Ludicrous Rebranding Of Auldyn School

And the road signs needlessly translated into Manx. I completely agree with things like the town names on buses, naming of schools, new roads, or organisations. But translating road names (that have always been in english) to manx seems silly. They are often very dreary english names anyway around most housing estates. Although I suppose it makes the language more visible.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Schoill yn Ponderosa

It's just a name, jeez. You must have fuck all to worry about if that bothers you.

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two; Bunscoill (primary) and Rhumsaa (Ramsey). Of course it makes se

And the road signs needlessly translated into Manx. I completely agree with things like the town names on buses, naming of schools, new streets, or organisations. But translated road names (that have always been in english) to manx seems silly.

Yes I agree

You must have even less if you respond to it.

Just seems like such a petty knee-jerk winge. The two schools have merged, the new school they've formed needs a new name. That's not Parochial, it's important, kids care about the school they go to, it's identity matters.Let them have their fun without bleating about some unknown cost, we're not completely skint.

• Like 1

Waste of time. Waste of money. Parochial shite.

It's just a name, jeez. You must have fuck all to worry about if that bothers you.

Scathing, even for you Slim.

If it's 'just a name', why should it matter to the kids going there?

Anyway, you're all wrong, it is to be called, ''Scoill Allan Bell'' and the motto is to be ''Scrutiny first''.

Presumably only unpronounceable if you don't speak Manx.

How many people do speak Manx?

1823 according to the 2011 census, although many more would have the knowledge to pronounce a few basic words.

There is an irony in that the dept. of education did nothing to further people of my generations knowledge of the Manx, although even non speakers will know a few words from common place names - the ones that haven't been Anglosized like the road names that are needlessly translated into English.

So 1823 speak Manx? Or is it that a lot of them can pronounce a few basic words? Or were some of them just taking the mickey? Wasn't it the census that produced a number of Jedi speakers?

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two; Bunscoill (primary) and Rhumsaa (Ramsey). Of course it makes sense to rename the schools if they are to be combined as a single entity, but Bunscoill Rhumsaa is a bit plain.

Many road names had English translations added underneath them in the 60s and 70s at the instigation of supporters of the Manx language as they thought incomers might like to know what the names meant. They, probably mistakenly, assumed that learning the meanings would somehow encourage the more curious to find out how they were pronounced.

• Like 2

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two.

Not quite losing them I gather, they're keeping the names for each of the buildings.