Problems At Hospital

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only way to get a better healthcare system is to invest more money into it, preferably coupled with competent management.   To give you two examples how it works here: My better half needed a tr

As nice as it is to talk to Mr Anderson, the buck has to stop somewhere and Mr Bell cannot expect to keep wrapping sticky tape and bubble-wrap around his chums as if to say, I helped you out there 'fe

"He is now seeking a meeting with Health Minister Jeremy Hunt, but has this stark warning for any other health professional thinking of blowing the whistle to protect their patients. ‘Don’t do it, be

Posted Images

Just for clarity. The reasons in my above post are why I am not happy to settle anymore for evolution. They have had 10yrs to evolve and it hasn't happened. So now is the time for our health care revolution.

+1 very well said in all 3 of the above posts I'm in it for the long haul, doesn't matter how long it takes, they will not win. they are on the back foot.

I am reliably informed that Phil is passionate in his support of whistleblowers.

See his blog:

http://drphilhammond.com/blog/?s=whistleblowing

The point is,that act will not be on the statute here,so whistle blowers won't be protected,that is why a lot of NHS staff will not risk it,so what protection is available to anybody wanting to expose these people?.

I am reliably informed that Phil is passionate in his support of whistleblowers.

See his blog:

http://drphilhammond.com/blog/?s=whistleblowing

The point is,that act will not be on the statute here,so whistle blowers won't be protected,that is why a lot of NHS staff will not risk it,so what protection is available to anybody wanting to expose these people?.

Safety in numbers. The more staff & patients prepared to stick together to demonstrate that what has happened/is happening is unacceptable means they will find it incredibly difficult to target any one specific indidual. As tax paying voting public, we can't keep accepting their silence and ignorance on this issue.

This may be one of the reasons why hospital staff should be very careful when challenging the system.

The modifications to the Rules of Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme 2011 are as follows:

1 Forfeiture

In Rule 71.3 of the Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme (1) For sub paragraph (b) substitute –

“(b) Treason; or”

(2) After sub paragraph (b) insert –

©

of an offence in connection with any employment to which this scheme applies, being an offence which is certified by a Minister or Chairman of a Department or Board of Government either to have been gravely injurious to the Isle of Man or to be liable to lead to a serious loss of confidence in the public service.

Tourist Bus Sinks With 30 People On Board

Twenty two people have been taken to hospital after an amphibious tourist bus sank in Liverpool in the second incident in recent months.

Bet their hospitals don't need to use this accident in the media to prove how wonderful they are!

• Like 1

This may be one of the reasons why hospital staff should be very careful when challenging the system.

The modifications to the Rules of Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme 2011 are as follows:

1 Forfeiture

In Rule 71.3 of the Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme (1) For sub paragraph (b) substitute –

“(b) Treason; or”

(2) After sub paragraph (b) insert –

©

of an offence in connection with any employment to which this scheme applies, being an offence which is certified by a Minister or Chairman of a Department or Board of Government either to have been gravely injurious to the Isle of Man or to be liable to lead to a serious loss of confidence in the public service.

So thats pretty clear. They can take your pension off you if a Minister agrees that whatever you did injures confidence in the public service. No wonder nobody whistle blows if the person you whistle blow to can nick your pension if the event you whistle blow about is big enough to spoil the reputation of government. I'd love to see that challenged in Court.

• Like 1

1 Forfeiture

In Rule 71.3 of the Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme (1) For sub paragraph (b) substitute

(b) Treason; or

(2) After sub paragraph (b) insert

©

So thats pretty clear. They can take your pension off you if a Minister agrees that whatever you did injures confidence in the public service. No wonder nobody whistle blows if the person you whistle blow to can nick your pension if the event you whistle blow about is big enough to spoil the reputation of government. I'd love to see that challenged in Court.

+1

So when the Health Minister/Chief Minister refuse to address serious patient safety problems at the hospital, despite calls from a large number of staff, seek external means to assist in their cause and the Ministers don't like this, they could steal their pensions. I'm sooooo pleased I brought my clinical skills to the IOM, where they're so valued. I'm more than aware there are problems in the UK. However, stealing your pension because you want a safer environment for your patients on the say so of less than blemish free Ministers isn't one if them. Remind me again, why do they have so many problems with recruitment and retention of staff? Absolutely outrageous!

Edited by revoemoc

@ wrighty, if things are so good, why as you said, "changes since the letter" only occurring now that these concerns have been made public. Why were they not acted upon in 2006, or in October when they were highlighted through the correct channels? And sorry but I have too much to lose than to approach you in person so you can go and broadcast my identity to the Halton mafia, sorry but the knives are out at present sad.png

I think you are missing the point Wrighty. Why has it taken all of this time for them to take action, it has been 8 months and nothing? Now because they are in the spotlight and at risk of losing there jobs 'changes are happening'. Whilst I applaud the work of those individuals who have worked tirelessly on plans during these 8months for the changes, I have no respect, confidence or trust in those people that I know blatantly lie, bully and intimidate their staff making their working lives virtually intolerable. Whether you believe the bullying 'insinuations or not, I know they are real, as many of the others who have sooken out do to. I would also suggest that you are probably unaffected by bullying & intimidation due to your seniority and personality, which is great, for you. I would like to thank you for your kind offer of assistance, but in this instance I'll decline.

I'm not missing a point. I too am disappointed at the pace of change - I fed back my recommendations for the 'workstreams' in January, after waiting about 6 weeks for someone to get back to me. Manx inertia is desperately frustrating.

I'm inclined to believe the bullying allegations. I am, currently, unaffected by them, but in the past I have been bullied by senior colleagues. Won't happen again, and even in the past I stood my ground (thanks to my personalitysmile.png ). I've also been accused of bullying and harrassment. I prevented a former colleague from doing operations he was clearly not competent to do, and he didn't like the way I went about it. The investigation found that I was acting in the interests of patient safety and the accusation was thrown out by the independent investigator.

@tameelf - Who are you referring to that I 'big up'? I'm neither clueless nor part of the problem. I do however have a broader picture of the hospital than people who feel they have been wronged by a specific consultant, and if someone is named as being a general problem when in fact he's had a specific complication, then I will use that 'broader picture' to defend such a person.

@geno - Why would I broadcast your identity to the 'Halton Mafia'? I'm not from Halton myself - all I know about the place was that as a plastic surgery SHO in 1997, I'd receive referrals from them as they were unable to deal with the most minor hand injuries. Trust who you like, but you've got nothing to worry about being open with me.

Please keep commenting wrighty, your posts are the most balanced in this whole thread.

• Like 1