10 Bendy Buses On Way To Isle Of Man

rugger

I would not fancy overtaking a bendy bus,I will need more BHP.

I thought that there was talk of allowing an increased speed limit for buses - so you won't need to overtake them - indeed you may need to let them past.

If you are driving for four hours 'non stop' on the Isle of Man, where are you going? Surely the longest journey is half an hour and a toilet break can be taken then.

Well the 5C is timetabled at 90-odd minutes, so a leettle over 'half an hour'. You do realise that buses move quite slowly and tend to stop a lot? Though given that the current management appears to think it a good idea to drive them as fast as possible, maybe you are Mr Longworth and I claim my £3 million and as many slightly used buses as I would like.

Of course there may not even be any facilities for a 'comfort break' for drivers (or indeed passengers) when you get to the destination, so maybe you should look at return timings. In reality they probably pop into the nearest public toilets / pub / cafe as and when, but I suspect that the drivers are technically not allowed to leave their buses unattended - certainly not when there are passengers on board.

Yet the IMR could run trains from Ramsey to Douglas in the 60's in an hour. Public transport on the Island would have been a lot better had they retained the West Coast Lines, especially in TT week.....

Buses are innappropriate on the Island's roads, it's time to contemplate a long term significant change in transport policy.....

If you are driving for four hours 'non stop' on the Isle of Man, where are you going? Surely the longest journey is half an hour and a toilet break can be taken then.

Well the 5C is timetabled at 90-odd minutes, so a leettle over 'half an hour'. You do realise that buses move quite slowly and tend to stop a lot? Though given that the current management appears to think it a good idea to drive them as fast as possible, maybe you are Mr Longworth and I claim my £3 million and as many slightly used buses as I would like.

Of course there may not even be any facilities for a 'comfort break' for drivers (or indeed passengers) when you get to the destination, so maybe you should look at return timings. In reality they probably pop into the nearest public toilets / pub / cafe as and when, but I suspect that the drivers are technically not allowed to leave their buses unattended - certainly not when there are passengers on board.

Yet the IMR could run trains from Ramsey to Douglas in the 60's in an hour. Public transport on the Island would have been a lot better had they retained the West Coast Lines, especially in TT week.....

Buses are innappropriate on the Island's roads, it's time to contemplate a long term significant change in transport policy.....

At the cost of tens of millions more to reinstate lines and buy rolling stock and build stations etc. You are insane? Actually with that sort of train of logic have you ever thought of a top job in government?

Prune it from the unnessarily large road budget. You don't need new stock to run a service like that, the IMR proved it could be done with what it had. Anyway a start would be cutting the bus routes which run parralel to the railways.

Funny isn't it when people talk about spending obscene amounts of money on the roads to little effect hardly anyone bats an eyelid. Mention spending it on public transport and everyone is screaming outrage at it. Regardless of what in the long run offers the best value for money.

Look forward to seeing what happens when oil runs out and the Island is ill prepared to meet it.... never mind battery electric bikes, or whatever the roads will be falling apart because you haven't got the tarmaccadam to maintain them with.....

Look forward to seeing what happens when oil runs out and the Island is ill prepared to meet it.... never mind battery electric bikes, or whatever the roads will be falling apart because you haven't got the tarmaccadam to maintain them with.....

Dont worry about oil running out, or not being able to manufacture tarmac, it wont happen, see this....

http://rense.com/general63/refil.htm

Not well known about at the moment but it does make a V8 car seem like the right choice to overtake these buses hammering along at 50mph....tongue.png

Our resident MR journo should at least be pleased about this.......

Prune it from the unnessarily large road budget. You don't need new stock to run a service like that, the IMR proved it could be done with what it had. Anyway a start would be cutting the bus routes which run parralel to the railways.

Yes, let's cut the bus services, although in fairness they can actually go to the places people live, and be used to provide other services, rather than just a fixed track from 120 years ago. Still, at least the people of Cornaa and Dhoon Glenn will be able to get to and from Douglas at 25 miles an hour.

Funny isn't it when people talk about spending obscene amounts of money on the roads to little effect hardly anyone bats an eyelid. Mention spending it on public transport and everyone is screaming outrage at it. Regardless of what in the long run offers the best value for money.

Drama queen. Mention spending it on some bonkers scheme to resurrect a steam railway from the 19th century and people and people will rightfully deride it, but they are hardly "screaming outrage." "Investing" in the old steam and electric railways will not offer best value for money in the long term.

You are from the distant past and I claim my £5.

You're a complete loon - oil is not going to run out anytime soon and as Triskelion has pointed out buses can travel to rural communities and service small villages etc where trams and trains can't as you cant build tracks all over the place so you're basically talking through your ecologically sensitive arse.

Edited by oldmanxfella

You're a complete loon - oil is not going to run out anytime soon and as Triskelion has pointed out buses can travel to rural communities and service small villages etc where trams and trains can't as you cant build tracks all over the place so you're basically talking through your ecologically sensitive arse.

I dont think he is being environmentally sensitive OMF, he has posted a lot before about our hobby train set, he is a train buff.

Nothing wrong with that in itself, just we dont need it ramming down our throats, especially when it is disguised as environmental sensitivity when that is not the real reason for old trains being promoted.

I saw an odd unbendy, posh new double decker going into the bus station this evening, all painted up with Environ 400 or something like that.

Yep over on trial to see if we want some. We had a longer Volvo over too. You missed that one? And we are getting something else also. Maybe a scania. We have to get 3 tests before deciding what we are getting.

Edited by Vorta

I was behind a new Mercedes bus the other day and there were two large dents in the back of it and a scratch along the side.

I hope they look after the next consignment better.

No they won't. The bendy's will be worse cos once just start your turn the outside of the bus cannot be seen in the mirror only the inboard side can be seen and that corner is moving away from the side of the road, the outboard side will sweep over the centre line of the road turning left and over the pavement turning right.