http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-man-held-1-100-indecent-pictures-of-children-1-1773899

Was reading this today, and thought to myself, given the gravity, ie the amount and grading of pictures and the obviously predatory nature (considering the nursery applications) and being considered a 'significant risk to children in the long term' i was quite shocked at what I perceive as a lenient sentence, in comparison to for example someone who may be just over the alcohol limit going to prison? I mean, being on a sex offenders register does not stop this sort of predatory paedophile from offending...I fear for what this boy is capable of....if he is this bad at 19 or 20 the escalation prospects are terrifying.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest ldv, I don't know...as a mother of three kids the knee jerk reaction is to lock them away..forever....how do you help someone so depraved? I don't know? It just worries me that this boy

Look, he's only young, he's learned a lesson and he won't do it again. Now can we brush it under the carpet without any consequences and move on? (This seemed acceptable as an apology this time last

Hang the cunts - there are to many of them hiding away on the island. When I catch up with him I will knock his teeth out.   Your all to soft - your a pedo you deserve to be hung by the neck.   Ev

To be honest ldv, I don't know...as a mother of three kids the knee jerk reaction is to lock them away..forever....how do you help someone so depraved? I don't know? It just worries me that this boy is obviously not well, and I would hate that this decision results in a child being damaged beyond repair, it just horrifies me....

Edit to add.....I think met you ldv, a month or so ago....if it was you...given your degree decision for your intended career choice and the the reality check about what governments are really about, I now understand your point of view in some of your posts. If it was not you, I met a very intelligent, opinionated, educated and nice young man who I envisioned would be you, if your name was Sam..if it was you I apologise for not shaking your hand, but I am germ phobic and was full of a cold!

Edited by We Like The Moon
  • Like 1

Forever? That would be impractical and unfair. Say you wanted to punish and get that over and done with then that leaves prevention. But is it right to prevent the possibility by locking someone away in a prison for forever? No it isn't, not unless they pose a continuing risk and then a prison would not be the proper place to send someone as that is the place for punishment and doesn't even allow limited freedoms. If what is desired is to prevent child abuse by removing the paedophile then you ought to do that whilst still allowing that person to have as much freedom as possible. You just need to find a way of preventing exposure to children.

If paedophilia is sickness then it ought to be cured. (Although I don't think it really is a sickness).

Yeah, I don't know.

Does imprisoning someone stop predatory paedophile behaviour?

What a ridiculous question.

Yes, of course it does. That is what a prison is for, to keep offenders away from society and make us safe from them. I would add that the Isle of Man Courts have some pretty shameful history of cutting prison sentences short in particularly nasty violence cases.........only for the defendant to do the same again. And again.

( I can provide case law and press reports, if anybody is that interested)

Yes, of course it does. That is what a prison is for, to keep offenders away from society and make us safe from them. I would add that the Isle of Man Courts have some pretty shameful history of cutting prison sentences short in particularly nasty violence cases.........only for the defendant to do the same again. And again.

( I can provide case law and press reports, if anybody is that interested)

I just want to be clear on this Carbon, are you advocating that he should spend the rest of his life in prison?

manxy, to answer your question in forum style:

Maybe. Perhaps strung up by his toes. Or his knackers.*

But I have to admit that I have had a couple of pints and just right now the world seems all rather black and white.

* but only if certain members of the judiciary were also likewise strung up.

http://www.iomtoday....ldren-1-1773899

Was reading this today, and thought to myself, given the gravity...i was quite shocked at what I perceive as a lenient sentence...

Does everyone realise that this is four and a half years old? (No, I don't know why it suddenly appeared on the 'most read' sidebar either - it confused me for a while too).

I suspect he got off without a jail sentence because of his youth, because he didn't make any of the images and because not many were of the worst variety (the article says only 1% were at 'level 5'). So it may be that most of this was due to the usual teenage boy's obsession with things that are 'gross'. Though the applications to nurseries and the failure to admit blame would worry me a bit.

You would hope that he would get some treatment while on probation (and the same would have applied if he'd been sent to prison), but given that actually providing practical help (rather than writing reports about it) seems to low down government priorities...

Thank you, Mr Fucking Obvious. I am well aware if someone is in a prison they can't do anything, but I am also applying some thinking of the practicalities in the real world here.

You lock away someone for two, five, or ten years it would only offer prevention for that period. Once someone is out of gaol then there is no prevention.

And you have to make the distinction between the reasons for prison: punishment, deterrence and prevention. Prisons only really exist to punish and in practice that is the only effective thing they can do.

(I didn't realise the newspaper article was so old and just saw today's at top of item, what's the point of dragging it up.....anyway.....)

LDV, 'prevention' eh.

Not too long ago and probably before you were born a teenager committed a serious and unexpected act of violence against a woman he had befriended. He even left her for dead although I believe that certainly until quite recently she was still alive.

The teenager was put in some care unit or whatever but on his release he attacked another woman. The details of the attack would not be out of place in a Hollywood horror movie and it was only by chance that the woman was not killed. In court the matter was pontificated on and of course the do-gooders and psychiatrists and all that, got involved. He was (quite rightly imo) sentenced to life but 'they' managed to have it cut down to a definte term sentence so the bloke would have something to look forward to and they said that this would be 'good for him'.

He was eventually released. And - I don't mean to be flippant but yep, you've guessed it - carried out another horrific attack and attempted to kill a young woman.

Now in this particular matter I don't give a damn about punishmnet and deterrence, for the sake of our society I don't want to see that guy walking about our streets ever again. But I am sure that those highly paid professionals who 'know better' will no doubt let him out.

Yet again.

Apologies for drifting off topic a bit but these things sometimes need to be said.

Look, he's only young, he's learned a lesson and he won't do it again. Now can we brush it under the carpet without any consequences and move on?

(This seemed acceptable as an apology this time last year, so thought it might work again)

And how many buses has Juan been sick on in the last 12 months? Success !!!

(censorship, on the other hand, have been regurgitating the topic rather a lot tongue.png)