Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Thunderstruck

Ramsey Christmas Tree 2012

None, but you could purchase two more incontinence pads with them for your chair you old sod

How many Ramsey dollars can I get for 25 Foxdale flirps?

It's not about how many ie: 3

A few years ago the tree used to be as big as the street lights & had the wow factor!

The Island has numerous plantations with thousands of these trees - why do we always have to come up against the simple mind of rate payers and money when sulby forestry board used to supply a decent size tree which if I remember was free off charge.

Indeed it did. I wasn't aware that the tree was ever free of charge. Britannia and Rotary have contributed towards it for a good few years iirc - how many years ago are you talking about when it was free?

>>Ramsey rate payers have blown hundreds of thousands over the past couple of years, get a grip on reality fella.

lockquote>

Have we, on what exactly?

I will highlight one every day for you like an advent calendar shall I, here is two to get yah started - SHOPRITE CAR PARK SUB-BASE IN FILL, RAMSEY STREET LIGHTS LEFT ON DURING THE DAY

Constructive criticism / people in the town are laughing at them! bloody disgrace.........

I've not heard any criticism yet (apart from on here). Have any of these people been in touch with the RTC to tell them they could have a free tree from Sulby (have they checked this is still the case)?

Day two of the advent calendar.

Ramsey swimming pool - piss poor design team, the construction build cost a fortune, no consideration for the towns people ie; amenities for both the young & elderly were incorporated into the project. -

Has anyone yet ever been proud to have been associated with this project?

School kids could have come up with a better design using sketch up for goodness sake.

Just my opinion off constructive criticism.

Have you ever considered standing in the commissioners elections?

Ha ha, I think the town has enough pompous egos sitting around the table without someone like me tipping up the apple cart!

Day 3 of the advent calendar.

10 am 15/11/2013 Ramsey street lights still left on

Library running at over £100,000 - £120,000 loss each year I was told by a man in the pub

They were indeed on this morning - not sure if that was the whole of Ramsey or just the bit where I am (and maybe you are too?).

I can't comment on the library but man in pub talk isn't exactly reliable is it now (unless said man in pub was a commissioner / town hall bod). I wonder if the figures are listed in their annual report?

Surely a library is not expected to 'break even' anyway. It is classed as a social good.

Whether libraries ARE a social good is another argument altogether, but to shout at it for not making money misses the point.

Day 3 and you're scratching around already. Instead of sniping from the sidelines, step up and change things!

• Like 2

Thunderstruck, on 15 Nov 2013 - 09:58, said:

Library running at over £100,000 - £120,000 loss each year I was told by a man in the pub

No shit sherlock. http://ramsey.gov.im/Upload/Files/Statement%20of%20Accounts%2031%20March%202012.pdf

The accounts are here for 2012 and show that the library deficit was £125k.

It's a fecking library not a bookshop. It provides books and all sorts of other things free of charge in exchange for a nominal £10 per year membership fee (£20 if you're not a Towny). That's what libraries do for god's sake. Of course it ran at a deficit it's a public service not intended to make money.

For a know it all you are pretty dumb.

• Like 2

The little Xmas tree in Parliament Square now has a great big wooden fence around it, with a huge poster tied to it advertising a bank. The tree is obstructed by 6 metal poles around the tree and inside the fence saying "Disk Parking Zone". Well done Ramsey Commissioners ! Lovely.

Surely a library is not expected to 'break even' anyway. It is classed as a social good.

Whether libraries ARE a social good is another argument altogether, but to shout at it for not making money misses the point.

Day 3 and you're scratching around already. Instead of sniping from the sidelines, step up and change things!

Day 3 and scratching already - ok, when the plaza building was taken down, where did all the scrap lead from the roof go? & did "ALL THE SCRAP MONEY" go back into the rate payers pot?

All I was bitching about was the tree size, I don't want to step up and change things (in fact I like Ramsey).

Thunderstruck, on 15 Nov 2013 - 09:58, said:

No shit sherlock. http://ramsey.gov.im/Upload/Files/Statement%20of%20Accounts%2031%20March%202012.pdf

The accounts are here for 2012 and show that the library deficit was £125k.

It's a fecking library not a bookshop. It provides books and all sorts of other things free of charge in exchange for a nominal £10 per year membership fee (£20 if you're not a Towny). That's what libraries do for god's sake. Of course it ran at a deficit it's a public service not intended to make money.

For a know it all you are pretty dumb.

For a know it all I am pretty dumb, yeah your right - but that makes you a know it all c*nt then doesn't it

I drove past the old courthouse in Ramsey tonight where one of the Christmas trees is and it's going to look ace.

There is the mesh of thousands of bluey LED lights coupled with the constantly changing projected colour lights. Both of these are there all year round now and look good on their own.

But for Christmas they have added hundreads of coloured lights into the trees that surround the old courthouse grounds and the Christmas tree itself will be lit soon.

The whole area is going to look its best yet.

Edited by Terminal
  • Like 2

Day 3 and scratching already - ok, when the plaza building was taken down, where did all the scrap lead from the roof go? & did "ALL THE SCRAP MONEY" go back into the rate payers pot?

All I was bitching about was the tree size, I don't want to step up and change things (in fact I like Ramsey).

I would take a guess that whoever was the demolition contractor was that knocked the Plaza down would have sold the lead. It is standard practise in demolition that the "goodies" you can save and/ or remove from a building during demolition become the demolition contractors property to do with as they wish, i.e sell.

If there is something that the owner of the building really wants for themselves, then it would be written into the contract. If in this case, the Commissioners had said they want the lead, they would just have ended up paying more for the building to be demolished, you cant have it both ways.

The above is how it works normally on a demolition contract AFAIK, I dont know the circumstances regarding the Plaza demolition, who did it, or if it was even tendered, but you seem to have a problem with it so why not tell us?

Yes please tell us what happened to all the lead from the plaza ????

Its was sold by crooked commissioners who squandered the cash on a loss making library?

Its been stockpiled for use in the new felt museum/monorail station?

Its been installed in Ramsey houses' toilets in the form of Automatic New Poo Recognition cameras as part of a new shitting tax?

The contractor who demolished the building in 1990 disposed of it along with all the other rubble from the site?

• Like 1