Tony Benn At The Gaiety

Anyone else from here go along?

Poor old boy didn't seem in the best of health, but it was an interesting evening even if hid didn't live up to my memories of him from 30 years ago. Had some nice things to say about Ted Heath which surprised me a bit.

Edited by kevster

I couldn't go. Does he still speak from flash cards with bullet points as reminders of what to say next? He was the most inspirational speaker I have ever heard in person, although TV clips of Powell, with whose politics I am in fundamental disagreement, indicate he was the best orator of the last generation. There are no great orators now as it is all soundbite,

Another labour great is on the Island this weekend for a speaking engagement, Ken Livingstone. He is a good speaker and fascinating personality

prism10. I may be many things but I don't have foresight, and cannot tell the future, so I don't know if he will use that when he delivers his speech this weekend

Oops

Do ask for tax dodging advice. Apparently the newt loving one is a dab hand thumbsup.gif

I couldn't go. Does he still speak from flash cards with bullet points as reminders of what to say next? He was the most inspirational speaker I have ever heard in person, although TV clips of Powell, with whose politics I am in fundamental disagreement, indicate he was the best orator of the last generation. There are no great orators now as it is all soundbite,

Another labour great is on the Island this weekend for a speaking engagement, Ken Livingstone. He is a good speaker and fascinating personality

No prompt cards - just him and the guy asking the questions.

Really, Nigel Farage is a complete bellend, but a surprisingly good speaker. Ditto George Galloway. Ditto Tommy Sheridan.

There is a difference between being a good speaker and an orator

although its all words, speaking and oratory are different skill sets

and yes I agree about Sheridan, Galloway and even Farage being good speakers

Really, Nigel Farage is a complete bellend, but a surprisingly good speaker. Ditto George Galloway. Ditto Tommy Sheridan.

Oswald Mosely could tell a good yarn

Do the Mosley family still own farms at Bride and Ballaugh.The property at Bride is adjacent to our own Tangerine leaders home, just wondered if the politics have rubbed off. Lady Ravensdale, Oswalds daughter in law, was a charming lady and I remember her and her children holidaying over here prior to her demise.