Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Hungry Harrison

Problems At Hospital

Why all the hating of Manxy ?

As far as I can see, all Manxy has done is to try to bring a bit of reality to the thread and bring some people back down to earth regarding these health issues.

How is it that as soon as someones relative or friend is ill then everyone is a health expert and knows what to spend money on and where the real answers can be found.

It is very sad when anybody becomes ill, but being sad or angy about ones pal or family member does not give anyone the right to rubbish the posts of someone who is "in the job" and just maybe has a better insight into such topics.

I for one, respect Manxy's input.

I doubt Manxy is in any job based in her general level of intellectual contribution to anything in here. As for what Knoxville said well he's entitled to say whatever he wants as it's first hand experience of how shit things can be for people being treated for cancer on this Island. If it was my mum I'd have done the same. In fact I'd probably have dragged my MHK out and got it dealt with if I ever had a similar experience. It's appalling if true (which I have no reason to doubt it isn't).

As for the hospital I'm sorry but as someone who has been in there a lot recently - he's right. The whole experience is shit, the administration is horrendous, and the health workers are good at what they deliver but there's a whole "Who gives a fuck" attitude that pervades the place and just rubs you up the wrong way. If they don't like people saying that then tough, they should get off their asses and prove people wrong by delivering joined up services in a professional way. I have no doubt it's the management that makes things this way but the staff are just stuck with that as the publics perception.

Edited by Boredom
  • Like 2

The place is a mess, my mother has been diagnosed with terminal head and neck cancer, not by the IOM but by someone in the UK.............this has been going on since October 2013 and not one person at Nobles spotted this and from we've been told, it should've been picked up back then.

The nurses at Nobles are fantastic, whilst my mother was in there she was treated fantastically by them but the doctors......well......I think English as a first language should be number one, we had awful trouble understanding one doctor and had to get one of his colleagues to translate for us.

Some of them were still telling the nurses to feed my mother food/water, even though she was nil by mouth.....and we even over heard " look I'm the doctor, you're just the nurse, just do it".....too which my father (who is a calm person) interjected and set the doctor straight.

The nurses are under-valued, under-praised and under paid for what they do, the doctors are over paid and need serious bed side manner training......I had to walk out at one point after hearing one of them talking to a patient!!!!!!

The after care my mother has received in the IOM after her spells in Aintree University and then Clatterbridge and can best be described as next to nothing!!!

We've had to do everything and I do mean EVERYTHING......from chasing up for her food (she has a peg fitted), medical supplies, the district nurse (hasn't been around now for 2 weeks, she should be every week), travel, appointments and even reminding them of medication she's on, what she needs etc.

They have no transparency with any other hospital in the UK, which is SHOCKING!!!!!!

All I can say is, if you have a sign of cancer at all.........head to the UK, it'll along time here before they pick up on anything!!!!!!!!!

I have nothing but praise for the nursing staff at Nobles but that's it...........and Coward Quayle, if you're reading this or one of your cronies, do something whilst you have the chance before another person has to suffer!!!!!!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has had this mis-treatment or family members.

Do you think going public via the newspapers with your story would be beneficial to the rest of islands taxpayers, who may use this essential public service??? It appears that only when transparency is forced upon this government do they act. And whilst many of those in government are in a position to seek out their healthcare needs elsewhere the greater majority are not and therefore are beholden on the existing system.

Man in the pub tells me one of the hospital managers is leaving before retirement age with a 300k handshake.

I hope to hell that's not true.

Well whatever the amount, its more public money wasted, when we should be investing in and attracting 'golden hands' we fritter it away saying goodbye to poor performance and care :(

• Like 1

Man in the pub tells me one of the hospital managers is leaving before retirement age with a 300k handshake.

I hope to hell that's not true.

And the rest! And don't forget the pension deal. It's a total disgrace. Where's that Manx Leaks site again?

Look on the bright side...with having only the one, at least it's top of the league here...er...

Manxy, you take oblivious to a new level.

I had to go to A&E the other week, I had a hugely stupid accident (cut hand.....down to muscle, which looks really cool but it's really too sore to recommend doing just to see your muscle) they took the usual 5 hours but they did a great job and the doctor was only 12 smile.png I would be quicker and neater at sewing than him though, the most important part is that I am alive and my hand is fixed (had a nervous moment the other night when I did something to my shoulder and my fingers went numb.....not one to be dramatic but I thought I had cholophogical carcinoma which I can assure you, if it were spelled correctly, would be well scary)

I had to go to A&E the other week, I had a hugely stupid accident (cut hand.....down to muscle, which looks really cool but it's really too sore to recommend doing just to see your muscle) they took the usual 5 hours but they did a great job and the doctor was only 12 smile.png I would be quicker and neater at sewing than him though, the most important part is that I am alive and my hand is fixed (had a nervous moment the other night when I did something to my shoulder and my fingers went numb.....not one to be dramatic but I thought I had cholophogical carcinoma which I can assure you, if it were spelled correctly, would be well scary)

Bees - thank you for that post - it was soo good I apparently quoted it twice!! I'm away working at present and just logged in to see what was happening. As usual on MF the moaners and groaners are moaning and groaning but your post made me smile and reminded me of home. Many thanks, keep up the good work.

PS Hope you hand gets better soon.hug.gif

Edited by piebaps

Slightly off piste, but Quayle has come out and stated he wants a cap on the lump sum payments paid out to staff in government. Not sure between him and Robertshaw which one is the biggest hypocrite. They can't or wont force through any changes to their own pension provision schemes yet he is quite happy to threaten staff who have paid the extra to protect their existing pension provision.

This is the same as the banks flogging ppi and I seriously hope that someone takes this fucker on in the courts.

No leadership by example from Howard Quayle.

Why all the hating of Manxy ?

As far as I can see, all Manxy has done is to try to bring a bit of reality to the thread and bring some people back down to earth regarding these health issues.

How is it that as soon as someones relative or friend is ill then everyone is a health expert and knows what to spend money on and where the real answers can be found.

It is very sad when anybody becomes ill, but being sad or angy about ones pal or family member does not give anyone the right to rubbish the posts of someone who is "in the job" and just maybe has a better insight into such topics.

I for one, respect Manxy's input.

I doubt Manxy is in any job based in her general level of intellectual contribution to anything in here. As for what Knoxville said well he's entitled to say whatever he wants as it's first hand experience of how shit things can be for people being treated for cancer on this Island. If it was my mum I'd have done the same. In fact I'd probably have dragged my MHK out and got it dealt with if I ever had a similar experience. It's appalling if true (which I have no reason to doubt it isn't).

As for the hospital I'm sorry but as someone who has been in there a lot recently - he's right. The whole experience is shit, the administration is horrendous, and the health workers are good at what they deliver but there's a whole "Who gives a fuck" attitude that pervades the place and just rubs you up the wrong way. If they don't like people saying that then tough, they should get off their asses and prove people wrong by delivering joined up services in a professional way. I have no doubt it's the management that makes things this way but the staff are just stuck with that as the publics perception.

I don't get you boredom.

In the one hand you pick the niceties of your beliefs without knowing the true facts of the situation and then run away believing that your beliefs are the one and only truth without accepting others!

You really don't see that when people die, that people's feelings look for an answer to their relations death? Seriously, hand on heart - do you?

You quickly defend Knoxville by saying - 'Knoxville said well he's entitled to say whatever he wants as it's first hand experience of how shit things can be for people being treated for cancer on this Island' yet you do not accept others peoples opinions. A bit two faced if ever there was and you damn well know it!

The usual things that people feel are shock, belief, anger, sadness, guilt, fear and depression. If you or any other person has a rock steady answer to give that can answer the above, then I'll be happy to put your name forward with your answer.

What will happen is that a person acting on behalf of the department will try to fill the void and come up with an answer that will try to appease the relation in whatever or however they can. They do not have a book saying do this or that or even pick the solution from the four answers like that of a question paper. Instead, they have to react to whatever scenario unfolds and yet they are not given expert training to do this - WHY?

Some WILL look for answer and blame every person that has been a caring part of their lives so that they have someone to vent off too, because deep down they feel that they've neglected them in some way and by looking at others, they can push their feelings onto another person or area.

Everyone however, responds in different ways, but this is a common trait but isn't the holy grail of why this happens.

So before you think that every person is to be believed on their say so without knowing the full facts, then BOREDOM, you are full of bullshit and for someone who talks as if they speak about everything in the real world, then I'm afraid, you're talking through your arse and have zero knowledge of what it takes to work in a hospital. Don't even go there as I believe that you're way out of your depth here, regardless of some common familiarities.

If you're man enough which I dare say you're not by looking at some your past whinging, I'm prepared to give you a fair shout in the hope that that you would accept that you've been listening to other people comments and come up with a decision based on the facts you've heard. I would actually accept this, but I do not think you will do this and somehow accept this as a challenge or somehow being spoken down to. If that;s the case, I'm willing to pursue an angle with some direct questions to see how much experience and knowledge you have in this sector, including any employment experiences, personal experiences and the reasons behind this and some others which will put you in a corner and you either open up, or prefer to say nothing. I think that if you do not have this knowledge, then you're going to look like a flimflam, a jack ass, someone who gobs away looking at picking faults with others, yet shuns away when confronted on direct subjects he knows little about. So what say you boredom?

Looking on the past subject of death, YES, I know about death, I've had to attend people who have passed away, generally through old age and it was just their time and yes I've had to work through shifts whilst personally knowing that relations have passed away the same day or the day before. The number of staff who work on and pretend that they're professionals and that patients and relations shouldn't see our inner feelings is something that psychiatrists should look more closely at, especially when they put on a feigned smile,be polite to whinging patients whilst knowing that we've lost loved ones etc, but our damn professionalism and thoughts to others still cloud our minds.

So Boredom, I do not expect you to accept what I've said as I think you're just a jumped up ego tripper who works in some la-de-da place that has no real affect on the population as like that of a hospital (name it then), but you started it, I've continued your parasitic thread and lets see where that develops. Lets see if you still deride every hospital worker or just someone who answers you back.

Care to play?

• Like 2

Oblivious - Crack on and explain further.

She was left in Liverpool airport on her own, the guy pushed in the wheel chair and left her outside JD Sport, where she was on her feed still and couldn't go to the toilet on her own, so I'll leave it to you to work out what happened next, as well as being sick in her hand bag.

Luckily a girl from JD Sport saw her being sick and asked what flight she was on wheeled her to the gate and explained to the staff what had happened.........Kate at JD Sport, I owe you a HUGE thank you, I know she's not reading this but on my travels I'll 100% be making sure I find her at the store to thank her in person and make sure she's rewarded for what she did.

My self and my father are taking turns traveling with her at all times, so we know 100% she's being looked after on her travels, at Ronaldsway I had to ask someone to go and collect her, as she was left on the tarmac.

My mums going through enough as it is, but that has taken any dignity out of her that she had.

Again I'm reaching out to anyone or anyone who's had any form of mistreatment at Nobles etc to please get in contact with me, I'm looking to do something about it, I'm but one man but many voices making a noise will highlight the fundamental issues that we have here......the care just isn't good enough and too many people are slipping through the net, which shouldn't be happening.

I wish you well, there have been a couple of occasions where Noble's staff have been negligent, incompetent and unprofessional and I have taken legal advice, however, despite the 99% in my favour the 1% against was enough to deter me from pursuing legal action as the loss if the 'network' worked it's usual magic was too great.....upon reflection I wish I'd have had the balls for a fight but alas I was a weaker person then.

Matt, one thing I am is strong enough and willing to follow up anything, even if the 1% is against........I'm not willing to sit by and let further people suffer. They should still have their dignity and not have to go through what my mother has or even are family, it's beyond a joke waiting for a district nurse to come 3 weeks after she's been home.

I'm at Clatterbridge today and speaking with various people, my flight home is 5:30, so they've made the necessary time for me and to hear out my problems that I've got......Nobles I've had to go down the "filing a complaint route", which no doubt will end up in the bin or "forgotten".

The people who do know me on here, know I'm a stubborn wanker and will not budge when I have a point to make or even more if that point is valid and stands.

Again, thank you for the people who have got in contact, please be rest assured I will take this as far as I humanly can........I've made a promise to my mother and I intend to keep that.

Manxy, I understand you'll stick up for your job and employer, like any employee would, but you must see where people from here are coming from here........the care isn't enough and I undertake it's the upper esherlons that has the over all say, the nursing staff are fantastic, and I have said that at the start, but the doctors again are a different matter.

• Like 1

New ground breaking leaks from IOM Newspapers today.

They have some hospital porters earning £40,000 a year by far eclipsing some of the salaries they pay to trained nursing staff

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/revealed-by-this-week-s-examiner-porters-earn-more-than-nurses-1-6779825

Edited by Boredom

Here we go again, look deeper and if you have an iota of sense you will realise that they have now moved on from the buses and need a new scapegoat.

Talk to any porter in Nobles and they, as did bus staff at the time, will give you the truth of the situation.

This Government, ably assisted by the media, keep dragging up overstated and unsubstantiated earnings rubbish to remove the necessity to trim what should be and must be the priority- Management and Executive salary's.

It is way overdue that our non existent Manx NON Investigative journalists started doing their jobs instead of cow towing to this non democratic system of governance

Publish Executive and Management salaries if you dare.

• Like 3

New ground breaking leaks from IOM Newspapers today.

They have some hospital porters earning £40,000 a year by far eclipsing some of the salaries they pay to trained nursing staff

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/revealed-by-this-week-s-examiner-porters-earn-more-than-nurses-1-6779825

Indeed, this 'leak' is a great way of pointing the finger of blame for our current financial woes at anyone other than the real culprits. Did they put the hours in? Probably. Is that figure the salary paid to the Porter's management? Maybe....

There'll be more shit from Sherlock to follow, no doubt.

• Like 1