Manx Radio And The Interlopers

And another. Manx Radio is streets ahead of local radio in the UK. Its main downfall is the high number and dire quality of the Godawful commercials.

Well the presenters get them for free so what do you expect?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple fact - Google radio stations and you'll find millions you can listen to. You can find every kind of content you want, every kind of music - and two local stations are absolutely no different fr

Why don't energy and 3fm just pack up - they're both a load of shite anyway - and leave the advertising revenue for MR?

I'd be worried if I was Stu. RB and JT might want a piece of his coffee shop action and want to introduce their own coffee shops into his business.   The theoretical and tongue-in-cheek RBJT propos

Posted Images

And another. Manx Radio is streets ahead of local radio in the UK. Its main downfall is the high number and dire quality of the Godawful commercials.

For example?

For example?

Don't feed the troll.

Are Manx Radio commercials still made off the Island , as they used to be. If so then the Island is only partly to blame for the snotty-nosed and banal stuff coming out of the Station. During times like the TT they are a constant embarrassment to me and I am sure many others. If they are made on the Island then so much worse, in that we are to blame for them ourselves, in that we subsidise them, via the handouts of our money from Government

Are Manx Radio commercials still made off the Island , as they used to be. If so then the Island is only partly to blame for the snotty-nosed and banal stuff coming out of the Station. During times like the TT they are a constant embarrassment to me and I am sure many others. If they are made on the Island then so much worse, in that we are to blame for them ourselves, in that we subsidise them, via the handouts of our money from Government

No matter where they're made, the advertiser will be signing them off. If it's a not-very-good ad, then why do firms agree to them? Probably a lack of competition breeding dull advertising, whereas the UK market is saturated with ads desperate to stand out.

• Like 2

No matter where they're made, the advertiser will be signing them off. If it's a not-very-good ad, then why do firms agree to them? Probably a lack of competition breeding dull advertising, whereas the UK market is saturated with ads desperate to stand out.

Absolutely. I have rejected scripts and rewritten them myself. I have then rejected recordings made by S2Blue and had them remake them with different voices until they didn't sound so bad. Even then, we rotated around several ads so that we wouldn't bore the arse off everyone with the same content all the time.

• Like 1

I pay for my commercials - perhaps if you know different I can get someone fired? If you object to me getting texts from people asking how my new shop is doing, talk to them.

You lot are fools. You've got David North creaming a salary off Manx Radio and making himself look like a clown in an interview and you pick on Stu for making 50p on a cup of coffee.

Plus, the companies who buy the ads clearly sign them off. Maybe they know no better. In fact, I can guarantee they don't, because, as we all know, radio advertising for small brands simply doesn't work.

Pacesetter are probably the only ones who have created an ID for themselves with their ads, and that is through perseverence and countless thousands of pounds thrown at the idea. And their whole thing falls apart when you go listen to The Bay and hear the same jingle advertisiing something entirely different.

Still, I guess buying a generic jingle saved them some pennies. And when you save a little money, it means a lot these days.

Edited by parchedpeas
  • Like 1

Mr Peters, you may pay for commercials but not for the plugs you so kindly give your business

In the real world I'm guessing it would go like this.

First time verbal warning, followed by written one, then suspension if it continued.

The loons are running the asylum!

It's not your fault if Mr Pugh lets you keep plugging your coffee shop.

Mr Berry could do the same at 3FM to the best of my knowledge, has not.

What will this Mr Myres make it?

Mental Mike - I think I've mentioned my coffee shop twice in the last six months because it was relevant to what we were talking about (employment, planning consent, local economy, consumer trends) and only then in passing. I've also read out a couple of texts from people asking about it, but didn't use any of the opportunities to 'plug' the new business as much as I probably could have done. You clearly have a bee in your bonnet (tinfoil helmet?) about that, and have fantasised about an entire disciplinary process that you'd love to witness.

Tell you what, instead of snide comments here, why don't you write an official letter of complaint to Mr Pugh. Perhaps you can tell him how to do his job too? Or better still, get a life, you loser.

• Like 1

Mental Mike - I think I've mentioned my coffee shop twice in the last six months because it was relevant to what we were talking about (employment, planning consent, local economy, consumer trends) and only then in passing. I've also read out a couple of texts from people asking about it, but didn't use any of the opportunities to 'plug' the new business as much as I probably could have done. You clearly have a bee in your bonnet (tinfoil helmet?) about that, and have fantasised about an entire disciplinary process that you'd love to witness.

Tell you what, instead of snide comments here, why don't you write an official letter of complaint to Mr Pugh. Perhaps you can tell him how to do his job too? Or better still, get a life, you loser.

I don't listen to your show though as it sandwiches mandate I sometimes can't avoid it, In yesterdays 'show' in the space of a few minutes you plugged your shop twice which what led me to comment on the blatant free advertising.

Perhaps you don't realise you are doing it, but if you care to listen again you will hear yourself do what you say you don't.

Plus, the companies who buy the ads clearly sign them off. Maybe they know no better. In fact, I can guarantee they don't, because, as we all know, radio advertising for small brands simply doesn't work.

It can work for a while but whilst you may gain some additional turnover it is not effective to do it continuously year after year, particularly with the same ad as you are saying the same thing to the same audience all the time and it eventually becomes a turn off. Best to give it a rest and come back to it after a period with something new to say.