Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Pierrot Lunaire

Wiggins Injured In Crash

As described here. Well, I wouldn't wish this on the lad, but to raise awareness of the vulnerability of cyclists on our roads, there probably wasn't a 'better' victim. Hope he recovers ok.

• Like 1

My friend was knocked from her bike by a car in London this week, great shame. Her bike is a write off and the driver was not insured luckily she was uninjured but she is devastated over the loss of her bike :( Much as I hate cyclists on the road I do try my best to avoid them, I could have had 3 traffic wardens today.....but I let them live, too kind by far.

• Like 1

In the late 70s I had the unfortunate experience of seeing my then girlfriend fall off her bike and end up wrapped around the front wheel of the car that was following. This was on a busy A road outside town. Luckily, the car driver was waiting for a break in the traffic coming the other way so that he could overtake us safely. According to the police/medics, it was because of his waiting that Sarah survived.

Even now, some 30 odd years later, I still remember that awful sight whenever I'm driving and come across a cyclist and always make sure I give them room when overtaking.

Edited by kevster

My friend was knocked from her bike by a car in London this week, great shame. Her bike is a write off and the driver was not insured luckily she was uninjured but she is devastated over the loss of her bike sad.png Much as I hate cyclists on the road I do try my best to avoid them, I could have had 3 traffic wardens today.....but I let them live, too kind by far.

Serious question, why did she not have any insurance of her own ?. I saw an ad the other week for cycle cover.

They still ride in two's on narrow roads, if they want half the road they should pay road tax like the rest of us.

You don't pay road tax.

They still ride in two's on narrow roads, if they want half the road they should pay road tax like the rest of us.

You don't pay road tax.

Not defending cyclists, but all the ones I know own cars and pay their Road Fund License too.

Not defending cyclists, but all the ones I know own cars and pay their Road Fund License too.

I doubt it, it was abolished in 1936. I do pay for a vehicle license though.

Each side needs to help and respectful of each other.

This evening I was travelling on the St Marks back road and saw a cyclist with a bright helmet light and bike kight travelling towards me. Looking in the miior I could barely see him. Tiny red light and dressed in dark clothing.

I do no want to hit cyclists but give us a better chance of seeing you. Bright rear lights and reflective tops when riding on roads without bright street lights. The same goes for pedestians. It can be pretty hair raising when driving along a country road in the dark, with your vision partly obscurred by a car coming the other way with headlights on to suddenly come across a cyclists or pedestrian dressed in dark clothing and little if any lighting.

Each side needs to help and respectful of each other.

You shouldn't be thinking in terms of sides. I don't change allegiance when I get out of my car and onto my bike. We're talking about people, respect all users of the roads.

However it is styled I have just paid nearly £140 for the priviledge of driving my car on our excellent, pot hole free roads which is £140 more than these chatting cyclists have paid. What does really concern me are the number of kids cycling around without lights.

However it is styled I have just paid nearly £140 for the priviledge of driving my car on our excellent, pot hole free roads which is £140 more than these chatting cyclists have paid. What does really concern me are the number of kids cycling around without lights.

I wouldn't worry about kids, they all ride on the pavement footpaths anyway :lol:

I live about 3 miles away from where Bradley Wiggins was knocked off his bike, our street is quite busy with traffic, mainly cars, not a very well lit area either, but parents still will not protect their little darlings, kids as young as 4 are out on their bikes in the hours of darkness, riding in the road, with no lights, or protective headgear or high visability clothing. This is an accident waiting to happen.

I heard on Manx Radio the other morning that Mark Cavendish was scheduled to go on Graham Norton Show but it wasn't broadcast. Any news on this? I believe Bradley Wiggins was supposed to be a guest until this incident.