Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Maxmann

Onch Main Road

I know a lot of people avoid them like the plague and use the ... runs created by the nearby roads, a resident of Wybourn Drive has told me the traffic has increased tremendously since the new lights have been installed.

They're at it again! This evening they had the road up outside the post office, manual traffic lights for a time too.

At teatime today cars were turning out of Avondale Road onto Main Road towards Ramsey well over a minute after the lights to go north had turned green. I doubt that the drivers had all wilfully ignored a red signal. If it is too difficult for Matt Bawden and his team to get the lights functioning properly, could we not switch them off and replace them with currently unemployed people equipped with coloured flags? It could provide work for that tedious troll Thomas Jefferson and stop him filling these pages with his puerile nonsense. Of course, there would be the risk of his being run over by a large vehicle, but I'd be prepared to risk it.

Plenty of large vehicles round here. Let me know when he's up there.

Not been that way for a while but they were stuffed again this evening. Light to no traffic on the main road but coming down Avondale Road was queuing back to Shoprite and the lights were letting through two vehicles each change.w00t.gif

Has anyone in the DOI remembered to flick the new traffic lights in to super duper mountain road closed mode for the rest of this week? If the traffic queue coming into Onchan doesn't start at the Liverpool Arms each morning I'll be disappointed.

Alternatively go Groudle way instead where the queue for Broadway lights starts at Pokerstars.

The lights at the top of Royal Avenue often seem to be on green for only about six seconds, which is only long enough for two or three vehicles. This is, of course, very frustrating if you are stuck in a queue there. If the Department of Infrastructure wants to make the flow of traffic through the village smoother, perhaps it should set both sets of lights for traffic going along Main Road to remain on green unless:

• traffic is waiting at the bottom of Avondale Road or at the top of Royal Avenue (like they do at the Marown traffic lights on Peel Road), or
  • traffic approaches the lights too fast (like they do in Portugal).

I think they should also create a lay-by at the top of Royal Avenue, where the pavement is very wide, to alleviate the problems caused by cars dropping off and picking up at the village hall.

Slightly off topic - does anyone know why random people in hi-viz coats were stalking the traffic lights at Bemahague with clipboards? One of them was even sitting in a camping chair!

Is this the new winter alternate to train spotting?

Slightly off topic - does anyone know why random people in hi-viz coats were stalking the traffic lights at Bemahague with clipboards? One of them was even sitting in a camping chair!

Traffic counts/surveys/monitoring

Traffic counts/surveys/monitoring

To achieve what? What are they counting and monitoring?

I have seen them this week at bray hill/tromode road junction, and the tromode road johnny wattersons junction.

What the hell are they counting or trying to achieve?

Judging by the complete standstill traffic came to about 8:45am this morning around the Bray hill, Stoney road, Cronkbourne area this morning, they're sat there laughing at all the roadworks pissing everyone off.

Ballanard shut, again, people avoiding Peel Road works, Manx Gas digging up on Cronkbourne road and single file up and down Stoney Road with dozens of Chelsea tractors dropping off the nippers - it was chaotic this morning.

Judging by the complete standstill traffic came to about 8:45am this morning around the Bray hill, Stoney road, Cronkbourne area this morning, they're sat there laughing at all the roadworks pissing everyone off.

Ballanard shut, again, people avoiding Peel Road works, Manx Gas digging up on Cronkbourne road and single file up and down Stoney Road with dozens of Chelsea tractors dropping off the nippers - it was chaotic this morning.

Ah you spoiled it!

I was waiting for Matt to tell us how they were monitoring traffic flow along tromode road so they can use the figures to justify some grand scheme at each end. Ignoring the fact that ballanard road is closed.

I have no idea what they were trying to achieve, because unless they were monitoring how much disruption they have caused any figures they get are meaningless

Is it possible they were students doing some traffic counting for school projects?

No,definitely Doi mongers at the bottom of Bray Hill.Onchan traffic lights still not correct,the lights change from green to red even if there is nothing coming down from the Archie.

Is it possible they were students doing some traffic counting for school projects?

The older lady who was sat in the camping chair with a hi-viz jacket and the man stood with her all dressed in tweed, would be just slightly to old to be at school, unless they were teachers?

Matt thanks for your reply!