Problems At Hospital

Hungry Harrison

What would you like to happen and are you aware of the difficulties and problems staff face before considering your next move that has not been covered in the recent inspection?

The hospital is geared up to present itself as a value for money service where staff are expected to push themselves from start to finish with the emphasis on covering as much as you can within the limited time you have. (Fair enough as this is what I'd expect from any firm)

Heartless self justificatory clap trap.

It took a lot for Knoxville to share that, the last thing he/she needs is the insight of a halfwit on top of everything else.

Whatever simpleton

Edited by manxy

It took a lot for Knoxville to share that, the last thing he/she needs is the insight of a halfwit on top of everything else.

Oh yeah, you of all people who know exactly what goes on behind the doors. Go stuff yourself you ignoramus prat because you have no idea apart from the half truths you read on here.

Half truths ?

Oh yeah, you of all people who know exactly what goes on behind the doors. Go stuff yourself you ignoramus prat because you have no idea apart from the half truths you read on here.

Half truths ?

Work there and find out for yourself

Edited by manxy

Still early days yet, but find out more HERE

Irrelevant in this context. Airhead.

And why is that shit for brains?

People do die of cancer and if there's hope for some others then is this too much to believe in or are you saying that I shouldn't post things like that in case it raises peoples hopes up and doesn't fall into your way of thinking?

It's hard to keep up with your constant post editing. And I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say here about hope.

What you linked to is a crowd sourced and syndicated non expert piece based on a press release related to a research paper. Almost certainly connected with looking for further research funding. It's PR. The tabloid angle here, what makes this more of a story, is the cat poop bit. That's the hook and also the giveaway. It's the same kind of nonsense which rubbish like the Mail and the Express used to regularly trade in. This is not an article on which anyone can base any immediate hope. At best the research as reported postulates the speculative possibility of some future breakthrough.

If you had linked to a recognised medical journal reporting that there was a major breakthrough which would be available very soon then this would be a different conversation. That might provide hope. But there is no hope in this article for anyone who is currently undergoing treatment or experiencing the widely discussed problems at the hospital here. None. And therefore the article is completely out of context.

Still early days yet, but find out more HERE

Irrelevant in this context. Airhead.

And why is that?

People do die of cancer and if there's hope for some others then is this too much to believe in or are you saying that I shouldn't post things like that in case it raises peoples hopes up and doesn't fall into your way of thinking?

It's hard to keep up with your constant post editing. And I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say here about hope.

What you linked to is a crowd sourced and syndicated non expert piece based on a press release related to a research paper. Almost certainly connected with looking for further research funding. It's PR. The tabloid angle here, what makes this more of a story, is the cat poop bit. That's the hook and also the giveaway. It's the same kind of nonsense which rubbish like the Mail and the Express used to regularly trade in. This is not an article on which anyone can base any immediate hope. At best the research as reported postulates the speculative possibility of some future breakthrough.

If you had linked to a recognised medical journal reporting that there was a major breakthrough which would be available very soon then this would be a different conversation. That might provide hope. But there is no hope in this article for anyone who is currently undergoing treatment or experiencing the widely discussed problems at the hospital here. None. And therefore the article is completely out of context.

When people are struggling, desperate for an answer, some grasp onto any feint chance or hope and for what some people find ridiculous, it seems that there's an equal amount who will read any article that appertains to them with just that glimmer of hope. This article could be the breakthrough that people need, although I will agree that there's still a long way to provide evidence that this works on humans. Personally, if I had a cancerous disease and knew that other medicines or treatments would not help, then I would risk it as what else is there to lose?

Death is a certainty that affects us all and yet people will still eat too much, eat too little, fry until brown, smoke, drink and all other manner of excesses that most people know are bad for them, but they still do it anyway.

It's the hidden factor that spooks us all. The hidden cancer of which there are many, of cells dividing and conquering until a mass of them create a tumour. If you're lucky enough, you can stop it from spreading, but the silent hidden disease is often found too late or found by chance.

Would a MOT like Amadeus suggests help? Who knows as timing is paramount and what might seem like an all clear then, might be totally different situation in a months time, but one things for certain, the result 'then' could relieve at least a lot of concern and for those who find an unwanted area, could prepare themselves for treatment, or prepare to put there house in order before they go. Certainly not great reading, but this is something I've seen done before. There is also another scenario in that people become concerned, lose sleep and some even become paranoid with many choosing a life of drugs and check-ups as a type of fail safe.

I do not like seeing dead people, but this it seems, has become an accepted part of my employment of which I work with and I suppose I could only blame myself for this as I have a choice.

I do see time as being a negative factor in quite a lot of ways, as the minute second of a blinking of an eye or a innocuous action which might seem non important in the great scheme of things, but to others, every second is captured, treasured and held onto for that one last time. Seeing the anguish, the tears, the sad drawn out faces and realising that their loved ones are slowly fading away in front of them used to be severely heartbreaking for me and in some ways I still feel bad about not feeling the same way as I once used to be before and maybe I have become heartless in some way as you mentioned, but please know that we attempt to limit the pain to others whilst attempting to preserve a persons dignity too.

(far too late to discuss more but will add to Knoxville, if you have a complaint, then follow it through using John Wrights comment and lets hope that you find what you're looking for)

Edited by manxy

I have a GP mate who says exactly the same as wrighty regarding MOTs. I'm mid-forties, a bit fat, drink too much and do hardly any exercise, but don't have anything obviously wrong with me. That said, I wouldn't have the first clue how to spot the first signs of cancer or other major illness, so I thought the MOT might be a good shout. Not so, according to my mate. All you end up with is a load of false positives, followed by further tests or unnecessary treatment (all at a cost). These people are often charlatans preying on people's concerns.

There are all sorts preying on our worries. In fact it's a known advertising/insurance technique to introduce a worry that wasn't really there in the first place and then, amazingly, have an answer to it for a price of course.

I'm not at all qualified to argue this "MOT" point with any doctor but I have yearly checks at my request for things that I and my GP jointly think are appropriate. These would likely vary depending on your general health and family history.

False positives are possible (although false negatives are much rarer) but if a positive happens, other tests would then be appropriate to investigate further. If I had a sudden rise in, say, PSA which I have done each year, that would hardly end up with a radical prostatectomy without further tests. I therefore don't view the possibility of a false positive as a reason for not doing any test.

A "medically informed" mate of mine currently has terminal prostate cancer and he asked for a PSA test for years which was denied on the false positive premise. By the time he had symptoms he already had pelvic secondaries and his new oncologist friend estimated that he likely had active disease for about a decade prior to this. He is 63. Another mate who is 61 had life saving liver surgery a few weeks ago following cancer discovered after a blood test. The only reason he had the blood test was to initially determine his suitability to donate a kidney. His oncologist said that surgery would not have been possible 3 months ish later. If only his Hepatitis C had been found a decade earlier by a routine blood test.

In the end, it's a personal choice I suppose and is no doubt funding dependent. However serious disease is usually cheaper to treat in the early and the maybe more easily curable phase. However I appreciate hindsight bias doesn't help making a decision about all this.

Edited by ballaughbiker

Manxy, you take oblivious to a new level.

I had to go to A&E the other week, I had a hugely stupid accident (cut hand.....down to muscle, which looks really cool but it's really too sore to recommend doing just to see your muscle) they took the usual 5 hours but they did a great job and the doctor was only 12 :) I would be quicker and neater at sewing than him though, the most important part is that I am alive and my hand is fixed (had a nervous moment the other night when I did something to my shoulder and my fingers went numb.....not one to be dramatic but I thought I had cholophogical carcinoma which I can assure you, if it were spelled correctly, would be well scary)

Why all the hating of Manxy ?

As far as I can see, all Manxy has done is to try to bring a bit of reality to the thread and bring some people back down to earth regarding these health issues.

How is it that as soon as someones relative or friend is ill then everyone is a health expert and knows what to spend money on and where the real answers can be found.

It is very sad when anybody becomes ill, but being sad or angy about ones pal or family member does not give anyone the right to rubbish the posts of someone who is "in the job" and just maybe has a better insight into such topics.

I for one, respect Manxy's input.

• Like 2

The place is a mess, my mother has been diagnosed with terminal head and neck cancer, not by the IOM but by someone in the UK.............this has been going on since October 2013 and not one person at Nobles spotted this and from we've been told, it should've been picked up back then.

The nurses at Nobles are fantastic, whilst my mother was in there she was treated fantastically by them but the doctors......well......I think English as a first language should be number one, we had awful trouble understanding one doctor and had to get one of his colleagues to translate for us.

Some of them were still telling the nurses to feed my mother food/water, even though she was nil by mouth.....and we even over heard " look I'm the doctor, you're just the nurse, just do it".....too which my father (who is a calm person) interjected and set the doctor straight.

The nurses are under-valued, under-praised and under paid for what they do, the doctors are over paid and need serious bed side manner training......I had to walk out at one point after hearing one of them talking to a patient!!!!!!

The after care my mother has received in the IOM after her spells in Aintree University and then Clatterbridge and can best be described as next to nothing!!!

We've had to do everything and I do mean EVERYTHING......from chasing up for her food (she has a peg fitted), medical supplies, the district nurse (hasn't been around now for 2 weeks, she should be every week), travel, appointments and even reminding them of medication she's on, what she needs etc.

They have no transparency with any other hospital in the UK, which is SHOCKING!!!!!!

All I can say is, if you have a sign of cancer at all.........head to the UK, it'll along time here before they pick up on anything!!!!!!!!!

I have nothing but praise for the nursing staff at Nobles but that's it...........and Coward Quayle, if you're reading this or one of your cronies, do something whilst you have the chance before another person has to suffer!!!!!!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has had this mis-treatment or family members.

Do you think going public via the newspapers with your story would be beneficial to the rest of islands taxpayers, who may use this essential public service??? It appears that only when transparency is forced upon this government do they act. And whilst many of those in government are in a position to seek out their healthcare needs elsewhere the greater majority are not and therefore are beholden on the existing system.

Man in the pub tells me one of the hospital managers is leaving before retirement age with a 300k handshake.

I hope to hell that's not true.

Well whatever the amount, its more public money wasted, when we should be investing in and attracting 'golden hands' we fritter it away saying goodbye to poor performance and care :(

• Like 1

Man in the pub tells me one of the hospital managers is leaving before retirement age with a 300k handshake.

I hope to hell that's not true.

And the rest! And don't forget the pension deal. It's a total disgrace. Where's that Manx Leaks site again?