Gas Prices Am I Misunderstanding ?

asitis

A unit is normally kWh, which is a unit of energy.

I figured it must be worked out on a calorific value or LPG users are in clover, however reading the leaflet further LPG in bulk tanks and large bottles has fallen by about 20% so there cannot be any background adjustment to that ?

The only valid facts on the leaflet are that more of the island is being converted to NG. The cost of NG is increasing by more than inflation, again.

storage of 'towns gas' is being phased out or at least scaled down, so for the time being those on this fuel will be a bit better off.

For the majority it's a price hike

Didn't the price of gas go up earlier this year by 8%,now we are getting another rise on the 1st January,have to check my bills,but I'm sure it did,time for our wonderful OFT to put their heads above the trench and congratulate Manx Gas for making sure we pay more,and ensure the extra VAT to Government,and there is nearly £1million there in the kitty to pay for the OFT,so they can go on supporting these monopolies.

• Like 2

The statement "every gas central heating customer pays the same for their energy regardless of what tye of gas they are supplied with or where they live" is actually incorrect.

MG have confirmed that the calorific value difference will remain thus meaning LPG is still much more expensive than natural gas. True the unit rate is reducing by some 25%, but it has already been much lower in 2008 when the unit rate for LPG was actually less expensive than NG!

Disapointing after all the hype and highly irritating radio advertisements.

I forcast a overall tarriff increase by April 2013, along with a rise in the standing charge, after all WE have to pay for this!

The statement "every gas central heating customer pays the same for their energy regardless of what tye of gas they are supplied with or where they live" is actually incorrect.

MG have confirmed that the calorific value difference will remain thus meaning LPG is still much more expensive than natural gas. True the unit rate is reducing by some 25%, but it has already been much lower in 2008 when the unit rate for LPG was actually less expensive than NG!

Disapointing after all the hype and highly irritating radio advertisements.

I forcast a overall tarriff increase by April 2013, along with a rise in the standing charge, after all WE have to pay for this!

Well it is correct. Gas is billed in units of energy derived from the volume consumed, not the actual volume itself hence the calorific value of the gas used to convert to kWh.

By volume LPG is much more expensive than natural gas, but the statement concerns itself with the cost of the energy, not the cost of the raw material from which the energy is derived so their statement is perfectly correct.

The calorific value means LPG appliances burn significantly less volume of gas compared to natural gas appliances to acheive the same results.

It is billed in the same units calculated in the same way as before so the only difference in real terms is the unit price. If you're going to be pedantic about it then yes, you're paying more per volume of gas with LPG but pay the same per unit of useful energy.

Well i was chatting to one of the engineers when they converted us and he said the govt was paying for the conversion.

So why does it say on the leaflet that the gas increase is to pay for the conversion, are we paying twice again?

And also why are houses not built with a fireplace anymore ?

At least with a fire you could burn an old pallet or a few logs to offset the gas heating.

Well i was chatting to one of the engineers when they converted us and he said the govt was paying for the conversion.

So why does it say on the leaflet that the gas increase is to pay for the conversion, are we paying twice again?

And also why are houses not built with a fireplace anymore ?

At least with a fire you could burn an old pallet or a few logs to offset the gas heating.

or the stairs and every other floor board !

Wind Farms [inside Manx Territorial Waters] and all over the Islands hills, Oil Wells on and off the Island, [the oil to be piped direct to England for their use]. Refineries on selected Island 'Beauty Spots'. This will create thousands of jobs for the future. How is that for a 'dream' Mr Bell. I am of course assuming you have not thought of it yourself. Silly me

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my gas bill today, as I suspected the net result of all the smoke and mirrors crap is a significant rise over the same period as last year ! no such thing as a free lunch, price decrease yes but you need far more of the stuff to give you the same result. ! Think I will go to bottled LPG and get a real reduction not the BS.

Edited by asitis