Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Maxmann

Onch Main Road

I have seen this happen too and its nothing to do with the timings its drivers being impatient and having no sense.

Last week on the way home, going straight thru toward Laxey from Governers Road the lights turned green and I moved forward in the queue of cars but stopped just past the signal head beside the pub because if I went forward I would block the turning up toward Birch Hill.

The car behind me then sat on his horn! I actually reached for my door handle to get out and ask what the problem was but it was raining and I had just had me hair cut. cool.png

Matt can set up the best timed lights in the world but if drivers are stupid it will always fail.

You were correct not to block the turning.

If in you example you then move off and the lights have gone back to red the cars behind you are left behind the white line in the same place they were when the light went red.

Assuming the lights work on a sensor of some sort, everyone ends up stuck there because the system doesn't think anyone is waiting.

I know I was right!

The lights do work on a sensor system too (if you look on the road you will see 2 parallel lines at about 45 degrees to the road and about 10 metres before the signals) but the situation you describe would only happen if there were one or two cars on the junction/ lights.

When the lights are full of cars, causing the situation I described, the sensors always have a car over them so your scenario would never happen.

I know I was right!

The lights do work on a sensor system too (if you look on the road you will see 2 parallel lines at about 45 degrees to the road and about 10 metres before the signals) but the situation you describe would only happen if there were one or two cars on the junction/ lights.

When the lights are full of cars, causing the situation I described, the sensors always have a car over them so your scenario would never happen.

A lot of the sensors work by someone driving over them. Someone being on top of them is exactly what causes the situation I described. Nothing would move unless the car on top of the sensor was able to move forward or back, and the person in the car realised that they had to.

These might work differently, but I have had to get out of the car and tell people who have been sat their for ages to move at the bottom of Broadway turning left, Ballagarey, and crossing Bray Hill into Tromode Road.

It would help if the lights gave priority to traffic in different directions at different times of the day too.

Between say 7am and 10am they should give priority to traffic coming into Douglas and the reverse at the end of the working day. I bet that doesn't currently happen but it would help if they did.

It should be the same with all lights around Douglas.

• Like 1

I know I was right!

A lot of the sensors work by someone driving over them. Someone being on top of them is exactly what causes the situation I described. Nothing would move unless the car on top of the sensor was able to move forward or back, and the person in the car realised that they had to.

These might work differently, but I have had to get out of the car and tell people who have been sat their for ages to move at the bottom of Broadway turning left, Ballagarey, and crossing Bray Hill into Tromode Road.

I am beginning to think you were the car driver behind me who sat on his horn....w00t.gif

Traffic light sensors cut into the road, as fas as I know and Matt might be good enough to explain this properly, are not what you might call active, I am told they are just bits of wire that detect the presence of metal above them, both moving and stationary.

Approach from the Whitebridge heading towards Douglas, 1st set T lights on green but 2nd on red so cars are stuck blocking Royal Ave. they are not bad they are dreadful.

Approach from the Whitebridge heading towards Douglas, 1st set T lights on green but 2nd on red so cars are stuck blocking Royal Ave. they are not bad they are dreadful.

Thats where Common sense comes in if you think you are going to block the junction wait at the lights before. Not rocket science is it

• Like 1

You want to see the lights at Parliament Square in Ramsey. Lezayre Road is closed to all traffic, however the lights still stop traffic going through the square to allow lezayre Road traffic out. Apparently, the lights can't be adjusted while the road is closed because there's an on demand pedestrian function and a filter lane. Meanwhile traffic is stopped for no reason at all.

What is wrong with you people? How busy are you, that a few moments waiting at lights, seems to cause this amount of upset.

I would be worried about your blood pressure more than the traffic lights.

Think of waiting at lights as a natural pause for relaxation, in your driving day, be cool, stretch your legs and listen to some soothing music.

If that does not work get a small fish tank fitted to your dash, look at that when you are stopped.

Still stressed? Then consider doing something else, if you get road rage on this island, you are not really cut out for this driving lark.wink.png

• Like 1

Following 2 near misses and a bunch of evil glares, I shall now be finding an alternative route instead of going through the lights from Avondale Road. Those lights were definitely on green on both occasions, and I am sure that the 2 cars behind me on one occasion and the other car on the other occasion would confirm that.

Maybe that is the plan, make it dangerous so people avoid it, thus easing traffic flow.

You are right Sammy they are absolutely useless surely if the lights are green you have to go, or get some clown playing why were you born so beautiful on their horns, and then you are faced with a red light the traffic coming the other way is on red it was crazy this afternoon people were going thro on red to clear the junction. Bring back the old light system please, a double decker bus got halfway through on green and then it got stopped on red, wait until the bendy bus's try to get up , or down Avondale Road the front half may make it but sure as hell the back half won't.

The new lights dont seem to have reduced the queues much in Onchan when the mountain road is shut. Twice now I have seen that the Police have had to take over to get the traffic flowing.

Whats happened to the sensors Mr Pearson went on about that would improve traffic flow?

More money wasted by the Doi

And a DOI worker has been manually changing the lights every night this week.

Of course it is going to be busy the main route from Ramsey is closed, what I dont understand is why so many people coming from that area come through Onchan instead of going off by the Liverpool Arms.

I'd say at least half of all cars go the Groudle way but they just start queuing near Pokerstars due to the Broadway lights being shit too.