Help Needed To Purchase Laptop For Xmas

My mum has expressed an interest in having a laptop - so my family and I have decided to purchase one for a Christmas present hug.gif

I'm hoping that someone on here can help as I am seriously out of my depth on finding a suitable one!

The basic requirements need to be: Fast internet connection, lightweight and basically bomb proof for an OAP.

She would only really use it for the internet so no fancy background applications needed, although if there was a 'print option' available that would save me loads time running down to see what she's found!

It doesn't need to connect to NASA, which is basically what the sales people are telling me about each one they are trying to sell me crying.gif

Also she can't use a tablet as I tried that after a salesman told me that you cannot get viruses on a tablet!

Really stuck any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

HP 650

B970 Processor

15.6" HD Screen

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

6GB RAM

320GB HDD

HDMI

DVD Rewriter

£280

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/HP_650_1302826.html

Toshiba Satellite C870-11H

17.3 inch screen

Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz

4GB RAM

640GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium

USB 3.0

£330 via Amazon Warehouse

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007XERCH0

Edited by Virtual_Boy

Thank you both! I appreciate it very much, I have looked at them all briefly and will pass them on to my siblings.

Virtual_boy, I could not get anything from your last link, although I did get enough to try and find more information.

Again greatly appreciated!

Edit

Just a thought, this laptop is between 5 off us and therefore price is not really an option for this, our mum is special and the best just won't do - we need something that she can use easily, which may not be the cheapest option.

Cheers

Edited by Yin & Yang

maybe consider something which can have an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse if the normal lappy keyboard is small and fiddly, I have a HP mini netbook and I use a bluetooth mouse which makes life much easier than the touch pad

maybe work out is it the screen or keyboard which are the hardest for her to use and choose accordingly

(add plug-in bigger screen ?)

I suggest:

• 17.3" screen - old eyes
  • i3 CPU - the Celeron chips can chug a bit
  • HDMI connection - to use a TV or external monitor should the need aroise due to older eyes
  • Toshiba or ACER - reliable stuff
  • External keyboard - I use Cherry
  • External mouse - wireless
  • Later - a cheap laser printer

I think that this is a perfect niche for Windows 8 on a tablet, with addon keyboard etc.

Windows 8 tiles would be perfect as they are big, bold and easy to setup.

I think that this is a perfect niche for Windows 8 on a tablet, with addon keyboard etc.

Windows 8 tiles would be perfect as they are big, bold and easy to setup.

Was thinking the same thing - the Mum Use Case is more likely to be about consumption of media rather than creation, which suits a tablet. The Surface RT tablets look good, although there are reports of poor quality with the keyboard/covers, falling apart quite quickly.

...but then regarding Surface RT tablet setup, I just read this on ZDNet:

The out of box experience started out great with the Surface, with a simple log into my Windows Live account getting things underway. I was then faced with updating the tablet since a firmware update had just been released addressing some problems. This went much the same as on Windows PCs of old, with the 11 updates taking a good while to complete. The system required two reboots along the way.

Once those updates were complete I was then faced with updating the Office 2013 Preview that was preinstalled...I had to search for the method to get this updated. It turned out you have to find the Control Panel to get this update. Not the Windows Update in the Metro interface, this was reached in settings and kicked me to the desktop interface.

Not good if this one reviewer's experience is common - especially if you're not the most teach-aware of users.

I would advise, popping down to the local IStore. My partners dad wishes he had bought a macbook now rather than a laptop and they are more user-friendly (why they used them in schools).

If you find macs are to expensive and want a windows laptop pop-up to currys or waltons they will point you in the right direction.

Regards

Tony