Ludicrous Rebranding Of Auldyn School

Isn't this all another cost-saving masterstroke from the Department of Education to 'save' the cost of a headteacher by amalgamating two schools (even though they are on different sites)? Of course the site without the Head will now require to be run by a Deputy Head and ever-growing bureaucracy will then require a Deputy Head at the other site as well, so even this 'saving' will be minimal to negative, before you start factoring in all the other costs of the 're-branding'.

Still it will look as if they are doing something, which is the important thing. And it will give the opportunity to claim that the two parts will have to be united on one site in an entirely new built school that will only cost three times what it would if it were built in Britain.

Given that there is still a school called "Ramsey Grammar School" 66 years after it became comprehensive, you'd have though changing the names of things wasn't the highest priority on the DEC's list.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Schoill yn Ponderosa

It's just a name, jeez. You must have fuck all to worry about if that bothers you.

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two; Bunscoill (primary) and Rhumsaa (Ramsey). Of course it makes se

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two; Bunscoill (primary) and Rhumsaa (Ramsey). Of course it makes sense to rename the schools if they are to be combined as a single entity, but Bunscoill Rhumsaa is a bit plain.

Bunscoill Rhumsaa. That's it. That's the supposedly unpronouncable new name? People will complain about anything.

Though, I agree, the new name is uninteresting. I like names like Scoill Ree Gorree and Scoill Vallajeelt. I prefer to see stuff like that than dull English names.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Shame to be losing four 'unpronounceable' Manx words; Auldyn (mountain stream) Scoill (school) Ree (King) and Gorree (Godred) for two; Bunscoill (primary) and Rhumsaa (Ramsey). Of course it makes sense to rename the schools if they are to be combined as a single entity, but Bunscoill Rhumsaa is a bit plain.

Bunscoill Rhumsaa. That's it. That's the supposedly unpronouncable new name? People will complain about anything.

Though, I agree, the new name is uninteresting. I like names like Scoill Ree Gorree and Scoill Vallajeelt. I prefer to see stuff like that than dull English names.

Can you describe how you pronounce Bunscoill Rhumsaa, like a dictionary would do?

For example Auldyn - Pronounced "All - Dun" (I may have that wrong but it was just an example to show what I meant).

As a non Manx speaker I would like to pronounce Manx names correctly but the often repeated letters in the Manx words, throw me.

Port Lewaguie for example, should be pronounced with the Lewaguie bit having only one syllable ie. "Port-Laig" not "Port - Lew-Aig" (I think!)

Bun skol rum saa Is close enough. But really scoill should be pronounced like this: http://www.learnmanx...ction_8703.html

Here is how you would pronounce the 'l' in scoill: a palatalized consonant is one pronounced with a palatal secondary articulation. This means that the consonant is pronounced as if followed very closely by the sound [j] (a palatal approximant, like the sound of "y" in "yellow"). For example, in the Polish word kiedy ("when"), the letters ki represent a palatalized [k], indicated in IPA notation as [kʲ], with a superscript "j". This sound is similar to the combination of "k" and "y" in English "thank you"

So just try and think of where your tongue is and what it does when you say 'y' in yellow, yacht, or you, etc. (you'll notice the middle of your tongue rises up to your soft palate) and then when you say 'll' in scoill start by saying a normal 'l' but halfway start to motion your tongue as if to pronounce a 'y'. Or, as mentioned above, when you say 'thank you' think of what your tongue is doing when you get to thank you. The k is followed by what seems almost like a very short 'y'. But you are not really fully saying the 'y'. Try this with 'l'.

And if you can do that then you have learned how to palatilise consonants - and they occur in many languages. Then try with 'Ellan' (Island) as in Ellan Vannin and keeill (church) and glion (glen) and foillan (Raad ny foillan)( it isn't really folyun), which is where you should do the same.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 1

Port Lewaguie for example, should be pronounced with the Lewaguie bit having only one syllable ie. "Port-Laig" not "Port - Lew-Aig" (I think!)

Yes, one syllable. The middle bit rhymes 'aye' (as in play) or 'air' (as in lair). Never loo-egg. Whereas kewaigue is definitely kyoo-egg. Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 1

I didn't realise that. I thought Ponderosa was some old name for the area. I didn't realise it came from show Bonanza. Is that a nickname for the area then or was the area named that by government?

Ponderosa was a name given to the old lezayre estate that was built very quickly to rehouse old ramsey residents, but if you are a true local you will know that it is referred to as "the pondy"

The school name is quite important to the kids who are at the school. It would have been quite simple to have just declared what the name was going to be but the DEC invited the pupils and families to offer suggestions for names. These were discussed and Bunscoill Rhumsaa was the most popular one suggested, mostly for its simplicity. There was a strong feeling in Ramsey NOT to lose the strands of history behind the names Auldyn and Scoill Ree Gorree and the retention of these names for the buildings is a nod to this feeling. At the end of this year, Auldyn & Scoill Ree Gorree will be two legal entities that will cease existence in favour for the new one. Either way, the legal side of things had to change so the name is only a small part of that.

For the post about split sites and head vs deputy head, anyone who knows the schools will know they are situated on the same site, share a car park and are merely separated by a driveway. There is currently one head in charge of the two and from what I have seen so far this term (I have kids at the schools) she is coping very well with managing both and is very hands on in both. It must take her all of 1 minute to walk between the two entrances! All in all, I can only see benefits of bringing the two together. The kids are more than happy and the teaching is great. The name helps create identity and by involving the community in renaming, we feel we have been asked. lets face it, the govt is not doing much of that these days.

The school name is quite important to the kids who are at the school. It would have been quite simple to have just declared what the name was going to be but the DEC invited the pupils and families to offer suggestions for names. These were discussed and Bunscoill Rhumsaa was the most popular one suggested, mostly for its simplicity. There was a strong feeling in Ramsey NOT to lose the strands of history behind the names Auldyn and Scoill Ree Gorree and the retention of these names for the buildings is a nod to this feeling. At the end of this year, Auldyn & Scoill Ree Gorree will be two legal entities that will cease existence in favour for the new one. Either way, the legal side of things had to change so the name is only a small part of that.

For the post about split sites and head vs deputy head, anyone who knows the schools will know they are situated on the same site, share a car park and are merely separated by a driveway. There is currently one head in charge of the two and from what I have seen so far this term (I have kids at the schools) she is coping very well with managing both and is very hands on in both. It must take her all of 1 minute to walk between the two entrances! All in all, I can only see benefits of bringing the two together. The kids are more than happy and the teaching is great. The name helps create identity and by involving the community in renaming, we feel we have been asked. lets face it, the govt is not doing much of that these days.

Well that's that then. Ta :)