No Women Bishops Please!

My only interest in this is the comedy value in seeing all these serious church types hand-wringing about this, when the reality is that their argument has as much validity as two toddlers quarreling about which is the best of the Mr Men.

• Like 4

My only interest in this is the comedy value in seeing all these serious church types hand-wringing about this, when the reality is that their argument has as much validity as two toddlers quarreling about which is the best of the Mr Men.

Perhaps a little hasty in your judgement here. It matters greatly who does or doesnt become a Bishop.

In the UK, Bishops sit in the House of Lords and have voting rights.

They, as a body, are also formidable and effective lobbyists.

I wouldnt like to make a judgement on the merits of religious belief.

The Church of England, though, is a influential and powerful institution.

In my opinion,its a matter of public interest if such a powerful organisation is barring women from taking up office.

What a fantastic result it would have been carnage if they had allowed it mass defections to other churches, everyone is entitled to an opinion on this but I am delighted, the last Archbishop of Canterbury was an idiot and has set the Church of England back by years.

I can't believe this shit, I'm very very angry at this result. Luckily I'm not religious so it doesn't actually affect me, but this is exactly the same as banning blacks or gays from such roles. The fact this is even allowed is astonishing. Thankfully they're digging their own graves with this crap, publicly declaring their sexism and inherent criminal discrimination. No-one else can discriminate on this kind of basis so why should the deluded god-botherers be free to do so?

Those that voted against this need to remember what they slid down into this world via.

• Like 1
In the UK, Bishops sit in the House of Lords and have voting rights.
The issue here would then be about reform of the House of Lords and to do away with any religious involvement.
I wouldnt like to make a judgement on the merits of religious belief.
Don't. It will just start a big argument.

The Church of England, though, is a influential and powerful institution.

In my opinion,its a matter of public interest if such a powerful organisation is barring women from taking up office.

Disagree. The power it has to lobby is power it should not have and that is a problem with government. And all influence and power it has is with Christians and it is confined to the Church.

Not of much interest to me. Can't see why it would be for anyone who is not Christian.

The fact this is even allowed is astonishing. Thankfully they're digging their own graves with this crap, publicly declaring their sexism and inherent criminal discrimination. No-one else can discriminate on this kind of basis so why should the deluded god-botherers be free to do so?

Because it is their own club. Why shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever they want and go as far as ban gays, woman, black people from the Church entirely and be complete nasty bigots. It is up to them. If people don't like the decision of the institutions hierarchical decisionmaking process then maybe they are in the wrong church. Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

it only goes to make the bishops attendance in Tynwald more irrational and unfair. He represents a minority church which is now guilty of sexual discrimination. He should be dumped from Tynwald and the money spent on better things