Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Hungry Harrison

Problems At Hospital

Manx Radio have just reported that Nobles Hospital is to replace their bank nursing staff with thirty new full-time posts; recruited from the UK, Europe, and around the world. It doesn't seem their intention to recruit and train new nurses locally, when surely we have many young people for whom nursing could be a career. This point didn't even come up in the Manx Radio interview. If Howard Quayle signs this one off then he's no better than the last muppet.

It might be a sensible move. Is there any obligation for newly qualified nurses to hang around on the island having just completed their training? If there is, I can't see it being for long enough to guarantee the investment. Presumably the new posts are for qualified nurses? I would expect any unemployed local qualified nurses would be at liberty to apply for the positions.

Still surprised that a high ranking 'person' was allowed to resign instead of being investigated by the Police for underhand dealing and taking advantage of goods for 'his' own personal benefits. This man is corrupt/bent and a liar and some might question as to why that person never went to jail?

How many staff know about this or heard gossip without naming the person on here? How many 'other people' have kept his name out of the headlines for their own personal interests?

There's a good story for the newspapers here should they wish to follow this up, although this might seem like sour grapes if not researched well enough.

Nuff said for the time being and if you don't know now, then so be it for the moment as its only a matter of time.

Funny how some people follow the unaccountable generosity of others, and I read this week of new depths to which we may go, now that we hold the keys to the pantry are we going to be scoffing at the publics expense once again. tick tock! Edited by 2thumbs

So, Ebola has now reached the UK. UK hospitals have policies and protocols in place. As do Nobles apparently!

Unfortunately no one has provided any information, training or equipment for the front line staff attending any potential Ebola patients at Nobles.

((((((( sigh )))))))

It might be a sensible move. Is there any obligation for newly qualified nurses to hang around on the island having just completed their training? If there is, I can't see it being for long enough to guarantee the investment. Presumably the new posts are for qualified nurses? I would expect any unemployed local qualified nurses would be at liberty to apply for the positions.

There are probably some qualified nurses who would like to go back to work but cannot do so because of lack of child-care and flexibility in shift patterns.

Do we have Back to Nursing courses here?

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/nursing/returning-to-nursing/

Edited by Moghrey Mie

The West Midlands Quality Review Service (WMQRS) found that, for some patients, the current practice was delaying diagnosis "by up to a year".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-31943042

Not only in relation to this latest report. But in general...

How is improvement being measured?

Why isn't statistical data publicy available on a website?

How will improvement be enforced?

What are the timescales for improving.

How many more people have to die?

Nobles brand spanking new computer records system seems to be very slow every time I see it, must be a pain if you have to use it every day :(

#progress !

tried to book an appointment with the blood clinic, 1st available is in a week !

that's the day after my appointment when the results would be needed

as it takes about 2mins to do each one they must be extremely busy !

ermm.gif

• Like 1

Its because the GP's are not doing them and referring everyone to the hospital for a blood test. Its fucking ridiculous

• Like 2

tried to book an appointment with the blood clinic, 1st available is in a week !

that's the day after my appointment when the results would be needed

as it takes about 2mins to do each one they must be extremely busy !

ermm.gif

Did you tell them you have the appointment? That normally does the trick.

I have given up with the health service over here. For the cost of a meal out per month I put money aside to go private whenever me or my family need any health assistance. There's not a chance on this earth I would entrust the health of myself nor loved ones in the hands of this system. Good and well meaning people there may be who work in it but the whole thing is one big disorganised joke. A joke which isn't very funny.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 3

The Ramsey practice nurse will take blood for tests. Also the Cottage Hospital have turn up sessions.

The office staff may have some problems though. Mr A waited over a year for an appointment with the heart people. It seems that they had sent the appointment advice to an old address. Twice. So he was marked down as an non-attender. We had advised change of address.

But I have to say that having twice been admitted to Nobles in the last year or so, I have nothing but total praise for all the surgical, nursing and physio staff. I felt extremely fortunate in my treatment, especially when you read some of the problems encountered in the UK.

Its because the GP's are not doing them and referring everyone to the hospital for a blood test. Its fucking ridiculous

Yes, it is ridiculous. All GP's are qualified to take blood and most surgeries have daily collections/deliveries.

There's very probably a financial reason for this fiasco.

Maybe the resident clinician on here has a handle on it ...?