So Which Is Your Greatest Rock Band?

Saw various bands in the 70s in concert such as Led Zep, Tull, Queen, Quo (same night Queen were the support band!) Free, Beefheart, Pink Floyd etc etc and the only band to be able to get near the studio sound (with all its dozens of retakes) was Pink Floyd, so that would have to be the one. Seeing David Gilmour on 50 years of the Strat took me back to that amazing concert at the old Free Trade Hall in 1972. Go on, have a listen, it's only 7 minutes of your life unless you stay for Hank Marvin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXEgIVCteY

The biggest disappointment was Led Zeppelin at Trentham Gardens in 1973 but I think they had excessive intake of substances that night so it may have been a one-off.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quill.

Queen - for Freddie's frontmanship and vocals, and Brian May's guitar orchestrations Rainbow with Dio on vox - best heavy rock voice ever in my opinion Pink Floyd - for the sound variations and musi

greatest rock band for me is Rush. To have stood the test of time, adapted to musical changes over the decades and still be going after 40 years with a massive fan base makes them the one for me. Ot

John Coghlan was Quo's drummer I think

Aah, John 'Four Wheels on the Road' Coghlan. There were some high jinks with him one night in the Brit ending with him picking up my friend and sitting her on top of the wall mounted fag machine!

John Coghlan was Quo's drummer I think

Aah, John 'Four Wheels on the Road' Coghlan. There were some high jinks with him one night in the Brit ending with him picking up my friend and sitting her on top of the wall mounted fag machine!

Coughlan, that's him. Not the most accomplished drummer but he did the job required of him. He's probably a little bald old man now, prostate as big as a football and the memory of a goldfish.

He used to turn-up and er, 'turn-on' at DH's sometimes for the sunday afternoon jam-session. Once the essential 3 chords had been played that was his lot. Funny man though, lots of Quo stories. Liked him....

There were loads of rock-stars here back then. Gavin Sutherland, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, that fat little drummer from Black Sabbath, can't remember his name, could be spotted haunting some of the local night-spots. AC/DC recorded an album in a hotel on the prom, they were ok guys. The two Pete's from 'Go West' stayed for a while.

Those were the days....

Loads of great bands listed but bringing things into the 80's and 90's you would have to consider the original line up of Guns'n'Roses. Live performances were breathtaking shows of musicality and the songs will live on as rock anthems for generations to come. Tried to cover many of them in my band days and they are exceptionally difficult.

Didn't know that about AC/DC. Can you remember which album it was?

I wasn't really into them in those days but it would've been '80/81. There is a mention of it on the back of the album. What i do remember is that it was the 'Good Companions' on the prom. The dining-room had been emptied and the recording equipment; desk, tape machine etc had been set up and the crew were shaping the drum sound. At this time i worked for 'Partingtons', delivering and installing tv's and video-players which the entourage wanted setting-up in various rooms. I'm also reliably informed that after Bon Scott's death, they auditioned a few vocalists in the basement of the 'Milnes' hotel, further up the prom, then owned by one John Bell. That may've been around the same year but i can't be sure but it could date the album. The vinyl edition. Be nice if someone could find this, i'll have a hunt around myself....

Quilp , the fat little drummer from Sabbath , Bill Ward ?

Following up on what cropduster was saying , was lucky enough to catch Guns n Roses on the Use Your Illusion tour with Faith No More and Soundgarden supporting , absolutely brilliant gig , much as he is an obnoxious little twat Axl Rose is also an excellent frontman . Was the first real gig I went to and even now after many many more it's up with the best I've been to . Metallica are another brilliant live act just a shame that some of their recent albums haven't matched their pre Load stuff . A band that I'm well into but never quite made the big time The Wildhearts some great lyrics & a great combination of heavy as lead riffs with great catchy hooks .

Bringing things further up to date Rammstein whilst not to everyones taste they very much follow the tradition of rock bands having a great stage spectacle to go with the music , saw them in Dublin in February , awesome stage show very pyro heavy but a fair bit of fun and theatrics too and backed up with very tight musicianship and Till Lindemann as a very accomplished showman .

Honourable mentions to Iron Maiden , Aerosmith , AC/DC , Black Sabbath . Been lucky enough to see all of them live and it's easy to see why they have lasted as long as they have , plain and simple they are all excellent musicians & have good frontmen and know how to entertain a crowd or make a good album . Granted there have been a few crap albums by some of the aforementioned bands but in the grand scheme of things they've had careers lasting best part of 30 years or more something I can't see any of the winners of X factor doing .

Led Zepplin is my favorite rock band. I'm hoping to get "Celebration" for Christmas. I've given enough hints.

My mate's daughter was lucky enough to see their performance at the O2 and now has a ZOZO tattoo. I saw them at Alexander Palace just before Christmas 1972 for the princely sum of £1. We all sat on the floor for their accustic set. The 4th LP had been released earlier.

The best live band was The Faces, a good time band who entertained as well as having great music

Worst gig was Isaac Hayes at Sheperd's Bush just before he died. He clearly was not well and his numbers were stretched out for 15 mins at a time. After Soul man and Shaft we left for the nearest pub