Living On The Island Or Living In The Uk?

Snowflake

It depends what interests you and what part of the UK you compare the Island against. On the Island you have easy access to the countryside for walking, hiking etc. Youalso have a lot of history compacted into a very small area covering a long time period from thee Vikings to the Victorians.

There is greater access to the Politicians and lower rates of crime.

Depends what you want out of life, if you're content cruising along claiming benefits and not working then here is best. In UK you would be assessed and lose money if you can't really prove your need. Don't get me wrong, there are people in genuine need and couldn't cope otherwise but there are some slackers.

Here everybody knows everybody else and it takes a lot to prove yourself worthy of support and help. There is a tendency to sit back on your arse and wait for things to come to you, instead of getting out there and finding that support/work. Something that we would do well to import from the UK, luckily there are plenty of immigrants to do that instead of being idle by choice.

Overall it's what you make it, there is no automatic right to being successful just because you were born here and know the local postman well, something that will show now we are in the shit.

Stay here and enjoy the benefits of living in one of the nicest and quietest places in the northern hemisphere and stop whinging.

If you don't like it you know where the ferry is.

Can you give me some good reasons as to why the Isle of Man is better than/preferable to/far exceeds living in the UK?

Hmm.. depends on what you want in life. We are going to move house, but I am still torn between staying here and moving across. As far as across goes, I like the fact that you can get to many more things (shows etc), onward travel is far easier, things are generally cheaper, you don't have to pay extortionate amounts for delivery. I don't like the levels of crime, the amounts of traffic, the monstrous wasting of taxpayers money, the superficial side of life etc. For the island, I prefer the simple (ish) tax system, the wonderful scenery, the ease of getting around. I think I would prefer the island to be double it's size so it was 'less claustrophobic'.

However, if we moved to, say Camarthenshire, we would get most of the benefits of the UK, with few of the downsides, and still get stunning scenery etc.

It's a choice only you can make .....

However, if we moved to, say Camarthenshire, we would get most of the benefits of the UK, with few of the downsides, and still get stunning scenery etc. It's a choice only you can make .....

Wales is beautiful - I was at Bangor university, lived on Anglesey. Very nice people, as you say stunning scenery and you're not 'stuck on the rock', or better said you don't have to put up with FlyBe & Ma. Reynolds.

A possible advantage of living in Wales compared to the island is that children may not end up so insular, also it's a true bi-lingual area.

Quickly browses for a house on Anglesey...

I miss the cheaper food, fuel and being able to just go to a big concert for example after work, or just getting up 3 hours before a big flight to USA and driving to the airport, and again on the way back just getting in my car and driving home. Also miss the culture of "going the footy every saturday" too. Oh and Also the variety of shops and the colour in the shops too as everyone wears balck over here so miserable!!

Like mentioned above though, I dont miss the crime rate, I was burgled really badly last year. I dont miss my commute either, 40 minutes each way on train or 90 minutes (on a good day) each way in car!

I was burgled really badly last year.

I think the same bunch got me. They took nothing, one of them dropped a fiver climbing back out the window, one had rang his mum when they were there, and they left a really nice 'going equipped' toolset behind. Bloomin amatuers.
  • Like 1

However, if we moved to, say Camarthenshire, we would get most of the benefits of the UK, with few of the downsides, and still get stunning scenery etc. It's a choice only you can make .....

Wales is beautiful - I was at Bangor university, lived on Anglesey. Very nice people, as you say stunning scenery and you're not 'stuck on the rock', or better said you don't have to put up with FlyBe & Ma. Reynolds.

A possible advantage of living in Wales compared to the island is that children may not end up so insular, also it's a true bi-lingual area.

Quickly browses for a house on Anglesey...

Think I'd prefer the South West in the hope of a slightly drier climate biggrin.png

I think the difference is narrowing, especially given the extra costs of living on the island and the various increases to the tax threshold below which you do not pay tax in the UK. Getting battered so badly that you need to be flown to Liverpool to your head injuries suggests that the place isn't as safe as it might be, though I suppose you still have to be out at 3am to be at risk.

I don't think I would live anywhere just for tax reasons. Obviously it's nice to have low(er) taxes but it isn't the be all and end all. Other things are far more important like where you feel content. I think you have to be a pretty cynical kind of person to live in a place you really don't like just for a tax saving.

• Like 1

I don't think I would live anywhere just for tax reasons. Obviously it's nice to have low(er) taxes but it isn't the be all and end all. Other things are far more important like where you feel content. I think you have to be a pretty cynical kind of person to live in a place you really don't like just for a tax saving.

Yes, but Woolley, people can be content in more than place. Everywhere is a compromise, and tax is just one factor in the bigger picture. Truth is, most people only ever live in one place.