10 Bendy Buses On Way To Isle Of Man

everyone seems concerned with the length of these articulated buses, but do you know how heavy they are? 20 tonne unladen and 28 fully laden. one of these coming down the Richmond on a frosty day will be all over the place.

If anything, new vehicles will have far better braking systems with ABS that even a monkey could drive down Richmond hill in bad weather without crashing. The fully laden weight you quote is less than a big HGV and they get down OK.

I am not in favor of bendy buses despite my recent posts, I just cant stand some of the "Man In Pub Bollocks" that is posted on here, which seems to be aimed at trying to stop their introduction, it wont, the island does not work that way.

If we are getting bendys, it will have been decided already, nothing we can say or make up, will do anything to change that.

That is the shame of our so called 'democratic governmen't. The hurt of this current financial situation is ONLYshared by the man in the street. NOT by those elected to look after our well being and this is just a prime example.

Hey gang, what about those who REALLY need help?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bell was away for this Keys meeting, which was probably what meant this question got discussed at all. Without his guiding hand (and Teare seems to have gone walkies) only the usual suspects (Watters

I'm starting to not get bothered about this. Yes its stupid, its irrational, it makes no sense whatsoever and its going to be blatantly obvious very soon on that they are totally unsuited to our roads

Posted Images

everyone seems concerned with the length of these articulated buses, but do you know how heavy they are? 20 tonne unladen and 28 fully laden. one of these coming down the Richmond on a frosty day will be all over the place.

If anything, new vehicles will have far better braking systems with ABS that even a monkey could drive down Richmond hill in bad weather without crashing. The fully laden weight you quote is less than a big HGV and they get down OK.

I am not in favor of bendy buses despite my recent posts, I just cant stand some of the "Man In Pub Bollocks" that is posted on here, which seems to be aimed at trying to stop their introduction, it wont, the island does not work that way.

If we are getting bendys, it will have been decided already, nothing we can say or make up, will do anything to change that.

But they won't be new, they will be 7-10 years old based on the prices the clowns are quoting. Which is the same age as the Double Deckers they are replacing. And that isn't "Man In Pub Bollocks", that is based on the "Men in Government Bollocks". Not a pop at you BR just a fact based on the shite that GCCL are quoting to the media.

Edited by Will Halsall

Had a day trip to Liverpool yesterday, courtesy of the NHS, and saw a couple of bendy busses in operation. On the way to the airport in rush hour on a major road out of the city a bendy bus trying to make a right turn managed to block all four roads of the junction for a few minutes.We dont have suitable roads for them in my opinion.

• Like 2

Does anyone on here know the maximum capacity for buses on the IOM? Or does it simply depend on what type of licence the driver holds?

I'm convinced that there is a maximum limit on how many passengers are allowed to travel either standing or sitting - if so the bendy buses would be useless!

Had a day trip to Liverpool yesterday, courtesy of the NHS, and saw a couple of bendy busses in operation. On the way to the airport in rush hour on a major road out of the city a bendy bus trying to make a right turn managed to block all four roads of the junction for a few minutes.We dont have suitable roads for them in my opinion.

FFS Bendy buses do not need wider roads, more room or bigger turning areas.

Bendy buses do not cause "all four roads to be blocked", it's stupid fucking drivers that cause any problem. I have travelled on these bendy buses many times and as a driver myself see fuck all wrong with them, either in size, design or operation.

Most of the drivers here will have no problem with them. Pretty sure Henry Ford faced similar opposition back in the day. I just wish people would think about what they type, when they oppose things they know fuck all about.

Sorry for the swearing, but knobends piss me off !

What an offensive post, no wonder the numbers of posters appears to be declining.

I simply stated what I had witnessed and expressed an opinion and in 294 posts I have never found need to swear but from your name you could be welsh which would explain a lot

What an offensive post, no wonder the numbers of posters appears to be declining.

I simply stated what I had witnessed and expressed an opinion and in 294 posts I have never found need to swear but from your name you could be welsh which would explain a lot

Why are you offended? I am just pointing out that you are talking rubbish. The driver of the bus you were on caused the problem, not the bus.

When some idiot blocks of the QB through stupidity, do you blame the car they are driving or the driver.

BTW Dilligaf is NOT a Welsh name laugh.pnglaugh.png

On a straight road, they look to be reasonably good value, particularly at certain times of the day, but that said, corners, parked vehicles /obstructions /tight angles etc, would likely be a nightmare and I don't envy the drivers in this task.

There's plenty of scare stories, various facts and figures about and one could wonder if the person who decided to purchase the vehicles regardless of the right reasons initially, has been forced into a corner and like a bendy bus, can't manouever backwards.

The answer probably lies with the drivers themselves and considering their knowlege of the routes, pitfalls, angles etc, they would know if the buses are acceptable to the different and various routes on the island. On this occasion, I'd say let them have a free say on whether they consider the vehicles are worthy of the money spent on them or not and then decisions can be made from those with some experience of what's involved and not some person behind a desk with little thought given to the stops along the way.

Dress it up however you like but someone has decided we need bendy buses because:

1. They are cheap

2. Nobody else wants them

3. Operators and leasing companies are sat on hundreds of them they cant sell

4. Passengers and town councils alike hate them

5. There are all sorts of deals being offered to shift stock because of situations 1, 2, 3 & 4