Sports Lessons At School: Question About The Rules Regarding Not Partaking Due To Injury

Why did you opt out of RE?

I opted out of RE because it was BS

I also opted out of English Literature

- everyone read chapter 2 of To Kill A Mocking Bird

- I've read it Miss

- well read chapter 3

- read that was well, I've read it all

- what, since Friday?

- yeah, its a good book Miss

- well read it again

- no, I wouldnt enjoy reading it again straight away, and it would lessen the experience

- well you have to for the exam

- in fact I dont want to analyse it, pick it to pieces and write essays on it

- how do you know you understood it

- I understood it was a good book and I enjoyed reading it. Dont need to understand more

- well you cant do the exam

- fine

- ok then

I also dropped English Lit. Basically a waste of time. I preferred to spend my time on things that would benefit me in the future. I could read and write. Passed English Language a year early. Job done.

Edited by Cambon

I don't think RE is bullshit. You mean you didn't find it interesting? I was bored to death with English Lit. But does it not have value in helping people use their brain to understand how the language is being used to convey emotion and meaning in new, novel and interesting ways? That has value for those who don't understand these things.

In the minority of cases yes. However, 90% of students would be better off spending that time learning maths, science or a foreign language. Perhaps some classes on social skills or how to use a bank account, mortgage, loans, how to do basic cooking, sewing, ironing, the list is endless. Eng lit is very unlikely to get you a job.

Rumour has it he met a deaf fairy down at the fairy bridge, asked for a 'big nob', but she turned him into one instead.

Well I am fairly comfortably off. Rumour also has it that you meet fairies all over the place, and ask them for big knobs. And get them.

A poor riposte. If this was fencing, you'd be a tea-strainer by now.

@LDV

it was BS in my school

pretty much every lessen someone would say "Miss, Miss, Sean doesnt believe in God" followed by the teacher ranting at me.

RE in my school was more like Bible Studies (also abbreviated as BS, coincidentally), we did very very little on other religions.

Also I loved science and maths and when questioning 'why' to always get the stock answer 'because it says so in the bible' just didnt cut it with me and I switched off.

Why did you opt out of RE?

Because it was no more or less than disguised indoctrination at the time (1960s). The Grammar school I later attended was much better and taught theory of all cults rather than just the one. We were selected on academic ability rather than religious criteria. In the first school I was sent to sit with the Catholics instead of attend assembly. At the second Assembly was secular.

Thank you all for the replies and words of wisdom! thumbsup.gif

I spoke to their Headmaster today and it has been agreed that their time would be better spent in the Library until the injury is better. I must say, that the attitude of the teacher was very positive, they could not understand how this situation had occurred in the first place, as it is not school policy, to have pupils who are not able, due to illness/injury, stand watching PE long term, unless a pupil has just a week or two off PE because of a cold or something similar which I can fully understand.

SHL

I am glad that the issues has been sorted.

I would have suggested that you get another's doctors note suggesting your child's recovery period would be delayed by standing out in the cold.

When you handed the note to the headmaster, maybe muttering something under your breath about suing the school!

Thank you all for the replies and words of wisdom! thumbsup.gif

I spoke to their Headmaster today and it has been agreed that their time would be better spent in the Library until the injury is better. I must say, that the attitude of the teacher was very positive, they could not understand how this situation had occurred in the first place, as it is not school policy, to have pupils who are not able, due to illness/injury, stand watching PE long term, unless a pupil has just a week or two off PE because of a cold or something similar which I can fully understand.

SHL

I am glad that the issues has been sorted.

I would have suggested that you get another's doctors note suggesting your child's recovery period would be delayed by standing out in the cold.

When you handed the note to the headmaster, maybe muttering something under your breath about suing the school!

Why?