Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
woolley

Manx Radio And The Interlopers

Lol - like the "Allan Bell - greatest threat to the IOM story" which appeared on IOM Newspapers. I suppose, especially as nobody has mentioned it yet, that a better hatchet job would have been to use the piccy in a story about excessive drinking and bus soiling!<br /><br />You could also use visual imagry in an amusing way for all future law changes<br /><br />Bell - Planning reform<br />Gawne - Fire regulations<br />Karran - Vagrancy<br />Cregeen - Regulations specifying the length of 2 short planks<br /><br />

I think you do but for your benefit, the headline says 'Longer Sentences for Sex Offenders' then shows a picture of your mate Juan Watterson.

No, still not seeing a problem

Perhaps my mind works completely differently to everyone else, but I tend to join the headline and the photo immediately before I read any further, after all its Manx Radio so the story is likely to be of no real interest.

So for me it immediately implied that the subject in the photo was the subject of the story.

Not to me or to most people I suspect. It might have worked if it was 'Longer Sentence for Sex Offender' but unless you're suggesting that there are hordes of identical Juan Wattersons out there...

So lets just recap.

Manx Radio trumpet the winning of a prestigious national award from the industries leading body - turns out they are a paying patron and they got the award by default.

And this after Manx Radio trumpet the positive feedback from 'independent market research' conducted by a wholly independent company, who just so happen to be owned and staffed by their commercial partners (Home Strategic).

Not looking good is it.

That article does tend to suggest Manx Radio won an award for which it was the only entry. Perhaps they shouldn't have shouted about it so much.

On the other hand, if Isle of Man Newspapers applied the same level of criticial assessment and investigation (ie making one fucking phone call) to other government proclamations perhaps the Island would be in better shape.

• Like 2

I know Stu thinks this is pedantry, but I object to the jingle "Radio Academy Regional Station of the Year in the North West." North West of where? Do they mean it's popular in Jurby? Isn't this supposed to be the Nation Station? I had a similar problem when the Examiner got an "award" and had a masthead saying they were the best something or other in the UK.

Strange thing about that IOMToday article though. It seems that IOM Newspapers has discovered investigative journalism when it's adversary Manx Radio is on the receiving end. They never seem to do it in any other circumstances, but they seem to have asked some searching questions on this one. Wonder why.

Go figure.

I know what you mean Woolley, but the alternative would be to never enter these things, which would be a shame (however many entered it). If MR is nominated for the national award it might be more meaningful, but it's a UK competition so there'll always be comments about 'which nation'.

What's happening with the Myers Report?

Will it ever be published?

Still very quiet on Myers. Did he come to the wrong conclusion?

were you expecting publication on Christmas Eve?

Edited by censorship

They've published the Mire's report.

It said the NI pension pot is running out, the public sector pension liability is aproaching £1.5 Billion and we're getting a third less VAT income but still spending like it actually doubled.

Hmmm...gravy.

• Like 1

They might even have done so and I missed it. Doubt it though. Someone here would have commented.

were you expecting publication on Christmas Eve?

Not specifically. But being a quiet morning in the office, this is the first chance I had to search back to see if there was anything on it, and found there wasn't.