Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Hungry Harrison

Problems At Hospital

>...the cost of treating otherwise ignored conditions would make it "revenue negative".

But you may be able to diagnose a condition earlier. Perhaps, in the early stages, it may be able to treat diabetes via diet rather then medication.

From Paul Moulton's interviews:-

http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/74352/health-social-care-5-year-plan-1-

It doesn't look as though Minister Quayle is taking his own advice on eating healthily/exercising. It's just another Juan Watterson style declaration regarding "do what I say, and not what I do".

This isn't credible leadership.

So why not encourage (e.g. no claims discount, cheaper NI contributions for those with a healthy BMI, concessions for Weight Watchers, cheaper rates for the NSC, gym membership etc.) residents to live healthily, rather than have 'Jumbo' Quayle just trot out a few platitudes.

TBT.

Agree with that thought process entirely

I mentioned this to the NSC about their café some years ago

A lot of people using the NSC cafe are not involved in exercise at all.

I am in there about 5 times a week. They do have other food rather than just the "unhealthy" stuff. At the end of the day I can see why they provide the foods they do and it's up to individuals to eat in moderation. Some people would and do eat chips every day. You can't stop them. It's up to them.

• Like 2

Agree with that thought process entirely

I mentioned this to the NSC about their café some years ago

A lot of people using the NSC cafe are not involved in exercise at all.

I am in there about 5 times a week. They do have other food rather than just the "unhealthy" stuff. At the end of the day I can see why they provide the foods they do and it's up to individuals to eat in moderation. Some people would and do eat chips every day. You can't stop them. It's up to them.

I take your point but if you're going to have a push towards healthier eating then a café that is in a sports complex serving up sports nutrition geared foods would be a great place to start

People are entitled to eat chips all the time if they wish but a café in a sports centre does not have a requirement to serve chips, quite the opposite I'd say.

I understand your point but there is a reasonable choice at the NSC.

And sadly the cafe will need to contribute to the NSC's bottom like. You know how much people moan about every penny spent.

The NSC is a fabulous facility BTW.

• Like 1

the muffin woman tells me there is a big sign in the resturant at nobles that says ''there is no love greater than the love of food''.you can tell this is true by the size of some of the staff.

I understand your point but there is a reasonable choice at the NSC.

And sadly the cafe will need to contribute to the NSC's bottom like. You know how much people moan about every penny spent.

The NSC is a fabulous facility BTW.

I think the café is sub let so the people running it have no desire to do anything other than turn a profit

I'd love it if they set a mandate on the café and took it as a loss leader or investment in health of the population. You could use it as an educational tool and gear up meals specifically for the sports on offer at the NSC.

It's the difference between "just a café" and being a part of a change in mindset on nutrition

• Like 3

They used to do a nice pie'n'chips at the NSC...

It would be good to see an example set with the healthy food thing. It wouldn't suit the (profitable) childrens parties though.

• Like 1

the muffin woman tells me there is a big sign in the resturant at nobles that says ''there is no love greater than the love of food''.you can tell this is true by the size of some of the staff.

A fatuous comment ...ermm.gif

They used to do a nice pie'n'chips at the NSC...

I know what you're up to

• Like 1

All pain stops eventually (I'm kidding before anyone gets upset).

Isn't it only if you get divorced that the pain stops :)

(just kidding too)

• Like 1

"2000 followers ", yep nosey people like me who like a gory detail. :D I do feel bad for that person who fell over and banged her nose, then was kept waiting for so long that she went home and cleaned it up herself. How dare the hospital prioritise more urgent cases?