Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
cropduster

Increasing The Class Divides....?

Do you think that the gap between the clever and the thick is increasing?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

During a heated discussion over the weekend regarding the re-emergence of the classes in society, it was suggested that with the additional costs for students to continue with their education, including the average cost of the a US degree course costing $150k, that not only with the class divide increase between those that have and those that have not, but the divide will start appearing between those that are educated and those that are not.

As a kid, there were far fewer students that went on to higher education because of this. It seemed to have evened out with almost all 6th form students going on - but now that seems to be in jeopardy.

What do you think - will we see two separate but related divides in class in years to come - those that have and are, and those that have not and aren't?huh.png

Other than creating 'class' in the sense of one group who have gone to uni and another who have not I don't really see what you mean. In anything other than layman terms referring to ideals and salary, class refer to relationships to methods of production.

To be honest, of late I have found that the "youth" are more qualified or certificated than they were before regarding the amount of people with bits of paper, however the vast majority seem to have a distinct lack of other skills insomuch as they can't even do their job diligently and a severe lack of common sense and initiative.............even the clever ones are left wanting, as my dear old Grandma used to say..."educated wallies".

The above is a sweeping generalisation of course and I accept that there will be individuals who excel in all areas. I'm unsure as to whether social media and the use of google to answer any questions they have but I do know this, that most are more interested in what Cheryl "frickin" Cole is doing/dating/wearing than current world affairs, now this may be out and out escapism but if you dilute it with X factor, take me out and any other shite you'll find a generation of self-obsessed, low self-esteemed, individuals who'll need therapy in later years.

Just my opinion and I'm quite happy to be corrected.

Like Matt & Alibaba, I think the world is getting to be a dumber place, everybody needing a nanny state to look after them, endless garbage on tv to enthrall the masses etc. Common sense just isn't anymore. And so on ...

Like Matt & Alibaba, I think the world is getting to be a dumber place, everybody needing a nanny state to look after them, endless garbage on tv to enthrall the masses etc. Common sense just isn't anymore. And so on ...

But which came first? The nanny state or the dumbing down?

But which came first? The nanny state or the dumbing down?

I guess that is academic now ... they both seem to be here to stay ....

I thought class was a different entity from intelligence?

i.e. Tim Nice But Dim

Intelligence you are born with and circumstances dictate how you use it. Class is something you gain. or not.

i.e. Tim Nice But Dim

Intelligence you are born with and circumstances dictate how you use it. Class is something you gain. or not.

But that's what I'm saying, as a member of a higher class you will be able to afford to have your children educated. As a member of a lower class with less disposable income you will either not be able to afford the education or go into debt doing so. There are some children that, given the opportunity, can increase their intelligence. If they are not given that opportunity then surely the void will become greater?

We didn't have an answer but I wanted to throw it out there as I thought that it was an interesting statement and was interested to hear what others thought.

...but I do know this, that most are more interested in what Cheryl "frickin" Cole is doing/dating/wearing than current world affairs, now this may be out and out escapism but if you dilute it with X factor, take me out and any other shite you'll find a generation of self-obsessed, low self-esteemed, individuals who'll need therapy in later years.

Welcome to the good 'ole US of A

The opium of the masses?

i.e. Tim Nice But Dim

But that's what I'm saying, as a member of a higher class you will be able to afford to have your children educated. As a member of a lower class with less disposable income you will either not be able to afford the education or go into debt doing so. There are some children that, given the opportunity, can increase their intelligence. If they are not given that opportunity then surely the void will become greater?

We didn't have an answer but I wanted to throw it out there as I thought that it was an interesting statement and was interested to hear what others thought.

Intelligence and education are two different things. You are right in suggesting that the government's proposals risk making higher education the preserve of the rich, intelligence however like morality is not (disproportionately not in my experience) and never will be regardless of what the government do.