Government It Costs £6,000 A Day

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-it-costs-6-000-a-day-1-5213456

GOVERNMENT’S information systems division (ISD) came under close scrutiny amid concern over the high level of payments for staff from one company – Intelligence Limited.

Payments from the ISD – which provides information/communication technology across government – have totalled £8m over the last five years – which equates to £6,000 per day.

Tynwald’s Public Account Committee called Allan Paterson, who retired as director of ISD after 10 years in the role, in for questioning.

It came after an internal audit by the division, which is part of the Department of Economic Development, revealed the scale of the spending. The audit also showed about seven Intelligence staff worked at the ISD on a daily basis.

So...an 'Intelligent' decision or more money wasting BS?

Somehow reminds me of Dilbert, though. The episode where Wally resigns from the company and gets rehired as a consultant on more money. That's what the bit about "Headcount limit...so we hired external" feels like.

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You only have to look at who the Chairman of Intelligence is:   "John Webster left his position as Isle of Man Government's Economic Adviser in 1988 to develop his own business. Since then, he has f

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-it-costs-6-000-a-day-1-5213456   GOVERNMENT’S information systems division (ISD) came under close scrutiny amid concern over the high level

My point was that i) ISD 's budget won't show the true cost and ii) those other departments are indeed using public money, but forced to by the system with no choice but to pay exhorbitant fees for a

In their defence, you could argue that by not employing staff directly, they avoid the super high redundancy payments that have previously been given as reason for lack of job cuts, plus pension payments, benefits, etc... If it's a third party provider and you don't feel like needing them anymore, it's boot up their backside and shut the door.

You only have to look at who the Chairman of Intelligence is:

"John Webster left his position as Isle of Man Government's Economic Adviser in 1988 to develop his own business. Since then, he has founded and continues to be actively involved with Intelligence"

Of course on this Island to get lucrative business contracts it's not what you know...

• Like 2

In 2009 the Uk gov spent £20 million a day on IT.

£6000 sounds cheap as chips.

Per capita, the Isle of Man spends almost three times as much as the UK then.

Have you got that right? Based on those figures it looks like UK spends 3 times as much per capita

Beggars belief - but this explains why the staff in other government departments continually complain about the cost they are charged (it is apparently those other departments that have to pay for ISD's blatant disregard for public money) - while also apparently complaining that the service doesn't support their departments' needs.

From what I've heard it sounds as if ISD are simply either incompetent or afraid they might make a mistake and get caught out, so farm out to external consultants, but they don't worry about cost because it doesn't cost them.

Now consider this: ISD was in Treasury until a couple of years ago, and Treasury (and/or ISD) wrote the rules that require all gov departments to do things the way that support ISD... Another case for Internal Audit if there ever was one.

Beggars belief - but this explains why the staff in other government departments continually complain about the cost they are charged (it is apparently those other departments that have to pay for ISD's blatant disregard for public money) - while also apparently complaining that the service doesn't support their departments' needs.

Of course those other departments are using public money too!

It's hardly ISD though, is it? It's the boss of ISD, who has now left. Smarts to me of shutting the stable door after the horse has gone. I've been trying to find out who the ISD person who went to New York on a "fact finding mission" was, it was mentioned in a hansard recently, apparently they found "this could work for the IOM Govt", I thought AP was ok, I might be changing my opinion of him.

Of course those other departments are using public money too!

My point was that i) ISD 's budget won't show the true cost and ii) those other departments are indeed using public money, but forced to by the system with no choice but to pay exhorbitant fees for a service they wouldn't choose if given the freedom to have IT services fit for their business needs rather than what ISD stipulates.

• Like 1

It's hardly ISD though, is it? It's the boss of ISD, who has now left. Smarts to me of shutting the stable door after the horse has gone. I've been trying to find out who the ISD person who went to New York on a "fact finding mission" was, it was mentioned in a hansard recently, apparently they found "this could work for the IOM Govt", I thought AP was ok, I might be changing my opinion of him.

Well, actually it is ISD, even if led that way by its director. Sadly even if solely due to that individual it taints the name and the staff of that division, even if to a man/woman the staff are brilliant IT professionals and objected to the policy - though in the latter case they could have 'whistle-blown' if they felt strongly enough. Interesting to see if now with director gone the staff will be vociferous with condemnation and willingness/demand for change both before and when they get a new head.

One wonders what high level overview smokescreen, collusion or indifference was in place in the two departments concerned for this policy to have been accepted...

• Like 1