Problems At Hospital

I agree with all the sentiments about improving care delivery, just not the methods being used, and the unfocussed approach to identifying solutions to problems. Certainly not the petty and vituperative comments that harm the cause their instigators seek to help.

Making out that the whole system is sh1t and corrupt and evil is a complete failure in dealing with these problems.

The way I see it, concerns were raised and the hospital has been trying to address them in its own arena. Leakers and posters here are engaging in politics of various hues, and harming trust where it should be correctly due in the parts of the health system that are in fact working for the people of the Isle of Man. This is causing further dis-ease, which is contrary to the ethics of healthcare.

Hmm.... so keeping up appearances is paramount then.......Safe and effective care can go take a hike....

+1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only way to get a better healthcare system is to invest more money into it, preferably coupled with competent management.   To give you two examples how it works here: My better half needed a tr

As nice as it is to talk to Mr Anderson, the buck has to stop somewhere and Mr Bell cannot expect to keep wrapping sticky tape and bubble-wrap around his chums as if to say, I helped you out there 'fe

"He is now seeking a meeting with Health Minister Jeremy Hunt, but has this stark warning for any other health professional thinking of blowing the whistle to protect their patients. ‘Don’t do it, be

Posted Images

I agree with all the sentiments about improving care delivery, just not the methods being used, and. Certainly not the petty and vituperative comments that harm the cause their instigators seek to help.

Making out that the whole system is sh1t and corrupt and evil is a complete failure in dealing with these problems.

The way I see it, concerns were raised and the hospital has been trying to address them in its own arena. Leakers and posters here are engaging in politics of various hues, and harming trust where it should be correctly due in the parts of the health system that are in fact working for the people of the Isle of Man. This is causing further dis-ease, which is contrary to the ethics of healthcare.

@Hermes

From the way you see it, what exactly are the 'concerns' that were raised and how has the hospital been trying to address these concerns 'in its own arena'?

Were the concerns valid?

It sounds to me that it is much more likely to be the Health Department and Hospital Managers / Clinical Mangers who have the 'unfocussed approach to identifying solutions to problems', rather than healthcare staff at the frontline raising concerns.

I agree with all the sentiments about improving care delivery, just not the methods being used, and the unfocussed approach to identifying solutions to problems. Certainly not the petty and vituperative comments that harm the cause their instigators seek to help.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/Raising_and_acting_on_concerns_about_patient_safety_FINAL.pdf_47223556.pdf

I think you should read this document to refresh your memory or maybe broaden your knowledge about ethics of healthcare.

Edited by minuteman

I find it positive to hear others peoples perspectives and also pleased Hermes, that you agree about the conviction about improving care delivery.

I understand your concern over the methods being used and being a person who strives to make things better for the people who pay my pay cheque at the end of the month, I personally believe that on the whole, we sell ourselves short.

Don't get me wrong, there's staff in here whether they're civil service or not, that would easily be snapped up for their professionalism, quality, care and work ethic by companies eager to provide even a fraction of their depth of experience, but still, there are issues within the hospital that are not right, are corrupt and I've seen far too many colleagues leave with a saddened heart.

The leakers as you put it, are an unfortunate type of by-product that has been created by the immense lack of underestimating the gravity of the situation and rather than pull someone up about the failings in particular areas, regardless if it's a best pal or that you've known the person for a long time, it is neatly tucked to one side as if the problem were irrelevant, or of no concern which through a lack of feedback, creates problems in itself as if demeaning the efforts staff put in to try and correct the lack of decision making.

This isn't about me, you, someone else, but this most certainly is about the failing of certain grouped individuals who for reasons of their own or through a lack of care or expertise, have slowly eroded the prime directive of organising efficient systems that motivate the workforce and to instil a sense of pride, drive and keenness towards our patients, but overall, the lack of concern and care for the people we treat in whatever capacity is something I cannot let go and whether the persons in charge sack me for doing what I believe is right, then so be it, as I know deep in my heart, I do this for the people who trust in the service I give.

In one way, I dread an independent review due to the embarrassment of the results, although I am somewhat sceptical to believe that the finalised report won't be watered down!

My concern is however, that some people will expect immediate results and if nothing happens within the week, will question and chase their own particular arena until blood has been spilt. I personally, only want things to be corrected, that staff are made to feel important in what they do, that they're not bullied or hounded, that they feel that when a concern is raised, that it's taken seriously and dependant on the seriousness of the concern, action will be taken to remedy the situation or to be at least informed that it's in a triage situation and that the seriously important things are done first, but this will be done in a specific time period.

Hermes, if you care for the people like I do and have strived to progress through inept, corrupt and damaging practises, then and only then, can you understand what really working for the Isle of Man truly entails. If you believe that no such improper practises exist, then I'm wasting my efforts talking to you, but if you can understand a certain medium of my perspective, then the ethics of healthcare will eventually be restored

Thanks for the sympathetic and measured view, Manxy. I am with you 100%.

Seems that some of the other posters have descended into blind hatred and offensive (and unprofessional) behaviour that is disturbing their judgement of which side I am on. I do not need to justify cautioning people who are healthcare professionals about their public conduct and use of hate-speech and threats that is further harming the image of healthcare providers as a whole. However, it is the job of their employers and professional bodies and the police to correct them over this, not me. I tried being a voice of reason when they started to lose the plot, and obviously wasted my time.

To business, then:

Perhaps in parallel to an independent review, a frank and honest appraisal and listening session that polls the opinions of all Noble's staff about how things should be run is equally important to consider. It appears that the channels of communication are dysfunctional and need addressing as a matter of the highest priority. An external review is never going to come to terms with the uniqueness of an island hospital, as has been apparent from repeated visitations over the years. CQQ has no remit, and has troubles of its own so it will be interesting to see who will be suitable. Perhaps Wrighty has something more to suggest about this?

The original complaints of a crisis can be viewed two ways: Either individual anxieties about care delivery are not being addressed adequately by management or there is actual demonstrable harm being caused that led to the anxieties. The complainants have not produced clear figures to demonstrate the case, but have expressed anxiety. There is a need to examine the complaint objectively.

I was under the impression that management have been trying to address this objectively, but some of you here obviously disagree.

Concerns about levels of staffing and supervision by suitably senior and qualified staff seem to be verbalised every day in the working life of the hospital, and these concerns are being passed on. However, the explanation of the resistance to sorting these issues out seems to consistently come being financial (ie - from those who control access to the public purse, rather than those tasked with coordinating healthcare delivery). That is the message I hear from management, who seem to be between the devil and the deep blue sea. I do not envy the position of them or the minister in is. People under terrible stress are often difficult to communicate with.

These problems have therefore been waiting to explode since moving to the new hospital. The service has grown beyond the scope or vision of our traditional ways of doing things, and a hospital that was already way over-budget at the time of moving in is now unsustainable unless the leaders of government do something to help put things right. It is new Nobles being run by Old Nobles.

It is right to question how overall budgetary constraint has led to this moment. The political buck has been stopping with the minister, nescessarily deflecting criticism from the legislature who presided over the plan to provide a big shiny new hospital without planning for the day when the system would start to fall apart.

Would it not be a good idea to correspond with other similar island hospitals to gain a fair comparison, and see what is done well elsewhere to imitate those particular models.

The smart people would take all the best things from each place so that we in theory could have a well run, patient centred, high morale, high standards in all things, harmonious hospital ratter than an entity hell bent in doing its own thing and allegedly failing.

One big thing that springs to mind and is and always has been a major concern of mine (it may well be as bad or even exist like this anymore) is that the orthopaedic dept do not communicate with the Physio dept and vice versa, they always have conflicting advice and saw each other as completely separate entities not linked in anyway. Surely something as obvious as being missed doesn't inspire confidence.

I appreciate that public no confidence in a hospital is detrimental in so many ways therefore all those concerned who have the power to do the right and proper thing must do it if it needs doing and do it now, what the hospital needs and what the public/patients need and what the staff need is strong leadership to steer the hospital on the right direction, if the right leadership is in place then confidence will be maintained as a course and vision and strategy will be evident for people to see rather than just drifting aimlessly.

Thanks for the sympathetic and measured view, Manxy. I am with you 100%.

Seems that some of the other posters have descended into blind hatred and offensive (and unprofessional) behaviour that is disturbing their judgement of which side I am on. I do not need to justify cautioning people who are healthcare professionals about their public conduct and use of hate-speech and threats that is further harming the image of healthcare providers as a whole. However, it is the job of their employers and professional bodies and the police to correct them over this, not me. I tried being a voice of reason when they started to lose the plot, and obviously wasted my time.

To business, then:

Perhaps in parallel to an independent review, a frank and honest appraisal and listening session that polls the opinions of all Noble's staff about how things should be run is equally important to consider. It appears that the channels of communication are dysfunctional and need addressing as a matter of the highest priority. An external review is never going to come to terms with the uniqueness of an island hospital, as has been apparent from repeated visitations over the years. CQQ has no remit, and has troubles of its own so it will be interesting to see who will be suitable. Perhaps Wrighty has something more to suggest about this?

The original complaints of a crisis can be viewed two ways: Either individual anxieties about care delivery are not being addressed adequately by management or there is actual demonstrable harm being caused that led to the anxieties. The complainants have not produced clear figures to demonstrate the case, but have expressed anxiety. There is a need to examine the complaint objectively.

I was under the impression that management have been trying to address this objectively, but some of you here obviously disagree.

Concerns about levels of staffing and supervision by suitably senior and qualified staff seem to be verbalised every day in the working life of the hospital, and these concerns are being passed on. However, the explanation of the resistance to sorting these issues out seems to consistently come being financial (ie - from those who control access to the public purse, rather than those tasked with coordinating healthcare delivery). That is the message I hear from management, who seem to be between the devil and the deep blue sea. I do not envy the position of them or the minister in is. People under terrible stress are often difficult to communicate with.

These problems have therefore been waiting to explode since moving to the new hospital. The service has grown beyond the scope or vision of our traditional ways of doing things, and a hospital that was already way over-budget at the time of moving in is now unsustainable unless the leaders of government do something to help put things right. It is new Nobles being run by Old Nobles.

It is right to question how overall budgetary constraint has led to this moment. The political buck has been stopping with the minister, nescessarily deflecting criticism from the legislature who presided over the plan to provide a big shiny new hospital without planning for the day when the system would start to fall apart.

It is unfortunate you didn't use this as your opening post, in my opinion you would have gained far more credibility. Instead you opened with your own accusatory inflammatory comments. Making wild suggestions that posters were political motivated, had individual agendas and of actually being responsible for any of the leaks. Therefore actually making your post no different to those of us you accused of damaging the reputation of the hospital.

Moving on from that, it is quite clear from this post you too realise there are serious prolems, as you state 'problems have therefore been waiting to explode since moving to the hospital'. This is obviously now the explosion you talk about. However you remain happy to continue using in-house methods and means which you state have not been working since the hospital opened. I personally do not understand this level of thinking not when lives are involved.

90+ vacancies is something the hospital management are in control of, the money is already there for those posts the management need to find ways/means of making working here attractive along with reducing the length of time it takes to appoint, at present this isn't done.

Where ever the problems sit whether politically or managerially, and I suggest it is a combination of both, they need to sort things out and fast. If visible shop floor changes had begun to happen 8 months ag,o I am fairly confident that we wouldn't be having this 'virtual' debate in public right now. Their inaction has forced this extremely unpleasant route for us all.

I know I am becoming repetitive but I am a nurse, not management or a politician and its all I want to do and well.

+1

As I said earlier, I welcome your input into the debate Hermes. However a number of posters have requested you perhaps establish which aspects of this thread you believe to be 'untrue' (hurtful though is unfortunately subjective) and provide evidence of their inaccuracies. If credible I'm sure as professionals this would be recognised. Although an interesting post, as yet you haven't demonstrated any. I look forward to further debate. I also find it bizarre that the 'police' are mentioned, absolutely nothing I on this thread would warrant police time? As I am no legal eagle, perhaps another more informed poster in this matter could clarify?

@Hermes

Perhaps if you had entered the debate with this sort of post others may not have seen fit to target you with nonsense posts, mine included. ( And its not all directed at you! ) ;)

What you call nonsense posts, some might call a criminal matter...

I've read about 5 of your posts and I thank the good lord I do not have to work with you, I don't know you but you're 'one of them' playing the big I am then turning it round, the world is full of people like you and it's not a better place because of it.

• Like 4