Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Thunderstruck

Ramsey Christmas Tree 2012

Anyone in Ramsey got a phone with camera on it so we can see it then?

Would you like a picture prior to the lights being switched on or one on Saturday after the event has taken place dude?

How many ratepayers does Douglas have (must be around 3-4 times that of Ramsey, not to mention it's the island's capital) or maybe there are more businesses that put in towards the cost of the tree - is there only the 1 in Douglas?

I think Ramsey will have 3 this year, 1 in the area of the courthouse grounds, 1 on Parliament Square and 1 inside the town hall.

It's not about how many ie: 3

A few years ago the tree used to be as big as the street lights & had the wow factor!

The Island has numerous plantations with thousands of these trees - why do we always have to come up against the simple mind of rate payers and money when sulby forestry board used to supply a decent size tree which if I remember was free off charge.

Ramsey rate payers have blown hundreds of thousands over the past couple of years, get a grip on reality fella.

Constructive criticism / people in the town are laughing at them! bloody disgrace.........

A few years ago the tree used to be as big as the street lights & had the wow factor!

The Island has numerous plantations with thousands of these trees - why do we always have to come up against the simple mind of rate payers and money when sulby forestry board used to supply a decent size tree which if I remember was free off charge.

Indeed it did. I wasn't aware that the tree was ever free of charge. Britannia and Rotary have contributed towards it for a good few years iirc - how many years ago are you talking about when it was free?

Ramsey rate payers have blown hundreds of thousands over the past couple of years, get a grip on reality fella.

Have we, on what exactly?

Constructive criticism / people in the town are laughing at them! bloody disgrace.........

I've not heard any criticism yet (apart from on here). Have any of these people been in touch with the RTC to tell them they could have a free tree from Sulby (have they checked this is still the case)?

Indeed it did. I wasn't aware that the tree was ever free of charge. Britannia and Rotary have contributed towards it for a good few years iirc - how many years ago are you talking about when it was free?

>Ramsey rate payers have blown hundreds of thousands over the past couple of years, get a grip on reality fella.

Have we, on what exactly?

I will highlight one every day for you like an advent calendar shall I, here is two to get yah started - SHOPRITE CAR PARK SUB-BASE IN FILL, RAMSEY STREET LIGHTS LEFT ON DURING THE DAY

I've not heard any criticism yet (apart from on here). Have any of these people been in touch with the RTC to tell them they could have a free tree from Sulby (have they checked this is still the case)?

The street lights are off where I am - not sure about where you are. It's a bit unfair to blame the current lot for the car park as well - it should have been done properly back in the day.

Yeah, mad for it, Douglas is the best, we can afford a big tree, Ramsey sucks, full of hoi palloi and oxygen stealers stuart.gif

attachicon.gifdouglas-lights-big.jpgHere is the tree Douglas had last year (a proper municipal one)

Walked down parliament street today for a look, tree outside the post office look ok and fits in with the suroundings, big is not always best, you look at it not up to it.

The thing that did open my eyes was the number of new shops that have opened over the last couple of months or are due to open very soon, the only empty ones are in such a state they need taking off the people that own them !

Walked down parliament street today for a look, tree outside the post office look ok and fits in with the suroundings, big is not always best, you look at it not up to it.

The thing that did open my eyes was the number of new shops that have opened over the last couple of months or are due to open very soon, the only empty ones are in such a state they need taking off the people that own them !

I know, I was in Ramsey recently and couldn't get a park the street was that full. It's all bollocks shops though!

I looked at the Redditch website which said -

Officers at the council have decided against putting up the 35ft tree after they were advised that it would need brand new fencing costing £300 on top of the usual £400 cost of the tree and additional hire costs for installation and removal.

I actually thought that the tree would cost more and for those accountants out there, couldn't a company pay for the tree as a way of sponsorship or something and claim it back on tax? (Just a thought)

Eye, It does fit in with the surrounding area where they have placed it, I just remember the big ones at the front of the building & I have to agree the town is looking a lot better than it has done for years - with the price it has cost it should be looking more like Dubai though w00t.gif