Problems At Hospital

Hungry Harrison

TJ - Yes, it is possible that a hospital porter can get paid £44K including overtime (including additional shift pay), holiday pay (for untaken holidays), double or triple pay (plus shift pay) for working bank holidays, etc.

My brother in law is a fireman and if he plays it right over Christmas and Boxing day can walk away with an extra weeks pay. Same at Easter. Often same at other bank holidays. The ones without kids are queuing up to do shifts like that.

If someone is willing to put in the hours? do they not deserve to be compensated and rewarded for it? Don't you think nurses do it to?

If they put in additional "voluntary" extra hours then they deserve to be paid. However where you have a job that requires work at bank holidays, unsolciable hours, weekends etc then that should be built into your contract as part of your standard hours and if some of that falls on a bank holiday or a weekend that is the way the cookie crumbles. I also think that you should not be able to not take holidays.

The problem is, and I am not saying it applies to the porters, over the years they have kept headline basic salary figures down by adding on standard amounts of overtime, unsocialbe hours paymments etc so that the headline basic salary and you actually basic earnings are totally different. Because there was plenty of money around many of the Government contracts are totally out of date as it was easier just to pay up. Whereas many industries in the UK now have contracts which are flexible in that they cover say a number of hours to be worked over a period with minimum breaks and maximum shifts we are still on 9 to 5 contracts with silly over time rules etc. Look at the Whitley Council rules and you can see that some Govt employees can still claim back holidays if they were sick when on leave. It is these practices that nned to be brought up to date.

• Like 1

The starting rate for hospital porters across the English NHS is £14294, apparently rising to a maximum of £17425. Just enter 'porter' into the search below and numerous examples will appear.

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch

Looking at Boredom's figures above, it would seem that we are paying c65% more than the UK as a starting salary. Even if the job role is a bit different, that looks like a figure that is hard to justify.

• Like 1

They have to be on site that means they are in work so they deserve to be paid, do you know many lawyers who will turn up at work for free?

TJ - Yes, it is possible that a hospital porter can get paid £44K including overtime (including additional shift pay), holiday pay (for untaken holidays), double or triple pay (plus shift pay) for working bank holidays, etc.

My brother in law is a fireman and if he plays it right over Christmas and Boxing day can walk away with an extra weeks pay. Same at Easter. Often same at other bank holidays. The ones without kids are queuing up to do shifts like that.

If someone is willing to put in the hours? do they not deserve to be compensated and rewarded for it? Don't you think nurses do it to?

If they put in additional "voluntary" extra hours then they deserve to be paid. However where you have a job that requires work at bank holidays, unsolciable hours, weekends etc then that should be built into your contract as part of your standard hours and if some of that falls on a bank holiday or a weekend that is the way the cookie crumbles. I also think that you should not be able to not take holidays.

The problem is, and I am not saying it applies to the porters, over the years they have kept headline basic salary figures down by adding on standard amounts of overtime, unsocialbe hours paymments etc so that the headline basic salary and you actually basic earnings are totally different. Because there was plenty of money around many of the Government contracts are totally out of date as it was easier just to pay up. Whereas many industries in the UK now have contracts which are flexible in that they cover say a number of hours to be worked over a period with minimum breaks and maximum shifts we are still on 9 to 5 contracts with silly over time rules etc. Look at the Whitley Council rules and you can see that some Govt employees can still claim back holidays if they were sick when on leave. It is these practices that nned to be brought up to date.

As I read it they already are compensated for the shift work. The basic is around £24,000 but with guaranteed hours to cover shift requirements this takes the basic to over £27,000 in all cases without them having to do anything more but turn up and be compensated for some of the shift work that's part of their contract anyway. So to say the "basic" is £24,000 is disingenuous as the "basic" looks to be over £27,000 in all cases before they do even one hour of overtime. Once again just Spanish practices that have become an employment "right" over the years.
  • Like 1

They have to be on site that means they are in work so they deserve to be paid, do you know many lawyers who will turn up at work for free?

As I read it they already are compensated for the shift work. The basic is around £24,000 but with guaranteed hours to cover shift requirements this takes the basic to over £27,000 in all cases without them having to do anything more but turn up and be compensated for some of the shift work that's part of their contract anyway. So to say the "basic" is £24,000 is disingenuous as the "basic" looks to be over £27,000 in all cases before they do even one hour of overtime. Once again just Spanish practices that have become an employment "right" over the years.

we're not talking about lawyers HERE its fucking hospital labourers/porters,no skill requirements (best if you know someone in nobles) no brains necessary.

How much does a pint of milk /loaf of bread/ gallon of fuel cost/ pint cost lets not forget we are paying London plus prices here!

The starting rate for hospital porters across the English NHS is £14294, apparently rising to a maximum of £17425. Just enter 'porter' into the search below and numerous examples will appear.

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch

Looking at Boredom's figures above, it would seem that we are paying c65% more than the UK as a starting salary. Even if the job role is a bit different, that looks like a figure that is hard to justify.

• Like 1

You're a mentally confused whinger.

Wow, aren't you the charmer..... insulting someone just for standing up for the poor.

I'm sure porters do put in heavy hours and hard work to earn that kind of money. Fair to them.

So do minimum wage workers who put in heavy hours and only end up with a third of that salary.

So once IOMG actually does pay your beloved manx workers (and probably a few of those pesky comeovers) a decent wage for a physically demanding job, you're still not happy.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the government employs 17.6% of the island's working population. Nobody here is complaining about the government not creating government jobs. Not only is that a figure which is unsustainable given our current financial situation, but those government jobs do not create or bring in any wealth to the island, and actually when they become excessive in number they only take away resources (money) from the real wealth creators and job creators in the private sector, which is the government's source of tax revenue. Ergo, excessive creation of government jobs means the very source of money to pay for those jobs becomes smaller and smaller, ruining the island's economy.

What's it with you and raving on about temps?

Because nobody else is raving for them.

Only because you probably are one and don't get paid the big bucks doesn't mean everyone should be treated like you.

I'm not a temp, nor do I work for the government. I just care about how the people at the bottom are treated, especially when they're doing the same job as permanent employees yet being paid a fraction of the amount. I'm sorry but that doesn't sit well with my moral, ethical and humanist values.

Don't like your job? Get a better one.

I do like my job so no thanks.

However, your suggestion is asinine in a saturated labour market where wages are stagnating and even reducing, and worker instability, unemployment and underemployment are at an all time high.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

It's easy to pipe up pleas of poverty in your £24,000 job to your family and friends whilst taking home another twenty grand on top. That to me suggests why a lot of people are getting so angry about this - years of claiming you're hard done by when actually you're raking it in and keeping stum.

Yes, government is full of people on 25k + moaning about how underpaid they are.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Matt, one thing I am is strong enough and willing to follow up anything, even if the 1% is against........I'm not willing to sit by and let further people suffer. They should still have their dignity and not have to go through what my mother has or even are family, it's beyond a joke waiting for a district nurse to come 3 weeks after she's been home.

I'm at Clatterbridge today and speaking with various people, my flight home is 5:30, so they've made the necessary time for me and to hear out my problems that I've got......Nobles I've had to go down the "filing a complaint route", which no doubt will end up in the bin or "forgotten".

The people who do know me on here, know I'm a stubborn wanker and will not budge when I have a point to make or even more if that point is valid and stands.

Again, thank you for the people who have got in contact, please be rest assured I will take this as far as I humanly can........I've made a promise to my mother and I intend to keep that.

Manxy, I understand you'll stick up for your job and employer, like any employee would, but you must see where people from here are coming from here........the care isn't enough and I undertake it's the upper esherlons that has the over all say, the nursing staff are fantastic, and I have said that at the start, but the doctors again are a different matter.

If this is to do with Surgical, then just say that a well know person in the surgical department has resigned and was told to because of err...... a not so evident or straight background. Can it be proved, not in a month of Sundays but there are people in the hospital who do know of the bent twat and also know of what I'm talking about that included their offspring who had .......... in the hospital. (some will know, most won't, but whispers get about even in my circles)

Still surprised that a high ranking 'person' was allowed to resign instead of being investigated by the Police for underhand dealing and taking advantage of goods for 'his' own personal benefits. This man is corrupt/bent and a liar and some might question as to why that person never went to jail?

How many staff know about this or heard gossip without naming the person on here? How many 'other people' have kept his name out of the headlines for their own personal interests?

There's a good story for the newspapers here should they wish to follow this up, although this might seem like sour grapes if not researched well enough.

Nuff said for the time being and if you don't know now, then so be it for the moment as its only a matter of time.

• Like 2