• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cliff Hazard, Segways and cliff hazard:   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315518/Segway-tycoon-Jimi-Heselden-dies-cliff-plunge-scooters.html

A bit of cheek calling a razz round a plantation a 'forest safari', for the more adventurous perhaps a tour round willaston?

Shouldnt be allowed anywhere near plantations they are a place of nature not somewhere to have the tracks ploughed up by these things.

Dont mind if they go on the prom or any roadways.

As another poster says doubt they will be permitted to use any plantation but would be fun on private land.

Shouldnt be allowed anywhere near plantations they are a place of nature not somewhere to have the tracks ploughed up by these things.

"Plantations" are not natural, all the trees in them have been planted by people, with a view to eventually harvesting them for wood - they're not a balanced natural ecosystem like ancient woodland, they're largely just row upon row of single-species trees, and the dark spaces underneath them is largely just pine needles; not a great "place of nature" in comparison, unless you're comparing it with M&S car park.

Many of the tracks in plantations are designed for access by forestry vehicles, so I don't think an off-road Segway is going to "plough them up" if the whole operation is as well-managed as it looks. Plantations shouldn't just be full of shitting dogs, I think it's rather a good idea meself.

Dont mind if they go on the prom or any roadways.

As another poster says doubt they will be permitted to use any plantation but would be fun on private land.

Surely there must be some sunshine in your life....you are also Thomas Jefferson and I claim my £5

Good luck to them, i think the plantations would be better than dodging dog sh*te on the prom.

But i guess there are plenty of sites over here once they have been going for a bit, i am sure it can be expanded.

Beats walking lol.

I wish them all the best and admire their risk taking, although I have to say if I was a dragon I'd already be out by now, especially kicking things off at the start of winter.

Perhaps though they could get a contract from Douglas Corpy if they mount pooper scoopers and/or chewing gum scrapers on the front?

• 4 weeks later...

Can somebody clarify how much for an hour on a seg in one of the plantations, I heard it was 30 quid a pop, is that right.

http://www.segway.im/tours.html

£30 - Off road Segway Safari's *

A more exciting trip, taking place inside some of the Island's forests for approximately 50-60 mins with coffee / tea and cake to warm you up after your adventure

From last week's Examiner

Further restrictions and conditions apply on the use of Segways including

that no person may use a Segway on the Promenade except on the

walkway or at a speed exceeding 6mph and the operator must own the

vehicle and have been licensed by the Department to use it or to cause

or permit it to be used on the walkway.

Director of Highways

www.gov.im/infrastructure

Public Notice

PROMENADE, DOUGLAS (TEMPORARY

REGULATION OF TRAFFIC) (SEGWAYS)

NOTICE 2012

Ref: RCO5043

The Department of Infrastructure makes this notice under sections 3 and

24 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985 the effect of which being that

Segways are temporarily restricted on the Promenade, Douglas, to

prevent obstruction of the road in connection with a continuing public

trial of those vehicles, to reduce the likelihood of danger to the public,

and to facilitate the passage of vehicular traffic on it from

22 November

up to and including 22 May 2013.

It says the operator must be licensed and I believe these guys from Segway tours are approved, however I don't get the bit about owning the vehicle. Does operator mean the company or the individual driver (operator) of the vehicle?

I think this order has just been put in place to restrict them to the walkway.