New 'manx' Numberplates - Clever Idea Or Desperate Measure?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps taxing people who could afford these at a realistic rate would be a better & more lucrative idea, rather than hoping one or two of them will splash out on a fancy number plate.

One for Cretiny: MANX G1T

MANX 10U

“MANX” cherished numbers and on-line service introduced

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/highways/manxcherishednum.xml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Department of Infrastructure is pleased to announce the issue of a new series of cherished registration marks with the prefix or suffix “Manx” e.g. MANX-(1-999) and (1-999)-MANX from Monday 3rd December 2012. In time, the new range could raise income of over £12 million for the Department which will be used for highway maintenance work.

The fees for the new “MANX” registration marks start at £5,000 and have been set at levels equivalent to the high prices presently being obtained on the open market for the current range of registration marks containing the word "MAN" or the letters “MN”. The underlying principle of the fees being that —

• the fewer the number of digits following or preceding the word "MANX" the higher the value of the marks, and
  • marks with digits of a special connotation are of a higher value than those without.

Er...5k? For any of them? Bit steep, maybe?

The fees for the new “MANX” registration marks start at £5,000 and have been set at levels equivalent to the high prices presently being obtained on the open market for the current range of registration marks containing the word "MAN" or the letters “MN”.

Which IMO reinforces my point that the government, on behalf of taxpayers, should be taking a percentage of the second hand 'open market' number plate sales (they obviously know what they are going for on the 'open market' - if they didn't they would not be able to make the statement)

£5000 x 2000 = £10.000.000. Or are they to charge more for fewer numbers?

If not the numbers don't work. Who did the maths?

I can see MANX-77 going for a bit but who wants MANX 4892?

Pie in the sky school of economics, again.

Edited by Patrick

£5000 x 2000 = £10.000.000. Or are they to charge more for fewer numbers?

If not the numbers don't work. Who did the maths?

I can see MANX-77 going for a bit but who wants MANX 4892?

Pie in the sky school of economics, again.

£5000 is the lowest price. So they expect 1,998 stupid buggers to squander at least £5000 each.

Like all niche personalisation markets, from domains to telephone numbers, I can see why IoMGov wanted to explore this avenue, but they've really gone completely the wrong way about it. They've clearly looked at the Murrays auction for MN-1 and other sales in 2009 when the market was probably at its peak with speculative investors (and just vain, rich people), and jacked the price up on all cherished plates with a banding system, which failed to take into account the finer aspects of the market, and started reserving plates with one or two digits from new registrations in a hope to keep some of the value of these plates with the government.

No doubt the "1-MAN" sale last month prompted them to try again with cherished number plates, but what they may have missed is the number of plates that didn't sell, even with a reserve at a quarter of the equivalent government banding, many ending up on http://numberplates.im

Unfortunately the government have priced many people out of the market with the 2009 banding system, and these new plates will just devalue existing ones. What they should have considered doing, and what would have worked far better as a revenue stream, is to auction previously issued numbers as well as these new "MANX" marks, as the DVLA in the UK have been doing for decades - http://dvlaregistrat...gov.uk/auction/, meaning the government could make more sales at a realistic price whilst reaping the profits of the market.

They're hoping to raise £12m ?! I reckon "MANX-1" and "1-MANX" might sell - and might subsequently fetch even more at an auction in a few years, but the rest are so poorly priced that no one will be interested, and will keep trading on the shorter "MN" and "MAN" marks.

Perhaps taxing people who could afford these at a realistic rate would be a better & more lucrative idea, rather than hoping one or two of them will splash out on a fancy number plate.

also a fantastic idea that would bring more money in from the open market.

Edited by Craine

In addition to all this silliness, if you want a Triskell on your plate promotiong Isle of Man you cant go above three numbers, unless they change the law.

in the case of a registration mark which includes the registation mark

device, the maximum number of characters shall be seven if the font of

characters comprises characters greater than 36mm width, but six if the

font of characters comprises characters greater than 44mm width;

I am sure I have seen on here or somewhere similar a car with MANX 1 registration in USA. Are numbers meant to be unique world wide, although Manchester airport vehicles are all MAN plates, but not for public roads.

I am sure I have seen on here or somewhere similar a car with MANX 1 registration in USA. Are numbers meant to be unique world wide, although Manchester airport vehicles are all MAN plates, but not for public roads.

As far as I'm aware the only restriction is that they should not conflict with the UK system (which is why you cannot have a "MN" or "MAN" plate registered in the UK, or a "J" plate as these are used in Jersey).Since 2010 the TT course cars have had "IOMTT" resgistrations as a prefix but this also wouldn't conflict with the DVLA system. I'm not sure if DoI consult with DVLA before issuing these sorts of numbers as presumably the UK would like the manx plates to work on their ANPR system, and conflicts or duplicates would cause problems.

As far as I'm aware you can register whatever you want in the USA from state to state. In California you can even have symbols such as ♥, star, + etc, so maybe we could introduce the triskelion as a symbol? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Craine

The MN prefix has already been allocated to us, as in MN11MAN, same as present English registration plates.

For uase when we go to that system sometme in the future. does this mean recycling numbers is about to stop?