Onch Main Road

I usually go up through the back roads to avoid the lights if I'm going up avondale now, and there's always a stream of traffic doing the same. I wonder if the flow results and back patting figures are skewed by people avoiding the lights?

It's very easy to get stuck on them if you're coming from laxey and want to turn right, but there's no gap left (there's no box junction).

I did this last week and what did I come across? A horse.

A white horse came out from the community centre field area.

Someone in one of the two up two down terraced houses must have a shed in their back yard.

The jockeyess slowly rode it up past the vets to Avondale and turned right opposite the pet shop, then calmly sauntered it up around the corner past the pub.

Those that survived the mayhem of Main Road lights now had to form a line behind the fuckin thing while it wandered around the bends towards Signpost.

And those of us who took the short cut had to sit in another line trying to get onto Avondale.

Amazing, totally selfishly amazing.

And really very funny! It's the way ya tell em.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matt   Do you drive down Avondale Road regularly? Have you ever ended up emerging onto the main road after their lights have changed to green?   I do, and I have, many times.   Sometime the per

*sets up save The Manx Arms petition*

Wrong. I went through the other day in a line of traffic and the light was 100% green. The cars heading for Laxey were looking to move off before I got out of their way, and there were two more cars

Posted Images

One of the main problems as I see it,6 months after the opening of the new traffic lights is that proirity seems to be given to people coming up from royal avenue when surely they shoould have to wait a while like the old ones.

Very true, and Avondale Road as well, I bet the queue for either of these roads is never more than a few cars long whilst the main road can stretch back a long distance, maybe someone important lives on these roads and does not want to wait.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

Its turning into a no go area when it was heralded that it would improve traffic flow.Pearson even said on the radio a few weeks back that data collected has proved this.Must be collated at the same place as crime figures/tourism figures etc,incompetent wankers.

From DOI Twitter/Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/iominfrastructure/posts/483779191698150

In advance of TT, we received some some queries regarding the settings for the traffic lights sequence in Onchan village, and can provide the following update:

There are different settings for ‘Mountain open’ and ‘Mountain closed’ conditions. The Department was aware that the signals were not providing optimum flows in all conditions and revised timings were introduced on Friday (May 24th). We're continuing to monitor and will make further adjustments if required.

Why do people have to login to Facebook to view the DOI's page? That's a bit fuckin' stupid like.

While googling for their page I found this other page which I don't remember anyone linking to on here before but I probably just missed it:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Department-of-Infrastructure-Isle-of-Man/548478651833386#

With a rather amusing video on it:

I had to travel through Onchan Village 4 times today - what an utter carnage. First leg of the journey from Lakeside to Governors Road. 1.30pm - traffic backed up to the traffic lights on Whitebridge Road, eventually got to the lights at the top of Royal Avenue, but even though they were on GREEN we were unable to pass over the Royal Avenue junction as there was a back log of traffic queuing up from the 2nd traffic light opposite the Co-Op. Cars were also queuing up at the junction at the top of Royal Avenue, to join the queue heading into Douglas. Obviously we waited, not wanting to congest the turning down into Royal Avenue, the driver behind was a pillock, beeping and waving his fist at us for not moving (dork). The next drama was when we had to stop at the traffic light opposite the Co-Op - traffic had come to a standstill from the Douglas to Onchan side, the whole of the junction leading up to Avondale Road was blocked and there were cars coming down Avondale Road who could not pass through. Return journey from Douglas proved just as bad, moved through the GREEN light at the Manx Arms, then had to stop, right outside the Co-Op, back of the car blocking the Avondale Road junction - no fault of the driver, she had very carefully driven through the lights and the traffic was appearing to be moving, but then obviously the lights had changed outside the charity shop, so even though the lights behind us were still on GREEN, nobody was going anywhere. Added to this, about 7 motorbikes suddenly appeared behind us, so the junction was yet again blocked. Later on, about 4.00 I had to go to the bank in Onchan, I had a taste of being a pedestrian, trying to cross the road from outside the charity shop - I gave up after 10 minutes, cars were coming through, even though the pedestrian lights were on green - some confused faces on the drivers. I hobbled up to the pedestrian crossing outside the Co-Op (thought it might have been easier and less dangerous) not a chance, WORSE. The pedestrian crossing was blocked with cars and it was impossible to cross the road. I headed back to my friends car (behind Elm Tree House) and called it a day. Mission Impossible to use the pelican crossings in Onchan. It reminded me of the game Pac Man. In Birmingham they have spaghetti junction - in Onchan we have Pac Man Junction.

• Like 1

This week when I've been going out of Douglas on the Groudle Road, I've seen several cars turn left once they get to the junction near the Liverpool Arms.

It must be quicker for them to get from Douglas to Onchan by going round the groudle road than to go through those lights. laugh.png

Edited by Terminal

I was caught there this afternoon for absolutely ages. I wish I had timed it properly but it was at least half an hour queuing from the top of Blackberry Lane.

Why don't they just put a bobby on point duty when the Mountain Road is closed or one way?

met someone who had been stuck for 20mins getting from the roundabout to the lights and almost missed an appointment at the vet, I carefully avoided the issue going via signpost

someone needs their backside kicking over that fiasco, maybe if Manx Radio do a breakfast show from the OB vehicle at the Manx Arms (as has been done at various places in the past) to highlight the issue

maybe it's a bussiness opportunity for newspaper sellers, window washers and bacon bap sellers to have a captive market at rush hours :lol:

Why don't they just put a bobby on point duty when the Mountain Road is closed or one way?

I believe one of the main justifications for the new lights was to eliminate the need for a copper directing the traffic there.

Well, they were wrong!