The Shot School Girl Malala Yousafzai

I realize this is old news, but the plight of Malala Yousafzai is so tragic I do think it should be a rallying point for all people opposed to violent religious bigotry.

Malala is the blogging school girl who wrote a diary about life under the Pakistani Taliban. She campaigned for her right to receive an education, something the Taliban denied her; and as a result was shot in the head.

Shortly afterwards campaigners put up a petitionfor her work for Women's Rights to be recognized via the Nobel Peace Prize. I've signed it!

Now she has been nominated by Time for their Person of the Year award.

For me her plight creates such a stark contrast between those freely seeking to be educated and those violently enforcing Religious Dogma it really should be a shibboleth for moral behaviour.

Malala's treatment by violent religious thuggery was, for me, an act of obvious barbarity about which, I hope, any decent person would be able to take a clear stand no matter their religious belief.

For someone to assume the moral right to attack her is a monstrous, immoral, indecent act - the world should take a stand against such behaviour. She was shot because she wished to learn and spoke up for that right. For that and no other reason.

Such violence has to be opposed loudly and publicly. The symbolism of recognizing this is, for me, vitally important.

Please sign the petition and vote for Malala.

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 1

This is a noble cause, Chinahand. The only problem is that those who attempt to enforce their religious bigotry on others, in this case the Taleban, will take not a blind bit of notice of our bleeding hearts in the west. And let's face it, other than within the ideaological vacuum of islam, it's not usually a problem. I don't think i've ever read/heard of a christian, or jewish, or hindu or sikh/zoroastrian/amish/mormon etc. etc., version of such barbarism. We could do more by keeping the prevalence of so-called 'honour' crimes in our own country, by backward-looking thuggery, on a higher profile. Malalla survived, and may become a figurehead in the quest for change and enlightenment, but the misery is much closer to home and each year women, and some men die horrible deaths or suffer menacing subjugation, lifelong, under the guise of religion.

I can't see this petition making much difference at source.

A bigot has to realise and accept, with humility, that he or she is a bigot, to begin with. Definitely an up-hill task, even more-so, in a society like Pakistan/Afghanistan/Iran and many (usually Islamic) countries where illiteracy and ignorance are more commonplace.

ETA.... However, i'll sign it on the off chance it'll do some good...

Edited by quilp

This is a noble cause, Chinahand. The only problem is that those who attempt to enforce their religious bigotry on others, in this case the Taleban, will take not a blind bit of notice of our bleeding hearts in the west. And let's face it, other than within the ideaological vacuum of islam, it's not usually a problem. I don't think i've ever read/heard of a christian, or jewish, or hindu or sikh/zoroastrian/amish/mormon etc. etc., version of such barbarism. We could do more by keeping the prevalence of so-called 'honour' crimes in our own country, by backward-looking thuggery, on a higher profile. Malalla survived, and may become a figurehead in the quest for change and enlightenment, but the misery is much closer to home and each year women, and some men die horrible deaths or suffer menacing subjugation, lifelong, under the guise of religion.

I can't see this petition making much difference at source.

A bigot has to realise and accept, with humility, that he or she is a bigot, to begin with. Definitely an up-hill task, even more-so, in a society like Pakistan/Afghanistan/Iran and many (usually Islamic) countries where illiteracy and ignorance are more commonplace.

ETA.... However, i'll sign it on the off chance it'll do some good...

It is though just more than possible that behind all this bigotry based on religion/politics, are those who are simply 'real bad asses' (psycopaths) using the excuse of religion/politics to do 'real bad ass things' pretending it's about religious/political differences.

It happened in Nothern Ireland, a lot of it was about local gang wars and local nutcases doing their thing. Not necessarily based on religious OR political disputes.

Edited by Sentience

Quite possibly.

So that would be catholic psychopaths and, er, protestant psychopaths? Can't see that there's much in the way of middle-ground/grey-areas when it relates to the Northern Irish 'problem'. And it goes on still over there.

But that's another story...

yeah, old news. I've been following the story for a while, left a message and made a donation (I'm not manx)

She is an amazing girl, she was shot in the middle of her exams and apparently one of he first things she asked for when she came round was her school books because she needed to study for her second paper.

Also her father is a great man. Not only for raising a girl like Malala but he runs one of the few schools in the area that allows girls to study there.

Does make you think when you see fat chavs boycotting schools because they dont serve chips

• 7 months later...

Malala Yousafzai's petition for children's rights

Click on the highlighted link below and please sign.

On 15 June fourteen girls were murdered in Pakistan simply because they wanted aneducation. Many people know my story but there are stories every day of childrenfighting for an education. The basic right to education is under attack around the world. We need change nowand I need your help to achieve it.You can help me and girls and boys across the world. We are asking the UnitedNations General Assembly to fund new teachers, schools, books and recommit togetting every girl and boy in school by December 2015.This July 12th is my 16th birthday and I am personally delivering this petition tothe United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon:I became a victim of terrorism after I spoke out in favour of education of girls.These innocent girls killed in Pakistan have nothing to do with politics and onlywanted to empower themselves through education.If we want to bring change, if we want progress, if we want development, if we wantthe education of girls, we should be united. We should not wait. We should do itnow.Please join me and sign my petition to end the education emergency:Thank you,Malala http://chn.ge/1a8shZt
Edited by Lisenchuk