone else speaking is wasted. After all who is going to listen to them? He certainly won't.

[2] North did that Manx Establishment thing of turning on Moulton and demanding in effect "Who are you to say that?". I've always found it interesting how often on the Island an awkward question or reasoned criticism is met a demand that the questioner or critic prove that they are entitled to say what they said. Clearly it's not what is said that matters but who says it. It was particularly unedifying in this case as it also involved the sort of petty nationalism that Manx politicians can use to justify themselves - No True Manxman would ever allow Manx Radio to be run by the BBC - with the implication that if Moulton thought otherwise he was a traitor and should probably be run off the Island.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

Good post Roger Mexico.

In my opinion David North showed himself up to be a rather silly man, who rather enjoys his booming confident voice (a la Geoff Corkish outside of teh Keys?) but there seems to be little substance behind what he says. These videos are the first I have come across Anthony Pugh, and from these videos he has provided me with little confiodence that MR is in good hands, albeit expensive ones.

I don't like the Berry proposal at all. But I can now see why he has submitted his proposals..

Lets hope Mr Myers will recommend a complete reappraisal of the way MR is both managed & governed

As the 'national broadcaster' it needs to be brought much more into the community & could be very much a showcase for social enterprise provision of services

Edited by Donald Trumps

And to complete the set, here is part 2.

Moulton was better in parts 2 and 3 (maybe part 1 was giving them enough rope). Pugh[1] and North weren't particularly impressive even against the wonderfully self-interested Berry plan. Maybe they thought if you pointed out that it basically consisted of:

(a) take taxpayers' money;

(b) give it to your mates;

CoMin might have thought "Hey, that's what we do!" and gone ahead with it. They also failed to point out explicitly enough that the Berry proposals would mean moving from a situation where you had one public service broadcaster (a lot of the time) and two identical radio stations to one where you had three identical radio stations doing very little PSB.

I also found North and Pugh's "S4C" proposal unconvincing as it seemed to consist of "Everyone should give us a lot of money, not just the government", without much indication of the likelihood of the extra cash arriving. They also seemed unwilling to discuss[2] the possibility Manx Radio becoming the local BBC station paid from the licence fee. The obvious objection to this is that an organisation as short of cash as the BBC is hardly going to pay for something that is currently being done for free (to them). The fact that Pugh and North didn't say that suggests either that it is a possibility or maybe that they refuse to contemplate the loss of office that would ensue.

It was also revealing that North directed his complaint about government interference against some past incident where the Treasury had made some late demand for cash, wrecking their budget. Whether this was Treasury incompetence or Manx Radio failing to make provision they should have (my money's on both) is irrelevant. It ignores the real problem, which is the way that the annual subvention is set makes Manx Radio vulnerable to constant political interference.

I presume that the interview was recorded on Friday before the announcement that Myers was going to look into Manx Radio, and I thought it interesting that they seemed genuinely unaware that it would him doing it. Which rather suggests they are being kept out of the loop or just not very knowledgeable (I mean who else writes radio reports?).

[1] With regards to mobile mike's insinuations, I don't think that Pugh's body language means that he hates David North. I just think that Pugh is one of those people who thinks that time devoted to anyone else speaking is wasted. After all who is going to listen to them? He certainly won't.

[2] North did that Manx Establishment thing of turning on Moulton and demanding in effect "Who are you to say that?". I've always found it interesting how often on the Island an awkward question or reasoned criticism is met a demand that the questioner or critic prove that they are entitled to say what they said. Clearly it's not what is said that matters but who says it. It was particularly unedifying in this case as it also involved the sort of petty nationalism that Manx politicians can use to justify themselves - No True Manxman would ever allow Manx Radio to be run by the BBC - with the implication that if Moulton thought otherwise he was a traitor and should probably be run off the Island.

...or shot at Hango Hill?

Lets hope Mr Myers will recommend a complete reappraisal of the way MR is both managed & governed

As the 'national broadcaster' it needs to be brought much more into the community & could be very much a showcase for social enterprise provision of services

have you read his bio on wiki:-

In January 2009, he was asked by the Labour Government to undertake a review of commercial radio in the UK, which was published in April 2009.[9] In order to stop a high percentage of commercial radio stations losing money, Myers recommended that regulators could remove the imperative for local radio to be produced from within a geographic boundary; tailored news feeds alluding to a geographic area could be produced from one big building.[10] A number of his recommendations were taken up within the Digital Britain report and the Digital Economy Act. The changes lead to Smooth Radio merging its five England stations into one quasi-national station, with local news feeds produced from GMG Radio's headquarters in Salford Quays, and Global Radio halving the number of its Heart stations through co-local content.[11]

From MR: Views sought on broadcast licence "The Communications Commission is asking for the views of the Manx public on the single applicant for a broadcast licence currently up for grabs."

Surely this is the opportunity for the Manx public to write in and say that for all of the reasons stated in this thread regarding a saturated advertising market, impacting the sustainability of the national broadcaster Manx Radio etc. that such a licence should not be issued at all. And that such a licence should not have been issued in the first place, as clearly the Communications Commission do not seem to understand the market they are empowered to regulate.

www.gov.im/lib/docs/cc/notices/broadcastingactlicencenoticefor.pdf

• Like 1

Simply a personal observation from someone affected over the years by the constant indecision, but it seems to me that our government has spent more time and money on investigations, consultations, reports and select committees looking into Manx Radio over the years than almost anything else. And (at the risk of over-simplifying) I think every report has pretty much concluded that MR punches well above its weight given the funding and resources available to it.

I applauded Tynwald's decision a few years ago to end the uncertainty (it's difficult to do a first-class job if you don't know you'll still have it tomorrow) by providing a funding formula to confirm the station as National Broadcaster for the Isle of Man and take inflation into account in setting the annual subvention. When the VAT black hole opened, that agreement was an early casualty, yet instead of coming up with an alternative (withold part of the BBC remittance for example to compensate for the services the IOM DOESN'T get) the politicians are dithering and spending still more money on independent reports. John Myers MAY have a radical solution - but whether people like it (me included) will be a matter for even more debate.

The simple fact is that it probably costs upwards of £3m a year to run a proper public service national broadcaster. The general public apparently wants one, so surely the only question is how to fund it, or allow it to make that money commercially.

Issue of Broadcasting Licence for the Service Energy FM.

One of the three existing Broadcasting Licences granted under the Broadcasting Act 1993 as amended ("the Act") will expire in July 2013. The Communications Commission invited applications in respect of the frequencies between 91.2 MHz and 105.2 MHz. The Commission received one application, from the existing licence holder, Energy Communications Ltd, for the service Energy FM.

The character of service is stated as "a locally oriented contemporary and chart music radio station with entertainment, news and information (including sport) for the Isle of Man. The core target audience being aged between 15 and 35".

The non-confidential parts of the application are available to view on the Publications page of the Commission website

www.iomcc.im/publications.xml.

Under s.2(2A) of the Act, the Commission is required to have regard to certain matters when considering an application. These matters include:

1.  the ability of the applicant to maintain the proposed service;
  2.  the extent to which the proposed service would broaden the range of programmes available to persons living on the Island, in particular the extent to which the service would cater for tastes and interests different from those already catered for by the other two radio stations;
  3.  the extent to which the service would affect the ability of existing programme services to be maintained; and
  4.  the extent to which any reasonable demand for programme service is or is to be met by other means.

The Commission invites feedback on this application in relation to the above matters. Please submit on or before

Tuesday 4th June 2013 to: Ms Sue Strang, Legislation and Policy Manager, Communications Commission, 2nd Floor, St Andrews House, Finch Road, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 2PX. Email: sue.strang@iomcc.im.

Manx Radio should bid for it.

That'd put the cat among the pigeons.

Well according to the latest MTTV Manx Radio interview, they were considering buying Energy.

I am starting to think there are at least two clowns up at Manx Radio.

I've read his book. He lives and breathes radio, is at the top of his game and is a straight talker.

I welcome his expert take on this - whatever he decides (and I realise I could be talking myself out of a job).

And of course he is from England. Will the Island take any imput from the excellent Stations in Ireland and Scotland as well, or are they backwards savages as well, who like us without the 'Comeovers', would still be communicating by Carrier Kipper

(withold part of the BBC remittance for example to compensate for the services the IOM DOESN'T get)

What does this mean? Does the Manx government have to pay money to the BBC for the island to get it's broadcasts?